Beryllium Copper Rotary Anniversary Run

LuxTacGear

Newly Enlightened
Re: Beryllium Copper Executive and Rotary Anniversary Run

I want one. Have a thing for copper. It'd be my first HSD.

That would be one hell of a first HDS, you'll definitely be impressed and speechless at the quality and craftmanship. I love my Ti rotary.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

At all the appearance of Copper - Beryllium (also named Beryllium Bronze) may differ due to the different metals in the alloy. I have the Steve Ku BeCu LF2XT, and this light looks more yellow (maybe a little yellow - orange), almost like the Bronze HDS, not red / like copper at all.

But there are also Copper - Berylium alloys that looks more than copper.

For me I would like both, a copper look or a more yellow - orange look. A look that is different to the classic black of most of my HDS lights is always cool!

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

I definitely want it a copper looking copper. Don't want any confusion with it being brass or bronze. Definitely want it to scream COPPER!!! but be as strong as knife steel (600 degrees for 2 hours... just like a Thanksgiving turkey at my place).

pilo7448

Enlightened

I would definitely like it more "copper" even if it gives up a little bit of strength.. Imo

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

d13avo

Enlightened

I definitely want it a copper looking copper. Don't want any confusion with it being brass or bronze. Definitely want it to scream COPPER!!! but be as strong as knife steel (600 degrees for 2 hours... just like a Thanksgiving turkey at my place).

Completely agree

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

My wife will kill me, but I'd be in for a true copperish light.

My wife thought i bought more, but i told her they were ordered last yr(which was actually the case)

A hammered look would be nice, especially for the rare case you drop the light...any damage would blend in and look natural

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast

There is one more remedy, if it is not red enough - FeCl3 - ferric chloride 3, it does not touch copper, but eats other admixtures. Once I took a brass coin and put it in this composition, he stopped being yellow, he turned red)) I think we need to repeat this experience, but first degrease the surface to avoid stains

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

@Hogo
Only for better understanding on how the "hammered look" could looks like. Is it correctly that the head of light in the linked thread (first picture in initial posting) has this hammered look you are meaning? (Link)
I did not included the picture directly, since we are here the HDS section, hope linking is ok.

If this is the hammered look the HDS would look really cool! 8) But I assume that this light would be than far away from the regular Ti rotary pricing....but anyway even than I would be interested. :D I do not have that much Executive models. Therefore I like this of an Special Material Executive Light idea!

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast

@Hogo
Only for better understanding on how the "hammered look" could looks like. Is it correctly that the head of light in the linked thread (first picture in initial posting) has this hammered look you are meaning? (Link)
I did not included the picture directly, since we are here the HDS section, hope linking is ok.

If this is the hammered look the HDS would look really cool! 8) But I assume that this light would be than far away from the regular Ti rotary pricing....but anyway even than I would be interested. :D I do not have that much Executive models. Therefore I like this of an Special Material Executive Light idea!
when I was thinking hammered look, I was thinking a bit less hammered than the pics shown in link, but this may possibly work too

I was thinking something a bit more natural looking, not the golf ball dimple look, IDK

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well, I have learned more in the last few days.

Raw material cost of beryllium copper is about 20-25% more than that of titanium. With that, I did some number crunching. It would end up costing slightly more than the titanium did by about $50. I was hoping for it to run less, but I didn't realize BeCu actually cost more than ti. While we could go with just a base copper, the thought of having it as strong as knife steel is very appealing. It's an HDS thing.
I have one quote back from our machinist and another quote out to a another machinist... who happens to make their own lights and does excellent work.

Hammered look is out. Standard HDS knurling is in.

I really want to get an Executive run of these, but that will largely depend on demand. Cost would most likely be the same (even though I don't have a definitive cost yet) but as Rotary sells 10 to 1 to Executives... well, that plays a part.

I will probably run a poll later in the week to get a better feel of Rotary/Executive split.

Nichia!

Banned

No. Big No to beryllium copper after this!! We are talking about 1400$+??? Fo copper??!! So no

Am in for base copper just like any other light out there like the Maratac

Standard copper is awesome and looks and feels awesome as well we don't need something look like copper?? I mean in the final product it will look weird?? Not like other copper flashlights/gear

Nichia!

Banned

Copper is soft metal and so what? Am perfectly fine with this..

We are not going use it as hammer! It is a collector piece

So please keep the cost down like the Brass run

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast

No. Big No to beryllium copper after this!! We are talking about 1400$+??? Fo copper??!! So no

Raw material cost of beryllium copper is about 20-25% higher... that doesn't mean the final cost is going to be 20-25% higher. It won't be. I was just hoping for less than titanium.

It would end up costing slightly more than the titanium did by about $50. Read the entire post before jumping to conclusions.

Nichia!

Banned
Beryllium Copper Executive and Rotary Anniversary Run

I read it since you first post it!! And I know where will this end up

Last edited: