batteryless flashlights

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been very impressed with the ouptut of my child's crank flashlight. It puts out more than enough juice to work with LED's and what I would like to see would be a universal crank-up energy pack that you could power a Petzl Tikka or a PT Quad with. This would be a great addition to my hiking gear as I could forget the batteries at home.

Of course, there would need to be some way to make the energy pack weather resistant at least!

-Goatee

Dragon

Newly Enlightened
I think many people have flashlights, here in the US, but I'd also say that many of those flashlight owners have flashlights with dead or low batteries. I was very happy one time to actually have a flashlight in my car. I was thirty miles away from home, late a night, and for some reason I couldn't drive with my lights on. I got my flashlight out and used so I could see the road by holding it out the window. Whenever there was an oncoming car, I would temporarily turn the headlights on, then turn them back off.

I also remember another time previous to that when the sky was cloudy, and it was late. There wasn't a light anywhere around. I had to change a flat literally by feel. A blind man probably could have done it faster. I sure wished I had a flashlight then. It was one of the main reasons I kept one in the car, later. You never know when you will need a flashlight!

BTW, I didn't know lithium batteries were rechargeable. That's one good thing in its favor. I imagine I'll still keep the cheapy shake light, just the same. But it would not have worked in the situation I mentioned earlier, with such a puny light.

Years later, I got pretty wise about flashlights. For awhile, I worked for a security company as a guard. I was not happy with the brightness and spot quality with many flashlights. I went to a nice customer-friendly store where the owner allowed me to test flashlights for the qualities I wanted and got a very nice flashlight which I was completely happy with. It produced a nice smooth spot and I could shine it at a building half a city block away and see what I wanted to see. Sadly, I lost it and don't remember what the brand name was.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sub_Umbra said:
DonShock,

How much did the Diamond cost?
$25 from here: http://www.quality-items-flashlights.com/index.php/cat/c1271_Gen--IV---1-2-Hr-Shake.html
BTW: A couple other difference between the NightStar and the Diamond I have noticed.
1. Rebound magnets on the end of the Nightstar seem stronger. It never bottoms out while shaking, the Diamond sometimes does.
2. With the switch in the off position, the reed switch on the Diamond sometimes activates during shaking, the NightStar never does.
3. Diamond is shorter (8") than Nightstar (10") with slightly smaller head.

Personally, I prefer the NightStar and think it is worth the extra $15. But if cost is an issue, the Diamond is actually usable unlike the cheapie $5-$20 ones that are starting to show up everywhere.

Last edited: