Beam Type preferences

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
For EDC and most of my day to day personal lighting needs, I prefer a more floody type beam. I have some PDA film on my EDC which give a brighter, wider spill and still retains a bit of a wider hotspot. Since getting my ZebraLight though I am really liking 100% flood. I have some FASTCAR diffuser material coming which I have read creates a nice flood.

What I like about floody beams is that when I am looking around, I do not have to move my light around and I also see much wider area. I still like to have throw in other lights if I'm out in the woods but for what I use lights for day to day mostly require flood.

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
I just got to try some lights out last night at a corn maze and around the site, and I was surprised to find myself preferring my floody LED EDC over my 2C 5761 with AW 3 level driver. I figured the incan would be much nicer for outdoors use, but since your eyes adjust to the brightest part of the beam, it can be harder to get a sense of where you are stepping. And if I tried to use the spill to illuminate the ground, the spot was still distracting even when directed horizontally due to the proximity of the corn stalks all around.

My EDC uses a Seoul U bin with a warm tint in a Q3 with that wonderful textured reflector. Not only could it evenly illuminate my path ahead while letting me see where I was stepping, but it could also light up an entire tree at once in a very uniform and satisfying way to the ooohhs and aaahhs of other parents; as opposed to most other lights that illuminated just a small spot on the tree (not that I needed to see the tree mind you :p). And when my daughter ran off and I was trying to find her amongst the other kids, I couldn't very well shine a concentrated beam into their faces to identify them. I just don't find myself needing to see far off in the distance very often, but should I need to I have plenty of lights for that too.

The experience taught me that although reading about beam patterns and trying them out on a wall can make you think you need this or that, there is no substitute for actually getting out there in a real world situation where you use your lights to complete a task for seeing what really works best. While I used to think my EDC was too floody, I think I will leave it well enough alone for now - at least until R bin Crees arrive. For my next trip to a corn maze I will bring my floody Carley h1499p in a 2C Sportsman host and my EDC (at least).

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the case of Cree for instance, a reflector can not match the intensity of a TIR or aspheric of equal diameter due to forward lumen loss.
Does this mean the original cree optic should be better or worse than a reflector?

(because the McR-XR 19 mm eats it with ease)

aggiegrads

Newly Enlightened
I agree with almost everyone else that spill is good if you have a nice transition from the hotspot. For close distances, I prefer total flood. All of my surefire lights (except my milky) have beam diffusers.

'95, '03. Whoop.

Last edited:

MTHall51

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

New to the forum here. Just curious about the rest of you.
Do you prefer the traditional spot with spill of the paraboloid-based flashlights or the more defined shape produced by TIR or other optics?

I myself like the higher punch with less spill but thats just my personal flavor.

Anyone?

Thanks.

I don't even know what to call it, but I far prefer a super intensely pre focused beam that will throw the greatest distance with a blindingly bright pin point light. What is this kind of beam called and how do I get it??

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those who like a nice smooth transition with minimal artifacts I suggest taking a look at the Inova X03. Maybe there are some beam shots posted on CPF somewhere. This light has a very nice flood, check it indoors and out if you can.

Supernam

Enlightened
I like traditional medium orange peel such as that with my Novatac. But I also have this huge affliction towards FLOODLIGHTS! My Milkyspit ML-1 makes me happy every time. I also love my Inova X5. In my opinion, floodlights are the most useful and easy on the eyes. While I enjoy my mop, they don't do well for in the house stuff.

Bushman5

Enlightened
Pencil beam spot preference for me. I have zero use for flood or wider beam patterns.

ag94whoop

Newly Enlightened
Does this mean the original cree optic should be better or worse than a reflector?

(because the McR-XR 19 mm eats it with ease)

The XR had a 100 degree beam, slightly wider than the 90 degree of the XRE.
Theoretically it would work slightly better in a reflector, but the XR wasnt a point source like the XRE is either.

Better comparison is the SSC P4. In a wide mouth reflector, the P4 will have a higher percentage of photon incident upon the reflector than the XRE will due to a wider lambertian pattern. So with equal lumens, the P4 would be brigher in that reflector. However, many reflectors in smaller flashlights are deep will a smaller opening to depth ratio, meaning it will be very similar.

In contrast, an Aspheric will capture a higher percentage of lumens from an XRE than from a P4.