Buyer´s Remorse: How big is too big for EDC?

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a matter of comfort, and it may come down to the clothing style and pocket depth.
I have carried 6.5" long lights, with up to 1.8" diameter bezel size in my cargo pants.
Most of my pants or jeans could tolerate that length in the pockets, but for tight pants or jeans, the smaller bezel sizes are more comfortable.
My current EDC is 4" long and has a 1.2" bezel diameter.

markr6

Flashaholic
I usually wear jeans and then the max size is AAA-light with pocket clip in my front pocket.
With jeans I find both AA and 123 to bulky.

Agreed. While something a Fenix E11 seems like a nice EDC size for me with nice output, I just can't EDC it. It turns sideways in your pocket and looks bad, feels even worse. A clip may have helped. The LD12 is close in size but getting a bit thick even with relaxed/loose jeans, poking you in the hip when sitting down, putting on shoes, bending down, etc.

I just recently given up and decided to research AAA lights for EDC. I'm either going with an Olight I3s or Fenix LD01...haven't decided yet.

Of course, there's the Photon II on my keychain which is always there, so that makes it a great EDC even though it's pretty dim with a nasty yellowish hotspot a violet ring.

dusty99

Newly Enlightened
I hear you. I sold the Xeno E03 I bought because it was too big for everyday pocket carry. My current favorites are an EagleTac D25A twisty, L3 L10 Nichia and a Thrunite T10. All are between 79 and 83mm long, and all fit in a Levis watch pocket.

SilentK

Enlightened
On a normal day, I EDC a Quark Mini MA HCRI. It's a surprisingly tiny light for what it is, and I couldn't ask for much more output when I'm running an IMR 14500 in it. I'll notice a bic lighter in my pocket more than this light. I often carry my PD32 into the car with me in case I need more firepower. I can even EDC the PD32 in a front pocket comfortably, as well. 95% of the time I wear a pair of Levi 514's. For what it's worth, I weigh 170 and am 6'5".

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
If we limit it to pocket carry I'd say the upper limit is an 18650 light, I EDC'd a surefire C2 for a long time and that was pushing my upper boundaries due to the head size, the next size up in length or a 26650 diameter light would probably push into belt carry only. I happen to prefer looser fitting cargo or carpenters pants (not hanging down loose) and nowdays usually just drop my G2/M60wl into one of the cargo pockets, tighter jeans or dress slacks would probably be limited to the 1xAA/2xAAA form factors.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think this thread should be named "how big is too big for pocket carry", as that is a very different question. I EDC a 18650 light at all times except at home, but there is no way I would even consider putting an 18650 light in any of my pockets for more than a minute or two (they would physically fit no problem, but they are a little too big to be comfortable). I have EDC'ed a TM26 several times now, and I don't think it is too big for EDC either, just don't see the need for it on a daily basis. They only light I pocket is my cell phone, and my Photon Light keychain.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the PA10 still the brightest 1xAA (14500) light out there? Or has any light beat it? Shame it loses modes on 14500's though. 650 lumens, cant be beat! or has it been beaten?

Climb14er

Enlightened
My SC600 is reserved for the house and traveling. The SC52 is my EDC. Great light! I've got the Eagletac D25A Ti that is also an incredible pocket light. Also very highly recommended.

I like the way both use an Eneloop single-A! It'll take one new incredible light to get me away from either of the two single-A lights.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
As TEEJ said above (way above) it is very subjective. I carry a very small light in my pants pocket - a 10180 cell, that's about 1/3 AAA. I'm only talking about my pants pocket - I have other lights in my coat pocket (winter), briefcase (work), knapsack (weekends), car, clipped to my belt (weekends), etc.

jaycyu

Enlightened
Wear it on your belt since the PA10 has a belt clip.
I carry a L2P with an aggressive strike bezel and an aggressive tailcap on mine, and it feels quite concealable compared to the various holster that I used to sheath it in, so an AA should feel like nothing outside your pants.

I'm in kind of the same boat as the OP. I have a few EDC items that stay one my keyring; that way I never leave the house without them. My keyring holds my keys (obviously), a small knife (Spyderco Ladybug3 in ZDP-189 and a flashlight. While I'm compelled to have my minimum EDC stuff, I'm pathologically averse to having a bunch of crap in my pockets. For me the largest light that I can tolerate along with my other stuff is the Fenix E01. It's not super bright but it is super compact. It's powerful enough to do anything I've had to do and if it were bigger it would probably sit beside my computer instead of in my pocket.

I do often carry a more potent light but not as true EDC. Maybe I could get a little bigger light if I got a smaller knife but the Ladybug3 is about the smallest "serious" knife I've ever seen.

So yeah...if you're talking pocket carry it probably wouldn't work for me. If it's too big to serve that role for you it could still be a good glove box or nightstand light. Plus it gives you an excuse to get another flashlight!:D