• Orbtronic - 18650

Votes: 16 36.4%
  • KeePower - 18650

Votes: 18 40.9%

• Total voters

magellan

Honorary Aussie
Re: AW vs Orbtronic vs KeePower 18650

I've used all three, but have not seen significant differences between them. But then I don't push my batteries very hard. I've also tried the other major brands (LG, Sanyo, Samsung), again, all decent cells in my experience.

As for the cost of AWs, it's not a problem since I rarely have more than 3 flashlights that use lithium ion cells in use at any one time. Also I only have maybe 2 dozen of the larger lithium ions (18650 & larger) as I'm mainly into small pocket lights (CR2/15270 and smaller) and those don't cost as much.

On the other hand, we have almost 120 AAA and AA NiMH batteries in use because of all the remotes and other devices around the house that use them.

Last edited:

tonys

Newly Enlightened
Re: AW vs Orbtronic vs KeePower 18650

Slightly off topic but I just found out that EVVA and Keeppower used to be the same company and split for some reason. According to my source they still get their components from the same place and have the same basic specifications.

I might see if EVVA are willing to send some to HKJ for testing.

RMM

Newly Enlightened
I have to agree that the AW brand is expensive.

I have some KeepPowers but I sell EVVA because I could confirm they were using a 3 MOSFET protection circuit.

I think the Blazer brand also use the newer 3 chip PCB as well.

Here is a comparison shot from another forum of the KeepPower and EVVA PCBs (although this photo is old now).

i-fvpRmzJ-L.jpg

Tony, yes, that photo is almost two years old now. I ought to know, it's mine. For those who are interested, Google Evva vs. Keeppower if you want to see the original thread (unless I'm mistaken, I can't post a direct link here).

The Orbtronic Protected 3400 batteries also use three MOSFETs. The protection circuit is nearly identical to the Evva circuit: It uses the same FETs, the same Seiko IC, the same component values, and the same component values. The Orbtronic PCB has KP markings on it. If you tore the Evva and Orbtronic batteries down without any identifying markers you would have a hard time telling them apart. There are slight differences, but not much at all.

Also, not all Evva protected batteries use three MOSFETs--they also produce a 2 MOSFET version, so you would be wrong to assume that just because the protected cell is from Evva the PCB has three MOSFETs on it.

For most of the kind of lights I build the three MOSFET PCB shows definite advantages: it has less resistance and can handle higher continuous loads without tripping or overheating. The one advantage of the 2 MOSFET PCB is that its diameter is slightly smaller, allowing for a bit less bulge in that area of the battery.

tonys

Newly Enlightened
Tony, yes, that photo is almost two years old now. I ought to know, it's mine. For those who are interested, Google Evva vs. Keeppower if you want to see the original thread (unless I'm mistaken, I can't post a direct link here).

The Orbtronic Protected 3400 batteries also use three MOSFETs. The protection circuit is nearly identical to the Evva circuit: It uses the same FETs, the same Seiko IC, the same component values, and the same component values. The Orbtronic PCB has KP markings on it. If you tore the Evva and Orbtronic batteries down without any identifying markers you would have a hard time telling them apart. There are slight differences, but not much at all.

Also, not all Evva protected batteries use three MOSFETs--they also produce a 2 MOSFET version, so you would be wrong to assume that just because the protected cell is from Evva the PCB has three MOSFETs on it.

For most of the kind of lights I build the three MOSFET PCB shows definite advantages: it has less resistance and can handle higher continuous loads without tripping or overheating. The one advantage of the 2 MOSFET PCB is that its diameter is slightly smaller, allowing for a bit less bulge in that area of the battery.

Thanks very much for the answer - although I think most of that's already been covered. And I did state the photo is old.

When it comes to suppliers I never assume anything - having been caught before with dud products and not only from China but the USA too. So many of them stretch the truth it's not funny. Where I am located every man and his dog are selling AW and Keeppower batteries so I wanted a good brand that not everyone else is selling. So I picked EVVA. At this point I only sell EVVA 18650 3400 mAh with the 3 mosfet circuit.

I have some older Fenix lights that I can't get any protected 18650 batteries into (at least all the brands Ive tried) so I have to use use unprotected batteries in those. I would prefer a protected battery but since those lights are relegated to the test pile now, its no big deal.

I think Ive seen Nitecore pushing their branded IMR batteries that appear to be unprotected. Do you have any experience with them?

Oh yeah - EVVA have agreed to send batteries to HKJ for testing.

RMM

Newly Enlightened
Age is different than source.

No, I don't have any experience with the Nitecore IMR batteries. I usually am not a fan of an expensive battery that has a "mystery" cell inside.

If the lights don't fit protected cells then just run unprotected...live life on the edge! :devil:
I get an adrenaline rush each time I insert an unprotected cell and pull the trigger! The biggest rush of all is when I stick three unprotected 26650s :eek: in series :eek:in a light that pulls 15A+. It's like Russian Roulette. :nana:

(Since most of you here don't know me that well, I'm being just a bit sarcastic...hence the smiley faces :))

markr6

Flashaholic
Age is different than source.

No, I don't have any experience with the Nitecore IMR batteries. I usually am not a fan of an expensive battery that has a "mystery" cell inside.

If the lights don't fit protected cells then just run unprotected...live life on the edge! :devil:
I get an adrenaline rush each time I insert an unprotected cell and pull the trigger! The biggest rush of all is when I stick three unprotected 26650s :eek: in series :eek:in a light that pulls 15A+. It's like Russian Roulette. :nana:

(Since most of you here don't know me that well, I'm being just a bit sarcastic...hence the smiley faces :))

Can't beat a sense of humor!! To be serious though, I can't imagine spending over $10 on an 18650. The $15-$20 cells out there? Madness!! But that's their decision. Good quality cell, charger and common sense is all I need.

Pick a hand! DIDI MAU!!!

deerhunter.jpg

OldSage

Newly Enlightened
New to cpf. Clueless to which brand of 18650 is the "better" manufacture. Following HJK recommendations of sticking with battery built around Sanyo, Panasonic, Samsung.... and following the dated trend on this poll (lemming effect?). Originally placed and order for Orbtronic 3100 (~$56/4). Cancelled. No Prime so AMZX is still in the process of shipping after 4 days. Purchased 5 of Sanyo based KeepPower 3500s from Ilumn for ~$55USD. Cost factor, bit more capacity and higher sustained (on paper) discharge rate. Seems to be a better value.