battery recommendation to go with PowerEx MH-C9000 for game camera

jp_over

Newly Enlightened
Friends,

I have a game camera (and several flashlights) that I'd like to use rechargeable batteries with - is there any type/model out there that can stand really low-dead discharge (using the battery until it's totally empty)? I've read that rechargeable batteries should not be discharged too low which would mean I'd have to change them out before they're below a certain charge equating to checking on the game camera more often.

I've done some searching but could not get a clear answer since there are so many types. I did find the PowerEx MH-C9000 as one of the recommended chargers. Also, one option I've considered is simply using some Eneloop AA 1800 cycle Ni-MH batteries and only using them for periods when I know I can recharge them before they hit an extremely low discharge point.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Power Me Up

Enlightened
Over discharging any NiMH battery isn't good for it - including Eneloops, but experience has shown that they are more robust than a lot of other brands, so I think that they're a good choice.

Reverse charging is an even bigger problem than running them completely flat - fortunately, Eneloops tend to be well matched, so this doesn't tend to be as much of a problem with them. If you have multiple sets of Eneloops, you can use your C9000 to arrange them into groups that are even more closely matched and that should help even further.

Ardillakilla

Newly Enlightened
I've been using trail cameras for nature photography since 2012. I have two Bushnells and one Moultrie. I use low self-discharge NiMH batteries in all of them. For AA, I use Eneloops and for Cs, I use Tenergy Centura. The AA Eneloops I charge with a C9000 while the larger batteries are charged with a hobby charger.

IMO, the real risk of running these batteries low is having insufficient power for your camera and missing photos (or videos) not damaging the batteries.