Cabela's U.D.I.?

roadie

Enlightened
interesting looking item ....:):)

from far looks like a piece of chocolate or .....:sssh: :p

anyone has review on this light?:poke:

mdocod

Flashaholic
hmmm... A full polymer body light with an LED...

The runtime claims are obviously based on including every hour of light all the way until it is barely producing light, expect a fraction of the claimed runtime, especially on the 2xCR123 light.

wolfstyle

Enlightened
Would the runtimes be low due to heat? I wonder if this light is using a P60 type drop-in, so you could easily put it in a 6P and have a good heatsink with a warm tint.

wolfstyle

mdocod

Flashaholic
The runtime's at full output would likely be lower than rated due to The Law of Conservation of Energy... (We know the efficiency of a modern warm emitter, we know the capacity of CR123s, we can thus extrapolate realistic runtimes on paper and call out false claims as we see them :) )

UNLESS....

There is a thermal management system that ramps down the output as it heats up, this could theoretically extend runtime if tested in continuous runs that keep the thing warm.. But this would not be a realistic operating condition for most flashlights, which get used for seconds or minutes at a time in most applications.

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hate to break this to them, but...
CRI 80 isn't exactly special. Natural and warm white SSC P4's have a CRI of 90.

mdocod

Flashaholic
orcinus,

Great point! I was reading that and trying to remember the CRI ratings on other LEDs and was thinking... hmmm? 80? seems like nothing special.

Sounds to me like it would behave like a very blatantly yellow looking light, with very poor wide-spectrum performance.