Camper shell interior light suggestion?

StinkyTool

Newly Enlightened
Googled and found an insane amount of LED light strips, so I come here to the experts.

I will be running a dedicated wire w/ inline fuse. Maybe a 12"-18" LED strip for the light with a push button mounted nearby inside the shell.

So, I'm looking for recommendations, if any. The brighter the better, typically. Is there a reliable option and an easy way I could have the bar light up white on demand or red for night time? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

ST

RoGuE_StreaK

Enlightened
I think for that purpose just about any LED strip should be "fine", if my image searching for "camper shell" is correct (fibreglass canopy for a trayback?) then you shouldn't have any issues getting enough brightness, in fact you could very easily get too much. Guess it depends on how much you want to spend, how much time you are running them for, what you are doing in there, etc.

One thing I will say RE: white and red, is to get two separate strips, one actually white and one red, rather than trying to use the RGB strips; RGB-combined white just won't cut the mustard if white is what you are actually after. Yeah it can be kinda white, but if you don't need to be able to change colours like a disco, go for the dedicated colour.

[EDIT] This thread may have some info of interest

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suggest you go to a commercial vehicle factor and thumb through the ready made interior lights available to the trade for break down vehicles,you will find these are robust purpose made and usually with a very significant discount.

Hilldweller

Enlightened
I've got a little teardrop trailer that came with two interior lights in the cabin. Just the standard incandescent variety. I swapped the bulbs for LED pucks from high intensity LEDs dot com ---- glad I got the lower lumen offering.
I supplemented them recently with a little LED strip from Wallyworld; I cut all but 3 LEDs from the strip and installed one in a light with a separate switch. Just enough light to move around and not bombard your brain with light.

I guess that's my take-away for you. Get some bright stuff but also install some red or pinkish dim stuff too. The whole idea of camping is to enjoy nature, not light it up like Broadway.

I put a couple of the Walmart strips in the galley too. Two white ones with a red one for general lighting, one single red one for finding the fridge and fetching beer without killing night vision, and a task light over the stove that I tinted selective yellow.

052_zps3c71ec18.jpg

058_zps047fb328.jpg

050_zps882ce908.jpg

Look at our camper section on ExPo for some ideas too: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/forums/71-Expedition-Campers

StinkyTool

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll report back when I get everything delivered and wired up.

Thanks again.

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
If you need anything bigger, there are lots of white LED backup and work lights out there. I, too, like the idea of a dim bed light and a bright one. Nice to have a choice. ;)