Bourbon

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Virginia is seeing OF 1910 drops. Get them while they last.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Lumen83

Enlightened
I have been looking for it, close as I've gotten was 107. Was it on a shelf? What state?

Went back out to Tucson and bought a bottle of Weller 12 from a whiskey bar. Paid 55 bucks for it. They didn't have any more. They've got a good lead on whiskey though. They've got 3 bottles of Pappy and 3 more arriving this week. Those are not for sale.

Keitho

Enlightened
Gotta mention a reason I'm proud of my state...Stranahan's is almost always open in my house, and their Sherry Cask when I'm feeling rich. They're marketed as "whiskey," though they also meet the criteria for bourbon (60% corn in the mash, new charred oak, 94 proof).

Being a bourbon lover, I was shocked on a recent trip to Guatemala to taste Zacapa 23 rum--it hits a lot of the same notes as a very complex, sweet bourbon. It's also aged in oak, obviously by some folks who really know what they're doing at some high elevations (even higher than the Stranahan's distillery). Just like Jack Daniels Honey Whiskey, except that Zacapa actually tastes good. I wish my luggage had more room, I only brought back 2 bottles!

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find Evan Williams very affordable and I like it.
SRtYopKC6NW175_LzK5mJuNV352cQmmj3YNrUtVlXDwMCKv2yVCMJZxrC6s-2QtSEYYKrMREWi7TuzDDBnh2HGhDJcGYgBaTaj6BHaySN3_crUt_Im-65M0ASn4JIFGMsk5aveKBsL6lU_iJJzimvNTY_oRurN49pNjRqE8MXQr1mwRPIIzsD0xwqRfFqmWZ_PxkSPzw53n92JzNAC4-v30B1OCmtqyn9Dyyfk8wm6W64C9j5AvO3hOw1ZPLDHUhGaPHZ6VldcNzG9c_cziCCzDootwHlP9sVb38dMKgFQPE32w9tQuiWkLAAlpyswOA0hHPxnjn4HSbzdyjCbuBKpNzTj32lobIh-KaJ21TxHvdCvWiNfRs9uIzQGEYDb_09TJiEU8sgy59mpJ_EtQufPfjSE1cr0NAub39t5gJAlMzXW2PKkv3HtIgquM0-7ww9JEPe0WNUUwr3Sv8uYDQnbBVS7IkWP6tGBmOurzpSRoIttvvlcUki60MSscYr5Lsja_A8XvxtYJMBw1mRREwlmYRsHUkCwAgWkAUqA-CFVl31qSSwQPZBjUx694fNSPa7z6LKAoFquuuJdWgvsydnVK3mIzUdLOfldi-Hpj53tohlUX6aN65zzDMe4-elgTyLLm3N1QTCSlKS1r4AwjqEy_DAhwQ309d9kzZxRBYozZWLa1-xadTbaIxh9sMy9AgwrACcP8BPpX4YX0I4h3i0m4B8E1J2lwlY7Q7nXt4zEhK08a0lg=w528-h937-no

Lumen83

Enlightened
I find Evan Williams very affordable and I like it.

Last night I found a whiskey bar with half off happy hour for wells. I had a couple 2ounce pours of that stuff for 3 dollars a pop. I have to say I thought it was pretty good. Can't beat that value, anyway.

PartyPete

Enlightened
I might be straying a bit off course here but...I tried some Evan Williams Cider the other day and was pretty impressed.

I was never a big fan of cider flavored stuff but I remember a few years back we were out trick or treating and one of the guys in the neighborhood was passing out candy for kids and hot spiked cider for the adults! It definitely hit the spot and opened me up a bit more to the flavor.

Anyway Evan Williams take on it was excellent. Problem is it's probably only seasonal for Sept/Oct...I can't find any more. Jack Daniels had their cider still out, but it tasted bland and watered down in comparison.

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Comparing juice before it hits the barrel and after. Amazing what happens during the aging process when you compare both of them.
9a4b2cbe3d48f8c909f9c5904e056d59.jpg

Lumen83

Enlightened
I have been looking for it, close as I've gotten was 107. Was it on a shelf? What state?

Place called "Batch" in Tucson AZ. I didn't know they sold bottles and they don't actually advertise that they have pappy, Weller, glen18, etc. for pours. But we were just talking and he said he would sell me Weller12 for 55 bucks. I said I'll take it. And I said not only that but I'll take every bottle you have. He said you already own every one. So I have the feeling the next bunch he gets will be a lot more. Who knows. Either way Tucson is a bourbon lovers dream and I strongly recommend that place.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't drink alcohol, but would like to get a bottle of bourbon for someone who is an experienced bourbon drinker (if not a connoisseur). What is a quality bourbon that would be a good gift?

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I don't drink alcohol, but would like to get a bottle of bourbon for someone who is an experienced bourbon drinker (if not a connoisseur). What is a quality bourbon that would be a good gift?

Generally the higher the price, the more rare the bourbon. With that said, any $50 bottle is going to be good. If you can find Henry McKenna 10 year, that is a great bourbon for $35. Cant go wrong with Makers Mark Single barrel either.

Lumen83

Enlightened

How much are you looking to spend? As was mentioned, it can be difficult to please someone who is already very into bourbon. They've probably developed a taste for what they really like and what they don't really care for. If someone is at that level, I would try to find a rare bottle of some sort. But it is going to cost you a decent amount of cash and could still disappoint. At least with something a little more on the rare side, the person will be familiar with it and appreciate it for what it is. If it's not something they are into, they can use it for trade or perhaps to share with fellow enthusiasts. If none of this makes sense, and seeking out a rare bottle is out of the question or too much work, I'm drinking Maker's Mark Cask strength currently and I think it may be a good pick. It is pretty readily available at decent sized liquor stores that carry a good variety of bourbon, and it is cask strength so the person drinking it can cut it and add as much water as they choose to suit their pallet. That opens up the drink to a wider variety of tastes.

Lumen83

Enlightened
Current Bourbon shelf and other booze goes as following:

Blanton's Gold
Blanton's Straight From The Barrel
Elijah Craig 12yo
Heaven Hill 15yo Port Cask Finish
Wild Turkey Rare Breed

Very nice shelf you have there. Wish I could get my hands on some of the Blanton's. Here's my current "Good Stuff" Shelf:

Weller 12
Weller SR
Elijiah Craig Barrel Proof
E.H. Taylor Small Batch
WoodFord Reserve Double Oak
Stagg Jr.
Maker's Cask Strength

Fish 14

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woodford is my current go to for bourbon
475788d5006aae4ffa167459c5a64856.jpg

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk