• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Blocky Boy

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update on Blocky Boy

Been doing a lot of work to prepare the lights for the plater. I have found a quicker method, well, actually just an improvement on previous techniques, that allows me to take the bodies directly from the vibratory tumbler to the buffing/polishing machine. That eliminates the hand sanding that I was doing.

Here are some of the polished bodies:

CloseUpLineUp.jpg

Close-up

And the complete line-up:
CompleteLineUp.jpg

As you can see, there are a lot more to be done. :mecry:

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice, I hope you have a soft wheel on a buffer with red rouge polish on it, anything less would be polishing suicide.

Actually, while red rouge does a nice job, it is messy as hell. I prefer chromium oxide better, and, yes, I do have some soft wheels, but I prefer to use a felt wheel for the final polish--it doesn't seem to leave any thread marks at all.

Of course, I also like the softened edges, so I do over polish a tad.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chromium oxide is a good choice, I feel that I get better results with a soft wheel, but that may be because I am using a dremel. For HA it's a good idea to have soft edges, I find that hard edges feel like a razor when coated. Keep up the good work.

marcspar

Enlightened
Hi Fred!

Please make mine:

EN Plated complete light
Driver: GD750
Reflector: Stippled
Polished: No

Thank you,

Marc

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blocky Boy Update

I have decided that all Blocky Boys will be polished before plating. It was just too much of a hassle to segregate the polished ones from the unpolished; and the confusion would have only gotten worse when I got to the plater. :crazy:

So, except for those who are taking just the plain body only, all Blocky Boy prices have been adjusted. Most of you had opted for the $15 polishing, but since I've streamlined the process (letting the tumbler do a lot of the grunt work), it takes less time to complete the polishing that I had thought. Consequently, I've only bumped the price up by $10 to cover the polishing.

Yeah, I realize that there are a couple who didn't want their lights polished and I apologize for not having that option any more. If the extra $10 is too much, please let me know that you are dropping out.

And, now, the obligatory photo update:

RowPolishedBBs.jpg

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Photon, I dont know if this has been answered before, what material is the module going to be made of ?? And is the ring going to be seen between the bodies , a la Knurley?? I love that look..

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Photon, I dont know if this has been answered before, what material is the module going to be made of ?? And is the ring going to be seen between the bodies , a la Knurley?? I love that look..

Cuso,

The converter module is made of 6061AL and is not visible when the light is assembled. In fact, the polished bodies at the bottom of the first post in this thread are pretty much as the lights will look when completed--although the internals and the split ring are still to be added.

nitnapz

Enlightened
i was looking through some leds and saw that the basics for the BB would be a p4 emitter. i saw that luxV cost alot, is that for a reason (advantages/disadvantages), are they brighter and can they be incorporated into the BB electricals/physicals

zman

PhotonFanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
i was looking through some leds and saw that the basics for the BB would be a p4 emitter. i saw that luxV cost alot, is that for a reason (advantages/disadvantages), are they brighter and can they be incorporated into the BB electricals/physicals

zman

Man, you guys are unrelenting. :crackup::D

Of course, the drivers will work with just about any LED, so a Lux V could be an option, but, but :poke:I ain't offering that option. :devil:

Seriously, if you've got to have the Lux V in the Blocky Boy, you can buy an extra converter and build your own module. How's that for an option? I had 50 extra converters built for those who want to do something like that, or upgrade later when something better comes along. I haven't decided on the price for the converter module alone yet, since I'm going to talk with the plater about having them anodized, with the threads masked off, of course. That would allow us to not have to use thermal epoxy on the P4.

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man, you guys are unrelenting. :crackup::D

Seriously, if you've got to have the Lux V in the Blocky Boy, you can buy an extra converter and build your own module.

Unrelenting??? :shakehead JUST HURRY UP ALREADY!!!!! :poke: HEHE! :duck:

Extra module?!?! :eek:oo: I DO, I DO, PLEASE! :rock:

Thank you Fred! :)