Bulb/Reflector modules

Mercyfulfate1777

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone,

is there a plus side to having a light with a bulb/reflector module rather than just a bulb you can replace without having to replace the entire thing? I bought two lights recently a Pelican Sabrelite 2000 and a Streamlight 3C and both have the bulb/reflector module, its easy enough to replace if the bulb goes out but how long will they make these replacements for these?

They are both really great lights but wow, if i would have known this im not sure i would have bought them?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The bulb/reflector combo module makes for a much more durable flashlight when used for rough conditions. Both products you cite were what I call "duty" lights, or perhaps 'industrial' lights would be a better term. Both were built for potentially rugged conditions.

Plus when a proprietary bulb is merged into the reflector system a consistant output is more available. In those PR based like Maglites, older Rayovacs and such any old stock type bulb will do but quality of the beam is a crapshoot. Mag bulbs were/are pretty consistant though.

Being a fan of vintage lights it took a while to discover which brand used to make bulbs that put out a good beam with each new one versus many "famous" name bulbs whose beam was repleat with ugliness.
Reflector shape and size plays a big role in those replaceable bulb lights where the module is like a Reeses Peanut Butter cup. A perfect combo of items that combined make a mighty fine treat.

I really, really like Pelican modules.

Last edited:

Mercyfulfate1777

Newly Enlightened
I was hoping you would chime in bykfixer,thanks.

never thought of the durability aspect. would you know how long they have been using this type of set up? im sure its not new. And do you think they will have the bulb/reflector set up years from now?

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, by mating the bulb and reflector like that, the manufacturer can guarantee very precise alignment to obtain the best throw and spill. By having a replaceable bulb like the incan Mini-mags, one can guarantee with almost complete certainty that there will be misalignment between the filament and the reflector, with its attendant reduction in beam quality and throw.

If you are worried about obsolescence, stock up on a few extra inserts now and set them aside so that when they finally become not available from the manufacturer and/or third party, you will have some ready to go. And if for some reason when that time occurs and you no longer have or want to use that light, you can probably sell those extras for more than you paid for them. Scarcity, ya know.

broadgage

Enlightened
IIRC, one of the first types of light to use a lamp module rather than a simple bulb were the lanterns that clamp to the top of a 6 volt screw terminal 8F lantern battery.

Burgess radar lite, big beam, Ever ready, and others. Many of these light use a PAR 30 sealed beam lamp, usually 4.75 volt, 0.5amp or thereabouts. These have been produced for decades and are still readily available. Although appreciably more expensive than a simple PR flashlight bulb the sealed beam lamps have the merit of a new, perfectly aligned, completely untarnished reflector each time.
The range is over a mile, not bad for only about 2.4 watts.