Bourbon

Lumen83

Enlightened
Whistle Pig is amazing. Give that a shot. You won't be disappointed.

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Success...just picked the very last bottle of Blanton's "Straigt From The Barrel" off the local dealer´s shelf, at old retail price...:twothumbs

Does anyone know whether BT discontinued the Gold and/or SFTB series?

Availability of these two sorts decreases and prices begin to go through the roof, at least in this part of the world.

Cheers

RBR
Nope, these are international variants, blantons is generally regarded as a rare item. At times, it takes me months to find one. I wish I can get my hands on sftb, I'll have to drive up to Canada for that one.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Lumen83

Enlightened
Finally got my hands on some Weller 12 year this last weekend. By far the best whiskey I have ever tried. Anyone else had this?

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally got my hands on some Weller 12 year this last weekend. By far the best whiskey I have ever tried. Anyone else had this?
I have been looking for it, close as I've gotten was 107. Was it on a shelf? What state?

Lumen83

Enlightened
I have been looking for it, close as I've gotten was 107. Was it on a shelf? What state?

I couldn't get a bottle for myself. It was at a whiskey bar in Tucson Arizona. 14 dollars for a 2 ounce pour. Not gonna say how many I had, haha. But it was well worth the money. I'd pay 107 for it. I can't find it for under 350 right now. I'm reasearching alternatives / other wheated whiskeys. I'm hearing Makers Mark Cask strenght and 46 are similar. I had the 46 the other day. Very good. Very tasty, and instantly one of my favorites that I can actually get my hands on. But the smoothness of the Weller 12 was like nothing I've ever experienced. No bite. Just seemed like flavors that grew on the palate for a very long time and slowly faded away.

PartyPete

Enlightened
Can't go wrong with Makers Mark. Good stuff, good company. Thanks for the years of random gifts.

Of course Woodford is excellent but pricey. Evan Williams is the best budget one for sure.

jkid1911

Enlightened
Evan Williams and Buffalo Trace are both great affordable Bourbans. I usually drink Angel's Envy and Blantons when the opportunity presents itself. However, I always recommend Maker's Mark to new whisky drinkers.... :)

StuGatz

Enlightened
That's a damn impressive bar, Trailhunter! :thumbsup:

Being it's Summer here in The Great State of Washington, I've been experimenting with a few Tiki cocktails.

First up was a Jet Pilot.
[FONT=&]1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
[/FONT][FONT=&]1/2 ounce fresh grapefruit juice [/FONT]
[FONT=&]1/2 ounce SC Cinnamon Syrup [/FONT]
[FONT=&]1/2 ounce Velvet Falernum [/FONT]
[FONT=&]1 ounce black blended rum [/FONT]
[FONT=&]3/4ounce blended aged rum [/FONT]
[FONT=&]3/4 ounce black blended overproof rum [/FONT]
[FONT=&]1 dash Herbstura [/FONT]
[FONT=&]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&]Add all ingredients to a drink mixer tin. Fill with 12 ounces of crushed ice and 4 to 6 small "agitator" cubes.
Flash blend and open pour.

It's amazingly complex and refreshing. Your tongue doesn't which flavor it likes more. [/FONT]:p[FONT=&]

mWMJwdm.jpg
[/FONT]

Should I show myself the door or would you guys rather throw me out on my @SS? :aaa:

Chaun, if I may, THAT appears to be terribly tantalizing! :thumbsup:

nbp

Flashaholic
Mostly I am a beer snob but I've been sipping some bourbons lately as well. Maker's Mark is good, and I like Wild Turkey 101. I just bought a bottle of Russell's Reserve 10 year from Wild Turkey. Seems quite good. A lot of the flavors of WT 101 but not as much bite as it's a little lower proof.

Chaun, if I may, THAT appears to be terribly tantalizing! :thumbsup:

Hi Stu, Yes you may. Perhaps a little too tantalizing, if you know what I mean. :p Summer has given way to Fall (but it's not cold yet) so I created something I call Cowboy Lemonaid.

2 ounces of ice-cold Blue Sky vodka
1 ounce of Wild Turkey 101
Some Lemonaid
Some ice
Shake like crazy in a SS mixer
Pour n enjoy.

Cheers, Gentelmen!

Mostly I am a beer snob but I've been sipping some bourbons lately as well. Maker's Mark is good, and I like Wild Turkey 101. I just bought a bottle of Russell's Reserve 10 year from Wild Turkey. Seems quite good. A lot of the flavors of WT 101 but not as much bite as it's a little lower proof.

I always enjoy a cold brew. However, every once in awhile the end of the day calls for a toot. Our senior pastor is a Maker's mark man. Yes, it's yummy. Wild Turkey 101 is the only Bourbon currently being served at home. ..... not for any particular reason, as I'm not a connoisseur of fine spirits.

bignc

Enlightened
Mm 46 is good. I don't hate bulleit small batch. Often, lol. I am more often drinking Glenmorangie Whisky. And recently toured the Richland Rum Distillery in Georgia. Currently my favorite rum by far! Maybe my favorite sipping liquor. Roger there knows his stuff!

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Bourbon is one of those things I want to enjoy but haven't quite.

Local distillery puts out a signature product (Witherspoon) that I found a tad harsh. They've also released a blended whiskey (Bendt No.5) that's similarly a bit rough, albeit at a fraction of the cost.

Will have to remember to look for some of the suggestions in this thread next time I'm at the liquor store.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Starting to rethink my opinion on Bendt No. 5, but that could be the fact that the weather has turned chilly and I've been taking a shot or two neat in the evening after walking the dogs. That warmth trickling down the gullet is pleasant and I feel I was mistaken in declaring it rough - it's >80 proof so there's going to be some alcohol taste and that back of the throat burn, for sure, but I've suffered bottom shelf rotgut and this isn't on that scale at all.

Someone else in the general DFW region where the distribution is likely to be concentrated might give me their more informed opinion.