Best Shake Light/Faraday Light ? ? ?

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
After reading FlashlightReviews ariticle on those types of lights, I just can't trust them. In a real extended power outage/hurricane, I'd rather just be prepared with plenty of extra primaries.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Nightstar brand. They actually work as advertised and you get a usable brightness and runtime, about 10 minutes, from about 30 seconds of shaking. They also have pretty good rebound magnets at each end of the tube so the shaking is not as jarring or tiring as others I have tried. The Diamond brand are also fairly decent and a little cheaper, but they take more shaking to reach full charge and the rebound magnets aren't as good. Although the run time is a little longer than the Nightstar once charged, the extra time and the more jarring shake makes it more tiring to use the Diamond than the Nightstar. Anything besides these two, I don't even consider usable regardless of price.

Be careful on the Diamond brand if you go that route. The place I bought mine from, Flashlights.com / Quality-Items-Online.com, seems to have gone out of business and has not been answering customer inquiries lately even though their website still appears to be up and taking orders.

TORCH_BOY

Flashlight Enthusiast
None, I already have one, you always have to shake it and your arms get tired.
I prefer the crank lights

thermal guy

Flashaholic
+1 for nightstar got one for my 6yr boy . had it for a year it puts out decent light and he has beat the crap out of it stills works great:thumbsup:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Crank lights have a poor coin cell rechargeable battery. If you forget about them for a year in the back of a draw, the coin cell has over discharged and will never hold a charge again. Nightstar is one of the better shake lights if you must have one. However, lithium primaries in a long running LED light is a better option for emergency IMO.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The best crank light IMO is by Freeplay, they use NiMh rechargeable batteries(AA size?). Most of the cheaper ones have loose parts, noisy when cranking and use a small battery. Sherpa X-Ray review, Jonta review. I've seen the Kito on sale at Target, forgot the price.

Shake lights are novelty items IMO but the best is probably the Nightstar brand.

thunderlight

Enlightened
What is really necessary for this application in my opinion is a crankable charger that can charge a single AAA or single AA battery. You don't need a full charge on a rechargeable battery to have a very effective light for a considerable length of time in an emergency. Then, it would be just a matter of having a rechargeable battery and a decent long lasting low power AAA or AA light of your choice.

One question I have is how small can such a crankable charger be made and yet be reasonably effective.