building a xml lightbar, can i use window glass as lens?

poolman966554

Newly Enlightened
as title states, what will happen?? This lightbar is for my quad, whle i plow snow.

Im curious about lumen loss(if any) and potential thermal shock when snow hits the glass.
Not sure if glass will ever get hot tbh.. im underdriving the xmls at 2.4A each. possibly up to 12.

I can get the glass for free, as why im considering this.

What materials would be proper for a lens with this application if glass will fail? polycarbonate?

Thanks

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
The heat comes out the back of the led into the heatsink, sure the dome of an led is hot and 10W leds can scorch paper if its on the led but it can't heat up glass, your bar body will spread the heatquickly in winter temps, I'd be more worried about shock from the snow blowers vibrations but if its attatched with a flexible seal and can't rattle should be okay. Polycarb or lexan will be better if your running it in the mud and through branches, unless you make the glass piece replaceable since its free maybe get a few backup pieces.

Lumen loss through good clear glass isn't something you'll notice with 1000s of lumens. Most of the loss will probably be reflected back into the light.
But green/safety glass could do more harm than good as theres multiple layers bonded together hence more reflecting or is it refracting?
Back in the old days before the Cree revolution we had like 60 lumens to work with and 10% loss was a lot now don't fret just be happy and wear tinted googles so you don't get snow blindness from your 10,000 Lumen head light :D