Benchmade griptilian thread!!!

Bear Claw Chris Lappe

Newly Enlightened
Arrived today!!!!!!

551-ORGopen.jpg

dilbert

Enlightened
My 551-ORG came in the mail last night. It's about the same size as my Kershaw Whirlwind, but it just seems so much nicer. I hope they come out with a mini in the orange. A mini Griptilian would be the perfect replacement for my Kershaw Scallion... uh-oh, it's starting.

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my mini grip today:

Want a better look at the Damascus blade I put on it, click the pics to enlarge :)

Last edited:

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, how did I miss this thread?

So my mini griptilian was my first "real" knife...I really wanted a silver bladed knife with the OD handle. At the time, Benchmade wasn't making them that way. So I bought a black handled version from lighthound I believe, and sent it to BM to have it re-gripped (I think that ran $30).

More recently, I realized that with all the other knives I've accumulated, I'd been neglecting my mini grip. Enter Tom Krein.

Over the course of an email or two and a discussion on the phone, I realized it could be made new again. I simply drew the shape I wanted the blade to be (sort of a modified wharncliffe), and sent it off to him.

Result:
IMG_3110.jpg

It's a whole new knife. The grind he did is unreal - This knife cuts like it never did before. I think he has the edge down to .01. Best of all it's quite easy to keep sharp, not that it needs it. The edge is so small that it cuts even when its getting dull. When I first got the knife back, I used it to cut through the thin plastic wrap on a case of Gatorade. It went through the ring, and continued through a bottle!:eek:

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a nice blade TK did for you. Sort of like the thumbhole modified wharny shape but with the thmbstud. I like it.

PG5768

Newly Enlightened
Wow, how did I miss this thread?

So my mini griptilian was my first "real" knife...I really wanted a silver bladed knife with the OD handle. At the time, Benchmade wasn't making them that way. So I bought a black handled version from lighthound I believe, and sent it to BM to have it re-gripped (I think that ran $30).

More recently, I realized that with all the other knives I've accumulated, I'd been neglecting my mini grip. Enter Tom Krein.

Over the course of an email or two and a discussion on the phone, I realized it could be made new again. I simply drew the shape I wanted the blade to be (sort of a modified wharncliffe), and sent it off to him.

Result:
IMG_3110.jpg

It's a whole new knife. The grind he did is unreal - This knife cuts like it never did before. I think he has the edge down to .01. Best of all it's quite easy to keep sharp, not that it needs it. The edge is so small that it cuts even when its getting dull. When I first got the knife back, I used it to cut through the thin plastic wrap on a case of Gatorade. It went through the ring, and continued through a bottle!:eek:

Wow. :twothumbs That looks great. Tom does excellent work, doesn't he. :thumbsup:

prime77

Enlightened
I have a minigrip and the full size one as well. I like them both but I like the more solid feel of the scales on the minigrip. I remember reading on some forum that's because the metal plate in the minigrips smaller scales take up more space inside. I can't seem to find where but I read that you can fill the hollow gaps inside of the full size grip with some type of epoxy to make it feel more solid and take away that hollow wack sound you get when flip open and close the blade. Has anyone done this to there full size grips?

Joe_Karp

Newly Enlightened
First post, not the last.

Tom Krein does amazing work doesn't he? That's a great looking blade. Grips make good utility knives and are hard to kill. I've owned a few but favor Benchmades with full liners. The one I now own which isn't going anywhere soon is an M2 Ritter.

One of the best deals is that 551BKD2 available from a certain sporting goods place that rhymes with 'TheFella's'. :whistle:

Joe

greenLED

Flashaholic
Heya, guys, how do you put a mini-grip back together again? :)

I just spent 2+ hours fiddling with the darned thing. I tried a couple of different approaches, and none of them seem very efficient. Especially the part where you have to align the washers and the blade to secure the pivoting post seemed to take a long time.

After much fiddling, what I did was assemble one side of the knife (scales, spring, metal liner, and then I used the pivoting post to align one washer, then the blade. Then I put the other scale back on, slid the second washer in, wriggled it a little and secured the screw.

I'm curious to learn what steps you guys follow.

PG5768

Newly Enlightened

I just spent 2+ hours fiddling with the darned thing. I tried a couple of different approaches, and none of them seem very efficient. Especially the part where you have to align the washers and the blade to secure the pivoting post seemed to take a long time.

After much fiddling, what I did was assemble one side of the knife (scales, spring, metal liner, and then I used the pivoting post to align one washer, then the blade. Then I put the other scale back on, slid the second washer in, wriggled it a little and secured the screw.

I'm curious to learn what steps you guys follow.

Wish I could help. Haven't take my Grip apart yet, though. This link might help, though:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581554&highlight=griptilian+%22disassembly%22

Last edited:

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast

If he hasn't posted them yet, Kevin Wilkins will have instructions up soon for his Griptilikans handles. I remember i saw him mention somewhere that the mini is a bit tougher than the full size, and he would post instructions for them. I haven't seen the instructions yet though, although I haven't looked very hard yet either. I figured i'd find them when he got his mini grip scales back in stock. Incidentally, Moore Cutlery got them in stock on Friday...

greenLED

Flashaholic
Cool links, guys. I'll have to try the matchstick trick next time. Like I said, aligning the washers and the blade holes was the most time consuming part.

The mini looks a bit different from the pics of that full size Ritter.