Bonehead Flashlight Stories

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
a cpl years ago I knocked a favorite light off the batthroom sink ledge into the "just Used" and not flushed yet toilet. (yes it was #2).:sick2: I never felt the same about that light again.:shakehead and I dont take lights into the bathroom anymore

Please don't put that light on the B/S/T... :crackup:

GregWormald

Enlightened
Tonight. There are two of us running a late session in the office, and as we leave it is dark. We turn off the lights and can't see to make the exit through the maze of desks and chairs.
So I say "hang on a moment" and rummage for a minute or so through my bag for my Arc AAA with luxeon---totally forgetting that I had a Fenix on a lanyard and resting in my shirt pocket!
Greg

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
great storys guys!

I dont really have a good story to tell, but I´ll tell it anyway.. :)

It was in highschool? ( I was 15-16 years old) My MagLite D4 was rather new to me, and the class was on a camping trip. Late in the evening or perhaps it was in the middle of the nigh... anyway.. Some of the girls was about to take a skinny dip (swim nude) with some boys they allowed to join them. I was excluded from the choosen ones... :( so instead of letting the lucky ones go have their fun, I decided to take my extremely bright :grin2: maglite and shine on them, just to disturb them. The ladies got VERY aggrevated at me and scream alot telling me to take a hike... :eek:

I did and after that I wasnt the most popular guy in the class...One of the lucky dudes was one of my best friends, even he was very upset with me...

Moral of my story... use your light wisely! :D

Burgess

Flashaholic
Moral of the story...

-- Carry a camera with telephoto lens and powerful FLASH,

rather than that rather-useless Mag-Lite. :naughty:

At least you woulda' been really popular with some of the students !

:D

Patriot

Flashaholic
I had been running one of my Costco HIDs for a while and noticed that the inside of the glass window was fogged. I disassembled it for cleaning and also noticed dust on the reflector. I blew it off with canned air and lightly wiped it with a micro-fiber cloth. Turns out the bulb was still very hot and cooked the cloth onto the bulb and coated one side of it black...sigh. I had to remove the bulb and scrape the black off with a razor blade. I didn't feel very smart.

Pax et Lux

Enlightened
I tend to do something stupid when I'm opening a new light for the first time.

Sometime back I got a Gerber IU. Slitting open the clamshell packing I took a hefty nick out of the lousy type II anodize in a rather obvious place (in fairness, the light is so worn now you cannot see this any more).

Putting the batteries in my brand new SL Propolly 4AA, sitting on the kitchen floor. . . put the batteries in, put the LED inside the head, screw it down, holding the light vertical. I hadn't thought that the switch could be in the 'on' position, and got a blast of light in the eyes when the head was screwed down enough to make contact.

Then only a month or so ago, when opening my new SF E2L from the clamshell package. Being aware of the Gerber IU damage, I sliced around the edge of the casing, expecting it would fall open. It didn't. I gave it a good pull and it came apart with a loud bang, sending the light flying through the air and landing heavily on the kitchen floor. Luckily, not a scratch. Ah, that's why you get quality lights!

Not exactly public humiliation, but I'm always entertained by my own stupidity anyway.

Burgess

Flashaholic
to SilverFox --

I actually laughed OUT LOUD when i read that !

:crackup: ___ :lolsign:

_

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Me and carrot at a cigar shop. He's showing off his Mc Lux III PD. They were like, wow..$300 flashlight..

right after he mentions how tough it is, he promptly drops it down a flight of metal stairs onto the brick floor below..

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Me and carrot at a cigar shop. He's showing off his Mc Lux III PD. They were like, wow..$300 flashlight..

right after he mentions how tough it is, he promptly drops it down a flight of metal stairs onto the brick floor below..

Ah! But did it keep working?

Also, which cigar shop? I know of two that are near Wall street.

Illum

Flashaholic

you met carrot? :drool:

not educating friends about the power of flashlights..
I was visiting a friend and mistakenly left my auroralite minimag on the table along with my Surefire A2....:ohgeez:

Apparently his little brother had something in his eye so he "borrowed" my minimag cause he thought the "surefire" was too bright. [and yes, he has my G2 to play with so theres no doubt he knows how bright it is:twothumbs] Before I can warn him his brothers partially blind and walked around dazed for awhile, the only thing I can think of that might have saved his vision was the fact that minimags focus from flood to spot, not the other way around:eek:oo:

yeah...flahaholics, keep your powerful ones close to you, as for sleeper lights...wear a tag on them if you have nonflashaholics around :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
OK Cigars in SoHo. And the PD-S worked fine afterwards, only a new dent in the barrel and a few nicks on the tail.

Well, the dent and nicks just make the light more your own. No one will ever accuse you of keeping it as a Shelf Queen.

I used to work the night shift almost 3 years ago at a residential building in Soho. I used to get out at the West 4th St. station and walk a few blocks to work..... All I'll say is, it was never a boring stroll.

LOL.

Calamityville_Horror

Newly Enlightened
In high school, I worked for a hot tar roofing company one summer. As the young guy getting paid under the table, I was low on the labor totem pole and most of my time was spent carrying bags of gravel and buckets of hot tar up ladders.

Sometimes the jobs would stretch into the evening so I though I would be smart and carry my Minimag with me for cleaning up after dusk. Well, one day climbing up the ladder the light fell out of my pocket and somehow ricocheted off a rung below me to fly 25 ft sideways and :poof: straight into the tar kettle. (Big tub where they melt the tar)

Goodbye Minimag. If it happened today with a $300 Surefire and not a Minimag, hell, I might have dove off the ladder in after it. :stupid: