Benchmade griptilian thread!!!

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581554

scroll down for the pics of the grippie guts and liner.

These knives are tough as nails!

The vex is also really nice - a bit heavy for my edc need and I love the axis lock of the grips - but I think the look of it and blade shape are great. Love the details you get on this knife.

Last edited:

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahh sorry to ehar it man, shipping knives outside the us is such a hassle, even manual knives liekthis, I hate knife alws, just like gun laws they onyl hurt the responsible people using them...

It's probalby just their store policy, everybody else have no problem shipping knives outside u.s.

cutlerylover

Banned
probably...I kniow canada is sometimes not seen as international to some companies..like many will ship to US and cabada only but nowhere else, others just ship within the US only I guess...

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a minigrip on the way from newgraham, should be here tomorrow. I had a full size grippie but decided to sell it cuz of the sheepleness of the Peoples' Republik of New Jersey and their paranoid mindset...

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard there is no difference, D2, S30V all are just short for CPM-S30V and CPM-D2...I coudkl eb wrong but I think crucible steel is the onyl peopel who make those steels...At last this is what soemone on the forums told me then another person backed them up on the reply...?
All S30V are CPM-S30V but very few D2 tool steels are CPM-D2. CPM-D2 is only made by Crucible, while plain D2 is made by a bunch of steel makers.

S30V is a Crucible proprietary steel, no one else makes it.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Two questions, boyz:

1. We went to the beach the other day and my son took a dip in the ocean with his mini Grip still attached to his shorts. He rinsed it later with fresh water and lubed it, but the internal spring is showing signs of corrosion.

Any good ways of getting rid of the rust and returning the spring to its original luster? The knife works just fine, BTW, it's just the cosmetics that's bugging him.

2. I've been eyeing a Ritter Grip. Anybody care to share what are the dis/advantages of the S30V steel over the regular minigrip's 440C?

Also, how durable is the teflon coating vs. the stone washed finish? I read somewhere that the latter somehow seals the pores of the steel (but I'm a sucker for all black stuff).

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got mine about 20mins ago...Just snapped a pic with my E1B with glo-fob for dramatic effect...LOL....

cutlerylover

Banned
All S30V are CPM-S30V but very few D2 tool steels are CPM-D2. CPM-D2 is only made by Crucible, while plain D2 is made by a bunch of steel makers.

S30V is a Crucible proprietary steel, no one else makes it.

ok so half right, lol Ill take it, hahah yeah that makes sense because S30V is made for knives but D2 is used for alot of other thgins, so I cna see that...thanks for the info!

cutlerylover

Banned
benchamde does their finished well coated or not no worries there unless you get a D2 or similar tool steel it wotn mater mcuh eather way, as for S30V vs 440C, S30V is just a much harder steel makign it hold an edge MUCH longer, pronlem is its hard to some people to sharpen beign that its so hard so its a give and take, BTW all grips these days have 154CM standard steel which is like right in the middle of 440C and S30V...

greenLED

Flashaholic
Thank you very much, Jeff.

I must have older minigrips; both are 440C.

Still debating whether the different blade shape and steel justify the extra money. I could basically buy 2 minigrips for the price of a single Ritter. :thinking:

cutlerylover

Banned
its a tough choice there are so many versiosn of the grip too...now the latest was the hollow ground modified sheepsfoot with the round openign hole, lol too many to choose! many people love the ritter grips just due to the steel upgrade...they love their grips but wanted an even better blade...

mahoney

Enlightened
The Ritter blade shape is very nice and cuts a bit better than the regular Griptilian. However, I was not too pleased that I had some chipping of the S30V blade under light to moderate use. As always YMMV

FWIW, the black coating on my D2 Griptilian did not last all that long with heavy use before becoming quite scuffed.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Thanks, mahoney. I've been reading and it seems that the black coating is cool but it does get mangled. I have a couple of fixed blades that are black coated, and they've gotten damaged over the years. I can't imagine putting a smaller knife through what I've put those fixed blades, though.

Jeff, I like the Grip's thumbstub version best (both because of the stud and the blade's shape). I like the shape on the Ritter's blade a lot too.

IcantC

Enlightened
Wow nice pics people.

I was looking to pick up a Benchmade Mini Grip and I read some people are able to get them for $50? Any links guys?

I saw the links posted by cutlery lover and some on ebay.

Cheapest I have found is $60 shipped on ebay, for example
http://cgi.ebay.com/Benchmade-556-M...39:1|66:2|65:15|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I am looking for black handles( I guess olive is ok) and wanted plain edge with a drop point. I would like one that will not rust or corrode easily(due to getting wet, sweat or age) I was about to buy the D2 from Cabelas, but read the black coating wears off.

So will the $60 one in the above link be ok?

Also anyone know where I can get a kydex sheath for the mini grip?

Thanks!

PS Cutlery lover, thanks for the sharpening vids and others on youtube :).

Last edited:

greenLED

Flashaholic
IcantC, I've gotten my Grips off the CPFM. All of them were "like new" and $5-10 bucks less than what I could find elsewhere online.

Those $60 shipped sounds reasonable, BTW.