best e:mail program? i've got Eudora pro

GeoffChan

Enlightened
Re: best e:mail program? i\'ve got Eudora pro

[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
So, no one knows the settings I need to type in to get my hotmail accounts to work on Thunderbird? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

let me get back to you with that.

Geoff

r2

Enlightened

I'm a loyal mutt user personally (www.mutt.org). I've used Outlook, Eudora, KMail, and several other clients, but in the end mutt is always faster, cleaner, and more configurable. It's not GUI based, which I think is one of the best reasons to use it, but that will probably turn most people off immediately.

- Russ

K A

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:
Latest version of pegasus has several levels of spam control. I am not up on the terminology, but I think it's a little more than simple keyword level.

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as the current version 4.12a of Pegasus it is keyword based. It does not 'learn' unless you manually edit the content file. You can set 'weights' to how much those keywords should affect its reaction.

I have not tried the beta 4.21 so I am not sure if they've changed anything.

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
So, no one knows the settings I need to type in to get my hotmail accounts to work on Thunderbird? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hotmail is not using a standard POP type mail server to handle it's mail. I do not believe any regular mail program can handle checking Hotmail other than Outlook or Outlook Express. The reason being is that MS bought Hotmail, so they have built that capability into their two mail programs.

I think Yahoo allows that in their "pay for" accounts, Hotmail may also. Again, that's only if you pay for it.

Mike

GeoffChan

Enlightened

copied from http://texturizer.net/thunderbird/faq.html

[ QUOTE ]
Can I access my Netscape WebMail or Hotmail accounts through Thunderbird?

No. Netscape WebMail and Hotmail use proprietary protocols. To access WebMail directly through an e-mail client requires you to use Netscape 6+ with AIM; to do so with Hotmail requires either Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express. There are also freeware applications available that will let you do the same thing, such as Hotmail Popper.

Another example is Gotmail, which is a utility to non-interactively download email from a Hotmail account. It can download messages from all folders, messages from certain folders, or new messages only. There are options to delete downloaded messages or mark them as read. Gotmail can forward messages to other email addresses or save them as local mbox-style mailboxes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Geoff

BF Hammer

Enlightened

Another Pegasus Mail user here! I would say the prime advantage to pegasus is the fact that it isn't made by Microsoft or Netscape, so it isn't targeted by the mutant freakoid code junkies out there like the big boys are. It has the customary features and security can be as tight or as loose as the user desires. Spam filters can be improved, but it should be sufficient for most users.

turbodog

Flashaholic

If you want spam control. Go with a 3rd party pop pop checker with whitelist/blacklist/opt-in/etc. Spameater.com took my 150 spams a day down to 3-4 a day.