Best LEO "patrol duty" flashlight

Mikjk

Newly Enlightened
Re: Best LEO \"patrol duty\" flashlight

Lightjunkie,

i'm on the job as well, patrol for 5 years. here is what i carry while on duty and why.

i have an old SF 6Z, one of the first syringe type bodies, and it has been 'upgraded' to a z44 bezel (pyrex lens). reason i had to do that was the original lexan lens became scratched up and began warping a little after 6-7 years of use. the 6Z is ALWAYS on my belt. it is compact, has good throw and light output, and is using lithium 123A batteries so that i don't have to worry about a battery charge draining. on day shifts, if i have to clear a building, it's right there and powerful enough for that task. i carry my 6Z in the SF polymer carrier... the combo has served me very well.

on evening or night shifts, i also carry a SF M3 and carry it in a SOE M3 pouch (has buckle closure for security). the reason i carry this light is that i like light at night... lots of it. not all of the cars in my district r equipped with spotlights, and i find that the takedown light from the lightbar most inadequate for lighting up the inside of a vehicle on a traffic stop. i have only recently been using this light and am evaluating it... but i REALLY like it! the M3 has the HOLA (MN11) bulb + Z57 'clickie' switch + PILA 150S batteries. i may have to go to the LOLA (MN10) lamp as i have to 'double tap' the tailcap to get the M3 to turn on. i don't have to 'double tap' the M3 if i use the LOLA lamp. but i REALLY like the HOLA lamp... lots of liiiiigggghhhttt!!! hehe... i also like the fact that i can use the same technique to hold the 6Z or M3 while i have my sidearm out. for myself, the SOE M3 pouch is superior in quality when compared to all other current M3 pouches.

before i was carrying the M3, i was carrying the SF 8NX. reason i picked this light was that it was rechargeable and has pretty powerful light output. it rode with me on night shifts for 4 years. the only problem i had was when it fell out of my jacket pocket and dropped onto the ground while at cells, when searching a prisoner, and cracked the lens. SF sent a new bezel to replace it free of charge. i learned that should i carry a flashlight, i should get a proper rig to carry it in. the 8NX is still with me on nights, but just in my duty bag as a back up (for myself or another officer...just in case).

i'm also receiving a SF L6 at the end of the month. i'm thinking of using it on duty too, but the M3 is going to be hard to beat. the L6 is more for my Bug Out Bag, due to the longer light output. i agree with others that have mentioned that incandecent lights r superior to LEDs for patrol. the light output, throw, and ability to penetrate the shadows is very important... none of the LED flashlights i have tried compare to the incandecents.

i still carry the issue 3 'C' cell M*glight with the orange traffic cone for traffic points. the batteries r supplied free by my department. it sits in my duty bag most of the time.

the SF Dominator is too big for me... but u will have to make the evaluation based on ur circumstances. lots of good advise here, good luck picking!

stay safe! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast

No disrespect to any of the expertise shown here, I too am curious about the LED and incan thing. I am not a LEO or other 'mission critical' user.

Recently, I had an opportunity to take two of my lights out into a parking lot lit by that kind of street lamp that seems to give everything an orange-yellow glow. Not sure what it's called. I took the C2-90 (Surefire P90 in a C2 with R123s, 105 lumens for 25 minutes) and my U2 Digital Ultra. SF has mentioned that on the larger lights with 1.47" bezels, such as the L5/L6/U2, they deepened the parabolic reflector for more throw vs the smaller L2/L4 1" bezel lights. I'm aware that the smaller bezels are more flood lights and are not designed for throw, whereas 5W LEDs practically demand a big reflector in order to optimize their potential.

My findings at 1AM that night were that the U2's reach is on par with my P90 and the color rendition is pretty good, even with all the ambient lights interfering with it (as intended). I conducted tests at ground level, below trees about 20ft tall, and up the sides of a 4 storey building, looking for a deficiency in the LED or a situation where the P90 would prove to be advantageous. For some reason, I didn't find one. Anybody has an idea of what I'm doing/not doing right?

PS: Basically, I'm interested in setting up a fair test scenario where I can personally see the incan advantage. (of course I'm not going to compare my Mag85 with a Photon /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif) as has been said above, nothing beats being able to see it for yourself.

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not up to speed on full size lights anymore. I stick a Streamlight Strion and a High Dome KL1 on a E1e in my pockets. I have a Aleph III with a three cell body and a Polystiger available.

My Aleph III performs very well in orange street light conditions but it is an unusually configured light. Large head - skinny body.

I usually just use the Strion and the KL1/E1e.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast

OK, guys. We need a correction regarding the 10X dominator: the SF 10X dominator will run the 60 lumen lamp for three hours! Not one hour as was mentioned above.

There is a 110 lumen "low" output lamp that can be used in place of the 60 lumen lamp, and the 10X will drive this for 90 minutes.

The idea of the 10X is that, yes, most of the time you don't need the super-bright 500 lumens and can get by with 60 or 110 lumens, and when you do need the high output, you can use it in short controlled bursts. So 20 minutes of runtime goes farther than it otherwise would. Same with the A2. I find that even though it only runs the incan for 45 minutes, I still change the batteries less frequently than I did when I EDCed the E2e.

Steve C

Enlightened

<< I still change the batteries less frequently than I did when I EDC'ed the E2e.>>

Exactly so. The E2e is a great little light that I carried for years; but I've been using flashlights professionally for a very long time, and the A2 is hands-down the most useful and flexible flashlight I've owned.