Best LIght for Newbie

Bill.H

Enlightened
For anyone that starts with a Sebenza /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You are now required to get an Arc4+ and an ElektroLumens 3x3 Tri-Star. The latest technology and a massive photon pump.

Since nobody's mentioned it to you yet... the rule here is Buy Both!!

darkgear.com

Enlightened
Cut to the front of the line and get a VIP and then get an Aurora(gotta steal it from Ginseng) and a PK1(gotta go to England to steal this) and then kidnap McGizmo and lock him up in a closet with lots of Aluminum blanks and a lathe and..... J/K

I really high class light is the SuperLight 2. If you can get one of those you won't be sorry.

Best regards,
Randy

NIGHTGUY

Newly Enlightened
Choices, choices. Here is my 2 cents worth. I started out with several lights from Lambda. The Minilite (poor man's alternative to the Arc LS/4+) and the Micro Illuminator and the Illuminator HD were all my EDC. In addition, I also carry an Infinity Ultra as my keychain EDC. I rotate the Space Needle II and the Megalite HD between the trunk of my car and my bedside nightstand.

As a collector, I prefer modded lights such as the Firefly and the Mclux and lights with modded parts. The value of these will appreciate with time. As good as the Arcs and the Surefires, you seldom see them go up in value (with the exception of maybe the 4X) because they are still in production. Problem with modded lights is that patience and diligence is required in acquiring these lights. CPF is the place to search for these lights. Welcome and good luck.

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
I started with an inova x5; now I know it's far from the best stuff arround but, it really impressed me at first and had the advantage of making my other flashlight acquisitions feel even better...
Welcome to the madness.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire L4 or E2e, depending on your needs/preference.

For non tactical everyday use, these are the benchmarks with respect to small size, quality, functionality and panache. There are others that equal them in SOME respects, but not ALL in one package.

Buy these first because if you stick around here long enough you will probibly buy them anyway.

For the wow factor, it's so tiny and so bright... go with the Firefly you mentioned if you can get one. Dat2Zip showed us one at the Bay Area get together that had a new battery tube that allowed a two brightness selection option.

The Firefly wont have to functionality of the Arc4 but it's cheaper and smaller. If the extra size and money don't bother you, get the Arc4, it's compensates with a heck of alot of features.

GregR

NikolaTesla

Flashlight Enthusiast
Legend LX best bang for the buck
Very bright - small -- Low$$$
Walmart anywhere has them
Only takes 2 batteries
Rugged-beat proof (Almost)
Water proof almost if you silicone grease it.

NikolaTesla

CUTiger3

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
sbdave said:
For better or worse, I usually try and jump head first into these things (my first EDC knife was a Sebenza wood inlay), so I am looking for an aweinspiring light that will last a long time, impress me and my friends, and work well whenever needed... much like my Sebenza, which I can't live without.

[/ QUOTE ]

This story sounds familiar /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
A small line drive graphic Sebenza has been part of my EDC since 1999, so I know exactly what you mean. I started out with an ARC AAA for my keychain. Of course, it was not long before I purchased a LSH-S, and LSL-S. Both of these are currently part of my EDC. The LSH rides in my left pocket beside my Umfaan, and the LSL on my hip in the OEM ARC pouch. Both of these are great lights, but I need a little more, so I placed an order for the VIP /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
If you can get the ARC LS at the $80 price point, I could not recommend a better deal