Bulging batteries

OldNick

Newly Enlightened
I have maybe 1/2 dozen LiPo batterties. Two of them have bulged. Neither of them has had hard use or charging. They have both sat for maybe 3-4 months unused innside the house at a max temp of 30-32 C. Same as the others. But they have bulged. One is a Turnigy and the other is a Chinese-bought no-name. The TG has bulged maybe 2-3mm of soft gas and the other about 1mm.

So why are they bulging, and should I dump these?

Thanks for any help.

Nick

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Nick,

When they bulge it indicates that damaged has occurred internally. One cause of this can be rough handling. I know of one case where someone ran their fingernail across the cell (not very hard but enough to make a small crease) and it bulged. Note that this damage can happen before you take possession of the battery.

The bulge is due to a build up of gas inside the cell. Some have given the cell a pin prick to release the gas then sealed up the hole but if you push the pin too far in you can short out the cell and have a much better problem on your hands. This is not recommended. Not at all.

If you keep close track of your batteries performance you will notice a fall off when the cells start to bulge.

The safest thing to do is to properly dispose of the battery.

Tom

OldNick

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that. Boy these batteries are a bit drama queen aren't they? I have certainly not done anything to either of these. I did badly under discharge another one, though and it's fine!

Shrug