BiPin Mag: The First Mag-MagCharger Hybrid

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: BiPin Mag: Heat shield material

I can send you a segment for free, but I don't really want to be selling asbestos to people. There is a whole industry in this country built around asbestos lawsuits /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

I will say I'm not certain this is asbestos, but if it isn't I sure don't know what it is.

Hookd_On_Photons

Enlightened

I think it's fiberglass.

The description in this link sounds like what you've discovered: "Although the acrylic resin degrades at operating temperatures above 200°C, FGS continues to provide thermal and space factor insulation as high as 650°C with continuous operation at 450°C."

http://cableorganizer.com/fiberglass/

http://www.davlyn.com/DS_FiberglassRopetape.htm

The surgical mask is a good idea. Even though the sleeve is probably not asbestos, you still probably don't want to inhale any particles.

I bought an old hair dryer at a garage sale (50 cents!), and harvested the mica innards. I haven't gotten around to cutting a heat shield yet, because of a combination of procrastination, a busy schedule, and four febrile, puking children. I'll post an update whenever I get around to it...

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast

Excellent. Very glad to know it is probably fiberglass. I was trying to understand how asbestos would be available to anyone anymore.

Phreeq

Newly Enlightened

Wear a mask (NIOSH class 95) when working with this material even if it's fiberglass.
1. Fiberglass particles thinner than 3 micrometers are also able to enter the pulmonary alveoli. If the particles are longer than 20 micrometers the macrophages won't be able to remove the particles.
2. Even if the particles don't enter the alveoli, they'll irritate the upper respiratory passages.

mike2004

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Phreeq said:
Wear a mask (NIOSH class 95) when working with this material even if it's fiberglass.
1. Fiberglass particles thinner than 3 micrometers are also able to enter the pulmonary alveoli. If the particles are longer than 20 micrometers the macrophages won't be able to remove the particles.
2. Even if the particles don't enter the alveoli, they'll irritate the upper respiratory passages.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is a stupid flashlight worth the risk of messing with this stuff?

mckevin

Enlightened

PlayboyJoeShmoe,
PM me an address & I'll mail you a bit.

mike2004,
ummm, "stupid flashlight"?!?!?

mike2004

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
mckevin said:

mike2004,
ummm, "stupid flashlight"?!?!?

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/oops.gif

wasBlinded

Flashlight Enthusiast

I did an extended run on my Mag85BP (regular Mag with a MC Bipin slug installed), and despite the fiberglass heat shield material, there is still some melt-off of the BP slug, though much reduced.

Amazing, however, is that not only the slug is getting cooked, but on my light even the top edge of the plastic sleeve that holds the slug is sustaining damage, and smoke clouding the reflector./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

It looks to me like the only way to get extended run times without damage in a a Mag85 is to replace the entire slug assembly with something like Kiu's superbulb holder. Thank goodness I have one on the way.

Kevlarman

Newly Enlightened

Hmm, I've got asome Kevlar cloth lying around; maybe I can use it as a heat shield in one of these high temperature lamps I got at a garage sale. It's 650W and when I leave it on for more than a few minutes at a time the plastic housing starts to smoke! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

captjlw

Newly Enlightened

FWIW, I followed the lead in another thread somewhere in the CPF and got an old hair dryer, took it apart, and got a piece of mica insulation out. After triming and shaping, placing it between the bulb and the bi-pin plug stopped the smoking. There is still a little heat damage showing where the pins plug in but no burning and smoking. The mica shapes easily with a razor. I left a loose fit between the bulb and the mica to avoid direct contact heat transfer. I'm using a w/a1185 in a 4D mag with a 9aa to D and one D. Being overdriven that much, I had smoke within 2 mins w/o the mica. With the mica I'm still OK even after 10 mins or so of constant on.