Build Log: Surefire A2 Aviator replacement LED ring [pic heavy]

davidwestonh

Newly Enlightened
Have you received any feedback from designers of the Surefire A2 Aviator?

I think they should be impressed with the improvements you have made.

Maybe at the Shotshow they can provide you with refreshments"

Great work!

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update #8

It's been mentioned in the sales thread, but I ordered a bunch of 5mm Cree LED's in the hopes of finding a nice neutral one. They weren't originally intended for this A2 ring project, but there are a couple CPF'ers who would prefer a middle ground offering, somewhere between SF's angry blue and Nichia's (admittedly very warm) warm white, so I decided to whip up a ring and see how they perform.

The LED's

1. Cree C513A-MSN-CW0Y0511: 8200mcd, 4600-5600k, 55deg, 75CRI

I ordered 100 and the tints I received varied wildly from a rather sickly yellow to almost cool white. I separated them as best I could into 3 groups - warmer, neutral, cooler.
tintcompareabove.jpg

tintcomparebeamshot.jpg

The neutral ring was built from the best-looking LED's in the neutral group. So basically, out of 100 LED's, this was built with the 3 I thought were the nicest. Keep that in mind. ;)
neutralringactive.jpg

Since they're 55 degree flood LED's, they work well in the OP reflector of the A2 and put out a very smooth, very WIDE beam. The blue A2 is using the stock SF ring.
a2ringcompare.jpg

a2beamcompare.jpg

The boxes have become somewhat of a tradition for my beamshots, so let's get them out of the way. :) See what I'm talking about when I say floody?

Cool White -- Neutral White -- Warm White
boxcool.jpg

boxneutral.jpg

boxwarm.jpg

The warm white Nichia's do indeed have a bit of a blue hotspot that increases with distance. My camera amplifies it and it's nowhere near as prominent to my eyes. I like that they have a tiny bit of blue - it seems to help immensely with rendering color on blue/green objects.

Cool -- Neutral -- Warm
clockcool.jpg

clockneutral.jpg

clockwarm.jpg

The neutrals definitely don't reach very far, but they put out a lot of light up close
stairscool.jpg

stairsneutral.jpg

stairswarm.jpg

Cool -- Neutral -- Warm
outdoorscool.jpg

outdoorsneutral.jpg

outdoorswarma.jpg

This was my best attempt to photograph the transition as the light drops down from incan into LED. I don't have a white wall anywhere in my house so the ceiling will have to suffice. :whistle:

Cool White
coolhigh.jpg

coollow.jpg

Neutral White
neutralhigh.jpg

neutrallow.jpg

Warm White
warmhigh.jpg

warmlow.jpg

The Verdict

Pros
- very bright, probably as bright as the stock white ones (with more flood and less throw)
- not a hint of blue anywhere in the beam
- very smooth, wide beam
- the A2 reflector does a great job smoothing out any artifacts in the beam
- they mesh well with the incan bulb; dropping down out of high isn't unpleasant like it is with the stock white ones

Cons
- the light emitted is a very "dead" light (for lack of a better word... light grey); it's devoid of any color so it simply illuminates an area without really putting any feeling into it
- the tint lottery is in full effect; this ring was made with the best emitters of the bunch - the rest aren't as pretty.
- color rendering is pretty pallid - it makes me look like I have zombie hands

It's tough to make up my mind about these LED's. I'm personally a warm white guy so it doesn't feel right to be using an A2 that has "grey" secondary LED's. That said, it's hard to argue that they don't put out any blue at any distance and they have a very smooth and floody beam. I certainly think these would do the trick for someone who doesn't like warm white, but wants to drop the blue from their stock white ring.

Until next time!

Update (2012-01-24)

I carried this neutral white A2 around with me for a full week and I have to say now that the LED's have quickly grown on me. They put out a literal wall-of-light that's very smooth and has a nice neutral tint. Up close, they do pretty well with colors, though that drops off at a distance. Some comparison shots:

McGizmo High CRI Haiku (92CRI @ 5000k)
nichia119.jpg

Nichia GS cool white (6700k)
coolwhite.jpg

Cree NW (5000k)
neutralwhite.jpg

Nichia Warm White (~3300k)
warmwhite.jpg

The 5000k temperature is a little cooler than the 3300k of the incan bulb, but if you don't mind a bit of a color difference when dropping down out of High, they're an excellent choice.

Last edited:

Luciaro

Newly Enlightened
I have read only now..
I follow step by step your post..
Awesome project.
thank you for sharing us your precious time.

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent thread. I wanted to PM you this question, but I feel it's one others may ask.
Can you mod the A2L secondary LEDs to UV?

StudFreeman

Enlightened
I know you must be wicked busy with Project Lamplighter at the moment but what happened to most of these pics?

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi StudFreeman!

No one was more disappointed than I to learn Imageshack apparently stops hosting images after 2-3 years. Not much of a build log without pictures! I've since switched to hosting them all off my own domain so I know they won't suddenly disappear. I have all the original pictures for this thread but figuring out the order they were in and getting every post edited is a job for a lazy Sunday sometime way in the future. :)

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love it if Calipsoii decided to make a bunch of these A2 rings again! :) There would probably be a few dozen folks wanting some. It is such a classic light!

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
This would be really great to have a new gen of those. One of the greatest custom products ever!

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would purchase a multi mode ring in a heartbeat. I picked up a four flats A2 a few months ago and would LOVE to have a 1 red/2 warm white combo ring.

StudFreeman

Enlightened
I would purchase a multi mode ring in a heartbeat.
I'd grab 2 in a heartbeat. Hopefully the multimode rings will be available again someday. 2xWW/1x red multimode rings would make my A2s into perfect all-rounder lights.

Thanks for the update, calipsoii. Best of luck with the Lamplighter!

iDolo

Newly Enlightened
I would love it if Calipsoii decided to make a bunch of these A2 rings again! :) There would probably be a few dozen folks wanting some. It is such a classic light!

Please, take my money.....

I would buy 2