Benefits of choosing 1.5V rechargeable Li-ion AA/AAA batteries

XTAR Light

Enlightened
Vendor
A customer used some rechargeable 1.5V Li-ion and 1.2V NiMH AA batteries in his Christmas decoration lights. He found the 1.5V Li-ion batteries seemed discharging quickly and lasting less than NiMH batteries. But, he also observed the light was much brighter and stable with using 1.5V Li-ion batteries comparing to the NiMH batteries. So how to explain this situation? Let's find out more.

NiMH battery provides 1.2V standard voltage. While, its discharge current gradually decreases during usage. It could last longer in the low or medium drain devices. But the performance is not so stable. And the voltage may not be enough for many appliances. For the 1.5V rechargeable Li-ion battery, designed with a built-in internal 1.5V regulator, it can keep a constant 1.5V output. And there will be no voltage drop during discharge, more stable, powerful on devices. It enhance the whole performance.

Especially, for equipment that depends on the voltage, is definitely stronger with 1.5V Li-ion batteries. Such as thermometer, Oculus quest controllers, blood pressure monitors, and even some flashlights. They consider 1.2V a low or dead battery, and constantly need to replace new battery. Then, NiMH batteries don't work well in these devices, and alkaline doesn't last very long, also expensive.

And there are more benefits of choosing rechargeable 1.5V Li-ion batteries. Such as fast charging speed, low self-discharge rate, no memory effect, working well in harsh environments. Take xtar 1.5V AA Li-ion batteries with indicator for example, it only needs 1.7hrs to top up four of them in LC4 charger, saving your charging time. And their cycle life is up to 1200 times. One cell is equal to 1200 disposable batteries, more economical and eco-friendly.

xtar 1.5v Li-ion battery&deco.jpg

Perhaps it could be said that Christmas lights powered by Li-ion will put out more total light over time but NiMH will keep low drain, low voltage stuff on longer? Was that a measured observation or a confident belief?

idk what this low drain talk is, but I draw 5A off NiMH regularly. I would consider 1.5V Li-ion for some special applications, but most have a builtin charger, which may be convenient for some but not for me. AA Li-ion are more expensive typically than higher capacity 18650 cells, probably because of the builtin charger I don't want, and I haven't yet seen any of them with flattops. Xtar seem to be less expensive than a lot of others, and looks like they don't have a built-in charger, so if I do get a quad, they'll probably be Xtar