BMW tail lamp bulbs

BMWE90FAN

Newly Enlightened
I guess this question would be for Virgil as he seems to be the expert here. I have a 2006 330i E90 bmw that i changed out the factory tail lights to OEM BMW blacklines. I bought them new from BMW and the turn signal bulbs were included; they are coated silver bulbs that emit amber light. My question is what kinda bulb do i need in there to replace them? I was looking for something that would emit a brighter light and seen that you mentioned in your post that OSRAM or Phillips emit a better light then other knock offs. I was told my OEM housing that was in there used 7506 bulbs but the blacklines i switched to require a 7507/PY21W bulb. Is this so? I got lost in the post when you mentioned about filing down index pins. I just was wondering if I purchased a Phillips PY21W bulb would it just plug rite in without any issue? I was also contemplating using the LED version they sell for the PY21W. Any feedback on LEDs? I guess my last question would be do you have any recommendations for brighter tail lights and brake lights as well? I searched the net for hours and could not find anything. I have heard LED replacement bulbs do not work good in the red tailight and brake housing. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. thx jason

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: BMW (motorcycle) tail lamp bulbs

I have a 2006 330i E90 bmw that i changed out the factory tail lights to OEM BMW blacklines.

That's a smart upgrade -- it gets you amber turn signals instead of red. Amber turn signals do a better job of reducing the chance you'll be struck from behind.

I bought them new from BMW and the turn signal bulbs were included; they are coated silver bulbs that emit amber light.

Yes, those are Philips Silver Vision bulbs (these).

My question is what kinda bulb do i need in there to replace them? I was looking for something that would emit a brighter light

You won't get much brighter light. You can put in the Osram Diadem version which will be maybe a little brighter (and not quite as stealthy).

was told my OEM housing that was in there used 7506 bulbs but the blacklines i switched to require a 7507/PY21W bulb. Is this so?

Yes. 7506 and 7507 are Osram's numbers. Your original housings used P21W (single filament, clear glass); the new housings use PY21W (single filament, amber glass).

I got lost in the post when you mentioned about filing down index pins.

That doesn't apply to anything you're doing.

I just was wondering if I purchased a Phillips PY21W bulb would it just plug rite in without any issue?

Yes, but that's what you've already got.

I was also contemplating using the LED version they sell for the PY21W

You have to be really careful with "LED bulbs". Almost all of them on the market are unsafe junk, see this for a pretty good overview. There is one, and only one legitimate one for this application, that's this Philips bulb, which is hard to find (the linked source is dependable). It's expensive, but it comes with load compensators you'd need to keep the turn signal flash rate correct. It will be at least as bright as the originals. It might be brighter. You will get to keep the "stealthy" appearance.

I guess my last question would be do you have any recommendations for brighter tail lights and brake lights as well?

Those take a P21W bulb, and the vehicle modulates power to the bulb to provide the dim (tail) function, or full power to provide the bright (brake) function. For that reason, LEDs will probably not work. But if you were going to try LEDs, the ones you'd want to try would be these. The odds of the modulated-power tail function working correctly are slim, though, so be prepared to have to take them right back out. If you want a brighter fully-compatible filament bulb, the one to get is this Honda bulb.

Thank you so so much for the help. The time you took to answer all my questions was appreciated and helped me understand now.