Best Lights For A Firefighter

Kraeken

Newly Enlightened
If they do explode, the helmet will protect the wearer!

How much fun would that be, exploding batteries at a fire? I think batteries may be one of the few things that have not purposely been made to ignite or explode in a firehouse. We were recently filling rubber gloves with WD40...

Seriously though, I never thought about the volatility of batteries. How do alkalines fare under high heat?

Bogie

Enlightened
I have never had it get caught on anything bad (guess I'm lucky) but I use my chin strap all the time so a turn of the head will usually work for those times it has. Most of the lights I have seen pics of where the batts have gone off have pushed the bulb assembly out the lens as a whole or the tail cap off the body rather then blowing out the sides of the body (path of least resistance and all).

We will try to burn anything wont we I remember making Acetylene filled balloons and lighting the strings on fire (propane works too) :devil: Don't try that at home

My family's two firefighters both swear by the Streamlight ProPolymer models. The young buck has the 4AA Luxeon model (tight beam, pendtrates smoke very well, about $35); the old man has the 3C Luxeon model (similar performance, longer runtime, also about $35).

Both men use a Blackhack helmet clip to attach the light, and both report rock-solid attachment of the light even during intense activity.

As to performance, I can only report htat the Luxeon model saved the young fireman's life when his standard-issue light failed during a thick-smoke blaze (for which his mother remains ever-thankful).

As a gift for your dad, you'll be on solid ground with either choice,, and you won't need a part-time job to pay for it.

Happy holidays...

neal71

Newly Enlightened
Seems like the blackjack is a really big hit with firefighters, but in the demo I watched when he put the shield down it seemed like the light would be shining right into it. Has anyone had this problem?

guardpost3

Enlightened
i haven't had a problem with it at all, but then again, I don't use my shield all that much any way when i have my mask on. the only time im really using it is when i am extricating or overhauling, and in both cases there is normally fixed lighting in place.

Last edited:

neal71

Newly Enlightened
That is kind of what I figured, I only ask because my dad has not used a shield in a long time, but he stated on thanksgiving that he was going to be putting it back on.

TomInOregon

Newly Enlightened
Seems like the blackjack is a really big hit with firefighters, but in the demo I watched when he put the shield down it seemed like the light would be shining right into it. Has anyone had this problem?

That's one of the problems I had with the Blackjack mount. I included more detail in this thread. Since then, I have been in contact with the designer of the Blackjack mount who seems determined to make the mount work for me, which speaks well for their customer service. I will probably mess with it again this weekend to see if I can get it to work, but in my opinion, it's just not worth the effort. The designer of the Blackjack mount insists that there is no glare inside the visor and that if I have glare, it's because the light is too far forward. Even using a Surefire 6P, I just can't get the light any further rearward due to the downward turn of the brim at the rear. In the pictures he sent me of his helmet (same helmet model and using a Surefire G2), it looks like his light is at the same location, so I don't know why his works and mine doesn't with nearly identical setups. All I know is that I have spent probably 3 hours messing with it and still haven't gotten it to work where I'm happy (and that's just mounting it, that still doesn't address the glare issue), where the Helm-A-Clip was on and working in 10 minutes without any swear words at all.

I am currently using the Helm-A-Clip mount, which just works with no drama. It holds the light off to the side of the brim, but hasn't snagged on anything. It's also adjustable in the field using only your fingers, where the Blackjack uses Allen set screws.

I will try to get pictures posted in my other thread this weekend after I mess with the Blackjack mount some more. At this point, I have given up on it, but he is determined to make it work, so I'm going along mostly to help find a solution for any other customers who may be having the same problems.

Tom

neal71

Newly Enlightened
I honestly do not see how there could not be a glare, shining any kind of light at a curved surface has to reflect something, especially dirty and scratched shields.

TomInOregon

Newly Enlightened
Here's my helmet with the shield down and the Surefire 6P on. The Surefire is mounted below the brim of the helmet. This is with lots of ambient light.

Here's my helmet with the shield down and the same light mounted the same way. This one is with very little ambient light.

Other problems I had were: With the downward angle the brim takes, I couldn't mount the light straight. I had to either angle the tail of the light left or right to make it fit, obviously causing the beam to aim left or right. Here's a picture of it mounted below the brim.

Here's a picture of the Mount I ended up using and showing how far it sticks out to the side. It definitely has more potential for getting hung up on something than the Blackjack mount, but it was simple to get installed and adjusted and it works well.

Here's a beamshot of the Surefire 6P. Here's the Fenix on turbo. Here's the Surefire 6P beam on the left and the Fenix TK20 on low on the right.

Last, here's a picture of the Surefire next to the Blackjack mount and the Fenix TK20 next to the Helm-A-Clip mount to give you an idea of size. The Surefire/Blackjack combo is quite a bit smaller.

Hope this helps,
Tom

neal71

Newly Enlightened
Awesome pictures, thank you. I really like other mount, but I was thinking about making one that would be held on by the screw that holds the sheild on.

neal71

Newly Enlightened
Well, my dad is on vaccation in New Mexico, so he still has not used it. He really liked the light and seemed really excited about the light though. I will let you guys know how he likes it when he uses it for the first time.

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys.

Earlier today I was in a smoke filled building (3 floors) doing FF training exercises. They supplied us w/ red streamlight right angle lights (?name) so I left my Ra clicky in the truck. Would the beam of a 200/170 cn be effective? As far as the light itself goes I understand it would not be suited for this situation because of the flush button.

Databyter

Enlightened
Most Helmets in my Dept were Red if I remember correctly, The Capt. had a white one as did the Batt. Chief IIRC.

Regarding the lights a good powerful angle light is what was standard issue in my Dept. I wasn't that into lights back then, I just got the brightest bulbs available, LED's were toys.

I really liked the angle lights versatility in use, when using tools and in tight carmped spaces (like just about all the time standing right in a tight group of your team) a longer light gets in the way. Also it;s nice to hook it to your outer gear in front where it can be momentaried or used while attached and facing more or less in the right direction.

They do have to be made rugged, shockproof, and completely waterproof. It's more important than output since mostly you will be looking at objects within 5 feet of you! High power is great as long as it's ultra reliable power. It's more important in real usage that it's simply bright enough but bullet proof and handy and light (weight).

Regarding helmet lights, they are useful in non smoky environments so you can use both hands and have some illumination but remember in this most smoky environments it's not so much to illuminate far objects as it is to make you somewhat visable to your crew, and for very close utility light, like to see what your hands are doing etc.. Chances are if you need a stronger light someone else in your crew will be holding a handheld for you while you pry door, give medical aid etc..If your alone doing a search it's the handheld you need for cutting through the dark/smoke.

Of course now I guess there are alot better ones than when I was doing it, but back then they were usually designed for use in close quarters not for great throw or great power.

Our capt was generous in letting us experiment with off the shelf products that were not approved by the dept, as long as we made sure to carry our minimum Dept. approved gear as well. Once a light was proven, we could try to get approval for it from higher up, and don't hold your breath.

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, my dad is on vaccation in New Mexico, so he still has not used it. He really liked the light and seemed really excited about the light though. I will let you guys know how he likes it when he uses it for the first time.

Has he ever used it for the first time ?

I'm hoping he liked it for on the job use .

And I hope it keeps him safe and lights his way so he comes home at night .

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, that's nice Gizmos...first you send me to another thread and then in the THIRD post in that thread, you try to send me to a surefire thread...yeah, pick on the stupid ones... :duh2:

Jez kiddin' of course and thanks guys.

I'm more concerned about the light handling in heat than finding a good light with a good beam. That's gonna be easier I think.

Didn't consider the warm tint option though which was good advice/learning experience although I knew fog lights are yellow...duh.

Thanks

:D

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here in E-town the firefighters use Pelican lights with the Recoil LED technology to cut through smoke.They have a flick switch that can be turned on with thick gloves. There's a 90 degree head type too.
The Surefire G2L is also a sturdy option.

guardpost3

Enlightened
On my way home from work today I was toned out for a multi-car accident with entrapment. When I got to the scene I realized that the light I usually have on my helmet (Streamlight Lux4AA) was GONE! Ihad taken it out to change the batteries and had never put it back. All I had was my HDS 170T and it fit right into the stock streamlight helmet mount. Im not sure its the BEST light for a firefighter but it did work darn well, the raised switch worked great with gloved hands. I even heard one of the nearby troopers say "Holy $%^!" when I fired it up. I doubt I would take it into a fire but it sure helped while I was running the jaws of life. Do the best with what you've got.