Budget EDC 1 x 10440 with side switch

Davis

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a decent EDC that will handle 1 x 10440 battery and has a side switch. So far I have looked at the UltraTac K18 and may go with this unless there is something better for a pocket carry. Tailstand ability would be preferred.

Last edited:

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking for a decent EDC that will handle 1 x 10440 battery and has a side switch. So far I have looked at the UltraTac K18 and may go with this unless there is something better for a pocket carry. Tailstand ability would be preferred.

Honestly, it's such a narrow form factor, that fitting a side switch isn't worth the trouble for many manufacturers, instead opting for a twisty head, or just a tail switch.

You might just give the UT a try, as people apparently like it over on BLF, from my readings.

Chris

archimedes

Flashaholic
Trying to think outside the box ... what about a ZL SC52 ?

I have a different model (which won't take that voltage) but a AAA fits without an adapter, and I think the SC52 will handle the added volts ?

Of course, if absolute minimum size is the goal, you haven't won anything there.

But then, if minimum size is the goal, you would be looking for one with a twist switch instead ....

Davis

Newly Enlightened
I am upgrading from the twisty on/off lights I currently use in favor of one handed operation so it must have a clicky switch on the side. Button switch on the tail is awkward IMO as I still use two hands to operate it. I am sure the more dexterous among us can use a tail switch with one hand, like a retractable pen, but its an awkward maneuver for me that I have not yet mastered.

The UT on amazon looks like it has a keychain attachment on the tail making it unable to tailstand. Maybe that is removable.

Davis

Newly Enlightened
Trying to think outside the box ... what about a ZL SC52 ?

I have a different model (which won't take that voltage) but a AAA fits without an adapter, and I think the SC52 will handle the added volts ?

Of course, if absolute minimum size is the goal, you haven't won anything there.

But then, if minimum size is the goal, you would be looking for one with a twist switch instead ....

The ZL SC52 is a reasonable size that would fit comfortably in a pocket. I could see using this but it's currently unavailable on amazon.

archimedes

Flashaholic
The ZL SC52 is a reasonable size that would fit comfortably in a pocket. I could see using this but it's currently unavailable on amazon.
Looks like they are in stock (and on sale) from ZebraLight direct, at the time of this post ?

I have heard that the ZL website may not always be updated and current, however, so you may wish to contact them if there is a question on that.

Davis

Newly Enlightened
I saw the Zebralight on their website but for my budget the Klarus Mi7 Mini-Might looks like it would do the trick. They are both good flashlights with nice features.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I am upgrading from the twisty on/off lights I currently use in favor of one handed operation so it must have a clicky switch on the side. Button switch on the tail is awkward IMO as I still use two hands to operate it. I am sure the more dexterous among us can use a tail switch with one hand, like a retractable pen, but its an awkward maneuver for me that I have not yet mastered.

The UT on amazon looks like it has a keychain attachment on the tail making it unable to tailstand. Maybe that is removable.
There is a 2019 version that is advertised to be able to tailstand on Amazon. Only the stainless steel version seems to have this feature.

Davis

Newly Enlightened
I checked out the Wuben E05 and am very impressed. It's just a little bit longer and wider than an 18650 battery which makes it a convenient pocket carry. The kit even comes with a USB rechargeable 14500 battery which is a very nice feature and the low battery display in the logo are easy to see and will come in handy. As this looks like it's what I'm looking for went ahead and placed the order. I appreciate all the input.

Davis

Newly Enlightened
Been carrying a dead 18650 battery to get an approximate feel for the pocket fitment and ergo dynamics involved carrying two flashlights. Even though I was only going to get just 1 flashlight after looking at some of the other lights mentioned I have this sneaky feeling I may have to get another one.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Been carrying a dead 18650 battery to get an approximate feel for the pocket fitment and ergo dynamics involved carrying two flashlights. Even though I was only going to get just 1 flashlight after looking at some of the other lights mentioned I have this sneaky feeling I may have to get another one.

A true flashaholic always has a backup light, often using the same batteries or one light for runtime the other for output/lumens.
I think for the average pocket an 18650 is too big, with a AA/14500 large and AAA/CR123 sizes the best for size/performance.
For my purposes I don't really need 300 lumens in a pocket light about 100-150 would suffice and a medium mode of about 20-30 lumens for about 4-6 hours with a low of about 16+ hours at 2-~10 lumens. I do want an 18650 flashlight but not for pocket/EDC carry as it is fine for a coat pocket but pants pocket along with other stuff in pocket such as knives, keys, change, wallet etc adds too much bulk.

Davis

Newly Enlightened
Hopefully the Wuben E05 won't be too bulky for EDC pocket carry. If it is I'll find another use for it and look for a smaller practical form factor Li-ion light. What drove the push for a Li-ion EDC was when my trusty Titanium Innovations Illuminati, that I've carried for years, died due to a leaked AAA alkaline battery. Plus my other alkaline battery lights are stored without batteries to avoid leak damage.

archimedes

Flashaholic
.... What drove the push for a Li-ion EDC was when my trusty Titanium Innovations Illuminati, that I've carried for years, died due to a leaked AAA alkaline battery. Plus my other alkaline battery lights are stored without batteries to avoid leak damage.

You probably already know this, but "L92" AAA lithium primary batteries (as distinct from 10440 lithium-ion rechargeables) might be another option.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I no longer use alkalines in most devices opting for Nimh or Lithium primaries L91/L92s as these don't leak and perform better under heavy loads.

Yes, in the (relatively few) cases where I need primaries, those L91/L92 are essentially better in every way ... except cost.

Last edited:

Davis

Newly Enlightened
Yes, in the (relatively few) cases where I need primaries, those L91/L92 are essentially better in every way ... except cost.

Agree about the cost which is why I haven't used them. In flashlights do they give better output, brighter, or about the same except they last longer and don't leak?

archimedes

Flashaholic
Agree about the cost which is why I haven't used them. In flashlights do they give better output, brighter, or about the same except they last longer and don't leak?

Output depends on the driver.

More capacity and power, flatter voltage curve, better performance at a wider temperature range, longer storage life, less chance of leaking, lighter weight ... probably some other advantages but those are a good start.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

I agree. Before the price dropped from about $2.50 each in 4 packs to around $1 now in the 16 packs I only bought them on clearance and also would buy camera batteries that had them in them and harvested the cells for a lot cheaper. They are the only battery to leave in things in a car around here and it gets way too hot in the summer (100+ at times) and cold enough in the winter that leakalines struggle.
I won't use a leakaline in a light that I can't afford to throw away if it leaks these days or can't easily clean up the mess. I do use them for short periods of time to test some devices but too many leaks have convinced me that leakalines are unacceptable as a power source for the majority of items. I tend to put L91/L92s in things that I want to have available to use that don't have vampiric drain issues as you can store them for 20+ years and use them when needed. Put a leakaline in a remote for 20 years and you got a mess in 3-7 years or sooner that either ruins it or has you cleaning it up for about an hour each time and in the future the nice coated shiny battery contacts have issues when they now become corroded and have to be polished/sanded to get them to work again.