borealis

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I just use the BLEEDING LAMP for 50seconds to handle the over charge.

after that its all good.

I'm so over the days of waiting 3-4 hours:laughing:

king2penn

Enlightened
Hi,

I just use the BLEEDING LAMP for 50seconds to handle the over charge.

after that its all good.

I'm so over the days of waiting 3-4 hours:laughing:

oops sorry i mean the bleeding lamp not bulb lol :p
i tried my bleeding lamp at 45-50 sec ; still worked but dangerous
I already lost a bulb from switching it on too soon, luckyly enough still left 3 ( i ordered 3 extras + 1 extra in tailcap)

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have only blown 1, I've got like like 3 shuved in the tailcap:laughing:

Once I ran the bulb no probs straight off the charger. Must of been near 12.2v. White as hell.

BTW, how is changing the bulb for you? Have a hard time getting the bulb centre in the reflector?

Last edited:

juancho

Enlightened
hmm, I'm starting to question the "50min" runtime of the Borealis.

Ive never gotten that close when ever I charge my battery pack up full. I haven't run the light straight till the batteries are drained, but I run it in small 5min bursts & I reckon I'm getting around 20-30mins total.

Any other Borealis owners want to comment on their runtime with these NiMH powerex 2700 battery's?

Hi Flashanator,

If the batteries are good, the run time is 50 minutes (measured in 10 minutes intervals, 10 minutes on 10 minutes cool off period).
After quite a few charges-discharges more capacity is gain, getting into the 60 minutes bracket.

Check your batteries individually, maybe one of them in not given full capacity, they should measure about 1.38 to 1.4 volts when fresh out of the charger.

ON CHANGING THE BULB
To get maximum life and good contact.
Remove the head with reflector and lens (will give you more room)
Pull out old bulb and insert again several times, (this will clean the internal contacts out of any oxidation)

Spread slightly the legs of the new bulb; clean it good with a drop of alcohol and tissue, cleaning the legs well to remove the factory preservative in the metal of the legs.

Push new bulb with a slight rocking motion into the ceramic socket.

Make sure you use clean gloves or a tissue to push the bulb home; it is a good idea to clean the bulb again with alcohol after it is installed.
Any oil from fingerprints will cook on the surface of the bulb, creating a weak spot and a possibility of an explosion.

To center it in the reflector, use a clean pen knife blade or an insulated fingertip.

By the way, great pictures, guys.
My very best regards
Juan C.

juancho

Enlightened
hehe the shiny black aluminium hull of borealis Versus the dull black paint of Vector POB :crackup:

btw flashanator, is that a tripod ur using to hold ur borealis? Im having trouble keeping my pics sharp cuz i only got 1 tripod (for my camera)

king2penn,

I use a cheap $20 tripod for the lights; to make an adaptor that will hold any round flashlights I used a piece of wood with a slot in one end to hold an automotive hose clamp.
In the underneath of the wood I inlaid and secured with epoxy a nut that accept the screw from the tripod' shoe.

951tripod.jpg

Cheers
Juan C.

king2penn

Enlightened
Changing the bulb was no problem for me; i just used a piece of tissue paper to hold the bulb and push it down into the socket. As for centering, i guess im pretty accurate :crackup:

Flashanator

Flashlight Enthusiast
where can i get the bulb for this light?

like bulb online stores.

Also,

how long do you Borealis &/or mag85 owners run the overcharge drainer for with nimh setup?

thanks.