Best waterproof LED for SCUBA?

bspofford

Enlightened
I've been a SCUBA diver for more than 40 years and had a lot of big LED lights that used multiple C-size batteries. My last incan must have weighed two or three pounds. Today I picked up a COAST Lumiled LED Lenser at Big Lots for ten bucks! It runs on 4 X AAA and has a bright yellow plastic body, polycarbonate lens, and stainless steel head. The tint is nice, but the beam has a visible square from the emitter. It advertises 32 lumens and says it has "more than 60 hours of battery life." Are there any brighter/more efficient P4, Q5 or R2 based waterproof lights for SCUBA?

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a dedicated dive light that puts out 300 lumens using 3xAA's and stays dry to 600 ft?

http://www.batteryjunction.com/ae-w30.html

Those claims can't be serious right? 300 Lumens? What's the "Proprietary" Cree being driven at? 2+ Amps? 5-6 hours on 3 AAs.

Simply astonishing.

There are more efficient lights. But you gotta pay to play. What is your price range and what are you looking for.

As stated barbolight is one to look at but again you gotta pay to play.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've heard good things about underwater kinetics lights, they are also much cheaper I believe.

Pyle-IT

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for Barbolight!. I have the U-09 as my primary dive light and it is great. I have not seen a more rugged/solid built light.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can u post a link to an online vendor for barbolight? Thanks

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those claims can't be serious right? 300 Lumens? What's the "Proprietary" Cree being driven at? 2+ Amps? 5-6 hours on 3 AAs.

Simply astonishing.

There are more efficient lights. But you gotta pay to play. What is your price range and what are you looking for.

As stated barbolight is one to look at but again you gotta pay to play.

I have one of these lights and here is link to a short review with beamshots: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/195968

As to the specs... it is putting out 225+ lumens and will put out over 160 for over 2 hours on lithium AA's. So, not as good as the manufactures specs.... but a bright tough aa light to be sure.

I would google "dive light reviews" and see what the scuba magazines are testing.... there are some really cool multi led lights (like the Barbolight) that will put out over 600 lumens with leds....$$$ can get high though.

For the $$$ the AE light is a pretty nice light though imho.

SColly

Newly Enlightened
hartenburger make some handheld and canister lights that are very nice, little pricy tho, they use 6 emitter osrams if im not mistaken

they also offer a 3 x400w halogen head for their canister lights, but i think thats a special order (and not led)

green force offer a 2000 lumen led head for their lights, but you will be paying several thousands dollars

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Latest posts