camping flashlight

Backpacker Light

Enlightened
I didn't really consider headlamps. I'm not sure why. maybe i can get a clip or holder of some kind to use my LD10 or E01 as a headlamp?

Headlights are great for camping, where you are often performing tasks requiring both of your hands.

Are you aware of this Nite-Ize headband that will hold your LD10, your E01, or numerous other lights? (There are two different size elastic bands side by side).
http://www.brightguy.com/products/Nite_Ize_Headband_NPO-07_NPO-03.php

jankj

Enlightened
I didn't really consider headlamps. I'm not sure why. maybe i can get a clip or holder of some kind to use my LD10 or E01 as a headlamp?

Yep, that works, but a dedicated headlamp is more comfortable. I don't like the nite-ize headband. It would have been great if it was not a solid strap (A solid strap is either too tight or too lose. A flexible strap would be much better). The fenix headband appears to work very well, but seems like a little overkill. I think the best is either to make your own or purchase the nitecore headband (available from 4sevens.com).

I'm not sure of the normal fenix or quark lights for camping. my LD10 seems a bit fragile. it's great for EDC but I'm not sure how it would hold up as a main camping light.

usually when we go camping we have one of those coleman type flourescent lanterns that works well for lighting up stuff for cooking etc. so that's like a flood type light.

I wish I could have figured out why I didn't like my LD10. it was just not enough light. I'm not sure how to describe it. it's great for EDC, it just didn't cut it camping.

What kind of batteries do you use in your LD10? I suggest nimh low self discharge, such as sanoy eneloop. The performance increase is HUGE from alkaline batteries, particular for the brighter settings.

Also, I'm a bit puzzled about how the LD10 could not be bright enough??? When I camping I almost exclusively use the dimmest settings on my lights. Plenty bright to get things done in the dark. That may be different if your eyes are always "daylight adapted". Maybe you are blinded from that coleman lantern? Actually, my biggest complain about the LD10 is that the lowest setting is WAY TOO BRIGHT for my liking. Your mileage and preferences appears to be very different from mine. Thus, my recommendation (quark neutral AA or AA^2, a neutral zebralight headlamp) may be off the mark for what YOU need.

The only area where I find the LD10 (or actually the L1D, the previous model with less efficient emitter) did not cut it was when I wanted a thrower to search for things far away (camp sites, trails, swedish backpackers). It did fairly good, but did not reach as far as I wanted. I always wish I had a "little extra" reach. The extra battery of the L2D gives that extra "punch" that makes the L2D so much more useful for this application. The lower modes (which I use the most) are identical.

Anyways, the neutral quarks (AA, AA*2 with eneloop's) blows L1D / L2D out of the water for MY application. The spill is useful enough for these lights to be my "flood lights". The hot spot is smaller and reaches further. The neutral color makes the light so much more useful (and less glaring), which means I can use less light to achieve the same (preserving night vision) and see further. And the low modes don't kill your night vision the way LD10/LD20/L1D/L2D does. The warm white zebralights has gotten so much praise that I won't repeat it here...

Backpacker Light

Enlightened
I don't like the nite-ize headband. It would have been great if it was not a solid strap (A solid strap is either too tight or too lose. A flexible strap would be much better).

Actually, the Nite-ize headband is not a solid strap, it has a velcro strip for adjustment. It is quite comfortable.

What kind of batteries do you use in your LD10? I suggest nimh low self discharge, such as sanoy eneloop. The performance increase is HUGE from alkaline batteries, particular for the brighter settings.

Also, I'm a bit puzzled about how the LD10 could not be bright enough??? When I camping I almost exclusively use the dimmest settings on my lights. Plenty bright to get things done in the dark. Actually, my biggest complain about the LD10 is that the lowest setting is WAY TOO BRIGHT for my liking.

+ + :twothumbs
I was wondering the same exact thing???
Not bright enough?

drmaxx

Enlightened
Headlamp. Headlamp. Headlamp. Nothing beats a dedicated headlamp for camping.
I really love the wide spill of the Zebralight (501) for general chores. If you plan to hike in the dark then I would get a headband for your LD10 (either from Fenix or Nightcore). Together with the Zebralight you got a very good setup.

jankj

Enlightened
Actually, the Nite-ize headband is not a solid strap, it has a velcro strip for adjustment. It is quite comfortable.

Sorry for being unclear. You fasten the velcro to accomplish a solid, non-flexible headband of appropriate size. In my experience, this does not work really well - either too tight or too loose. Trying to get a perfect fit with velcro is too much fumbling in the dark for me... A locking mechanism would probably be better - just tighten with a certain pressure will give you the perfect fit. Or make it flexible.

Your mileage may wary, and I'm fine with that. If you like it - use it. It sort of works for me, but with some dislikes. Still good enough to have in my shed as a backup headlamp, though...

Oh ... has anyone tested the nightcore D10 headband? Looks promising! I think that solution has potential to be the best headband available, but so far I've not read any reviews.

Last edited:

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh ... has anyone tested the nightcore D10 headband? Looks promising! I think that solution has potential to be the best headband available, but so far I've not read any reviews.

I'll let you know. I was ordering an EZAA Neutral (25% off sale FTW) from 4Sevens when I read drmaxx's thread and thought "what the hell, I'll throw one of those onto the order".

It is designed to work with a 1xAA light and I have a bunch of those - D10 R2, Jet-I Pro V2, Quark AA Neutral, L2D which I can swap to a L1D body and the EZAA Neutral on the way (which will arrive at the same time as the headband).

But I would use it to compliment my H60w rather than instead of it. I think there is some advantage in a nice wide area of light with no hot spot (kinda like the light you have at home when you turn on the light switch or normal daytime).

Last edited:

3D black mag

Newly Enlightened
Hi :welcome: Be sure to check out Eagletac lights cheap and great quality. And IMHO the low battery warning is very annoying was one of the main reasons I sold my TK10.

chewbroccoli

Newly Enlightened
I have a green and silver energizer 2500 mAh nickel metal hydride rechargable battery in my LD10 right now.

I'm leaning towards the M20/AAA combo with a nitecore headstrap.

the M20 should be a good enough thrower for my needs right now I think. the little AAA or my E01 could be little flooders and the LD10 can be used as a headlamp with the strap.

I'm not sure what to do about batteries though. I think I'd rather get rechargeables than disposables. 4sevens has lots of AW rechargeables. the M20 says it can use:

Batteries: 2xCR123A, 2xRCR123A, 2x16340, 1x18650, or 1x17670

I know the cr123's are the little disposable ones you can get but I'm at a loss for the rest. any suggestions?

thanks,

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I have a green and silver energizer 2500 mAh nickel metal hydride rechargable battery in my LD10 right now.
Holy cr@p, Energizer 2500's??? Yipee, I finally get to use this smiley: :toilet:
I would definitely use an Eneloop AA NiMH in that LD10 for now (also AAA Eneloops for the smaller lights). Moving forward, I can't think of a better configuration than a light that uses a single 2600mAh protected AW 18650. :thumbsup:

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm leaning towards the M20/AAA combo with a nitecore headstrap.

the M20 should be a good enough thrower for my needs right now I think. the little AAA or my E01 could be little flooders and the LD10 can be used as a headlamp with the strap.

I'm not sure what to do about batteries though. I think I'd rather get rechargeables than disposables. 4sevens has lots of AW rechargeables. the M20 says it can use:

Batteries: 2xCR123A, 2xRCR123A, 2x16340, 1x18650, or 1x17670

I know the cr123's are the little disposable ones you can get but I'm at a loss for the rest. any suggestions?

thanks,

1 x 18650 = longest run time, it is about twice as long as the 123 cells and slightly fatter.
You will need a charger for Li-ion cells and it is definitely worth buying at least 2 batteries so you can swap from one to the other when the first one gets run down.

If you bought one of these and two of these then you would be up and running for years of power for the M20.

shark_za

Enlightened
My camping setup is a Solarforce L2 with another 18mm 2cell extention to run 2x 18650 2200mAh Solarforce protected cells.
A multimode LED lets me run it really low for walking around and flat out for seeing things. I dont see charging happening all that often on trips.

A headlamp for sure around the campsite, Petzl Tikka is what I use.

LD10 can be used when the main light is charging or as reserve (with LD20 body)

Howecollc

Enlightened
For the man who is always wearing a baseball cap, I've got the ultimate low level, low interference, low weight, low cost headlamp solution. Take 1 $.99 Lighthound keychain light, 1 #8 by 3/4" brass machine screw, and 1 #8 brass knurled nut. Drill a 5/32" to 3/16" hole in the bill of your cap, and tighten the light on the top front edge of the bill to avoid glare in your eyes.

But wait, there's more!!! For one payment of only $7.00 more, you can do this same build with a Photon brand light.

The Lighthound keychain lights are just as bright as the Photon Micro-Light II, and can be replaced for the same cost as new batteries.

drmaxx

Enlightened
The Lighthound keychain lights are just as bright as the Photon Micro-Light II, and can be replaced for the same cost as new batteries.
Having a headlamp that works in and after a thunderstorm or after being dropped in the river is really nice. Not quite sure about the Lighthound one, but most of these fauxtons are not really waterproof. And they corrode badly if you expose them to water.
They are only a buck, so no problem just to replace them - but sometimes having a reliable light is just priceless.....

Howecollc

Enlightened
Having a headlamp that works in and after a thunderstorm or after being dropped in the river is really nice. Not quite sure about the Lighthound one, but most of these fauxtons are not really waterproof. And they corrode badly if you expose them to water.
They are only a buck, so no problem just to replace them - but sometimes having a reliable light is just priceless.....
I can't speak for dropping it in the river, but it's seen its share of rain with the switch side facing up. It's quite well built, with 4 tiny screws holding it together; just like the original micro-lights, and unlike the see-thru X-Light Micro, which is just snapped together and falls apart easily. I'd have never given it a chance either, had Lighthound not thrown it in for free with my last order.

Even if one wishes to spend $8.00 for the Photon, you're still under $10.00 total for a barely noticeable set-up that outshines any of the $30.00 4 LED Petzyls that I have used.

Last edited:

syncytial

Newly Enlightened
There are many good suggestions in this thread. Particularly, the idea of considering what sort of camping you do, and thus what sort of lights you require, then buying lights (plural - redundancy and suitability to task) to suit your needs.

1/ Any modern high-output throw-oriented light, possibly with a tint suited to outdoor use - TK20, TK11, Solarforce L2 with the new 3-mode low voltage dropin, a 2D or 3D new Maglite with the Rebel LED (goes on sale @ Canadian Tire), Dorcy 200 lumen rechargeable (if you've got a vehicle to charge from - available from Rona), Quark neutral AA running on a 14500 Li-Ion (covers very low to high output) etc.

(You could just buy a Fenix LD20 body to use with your LD10, if all you need is a bit more output. The LD10/20 isn't delicate, but the TK series are much tougher. The Energizer 2500 mAh batteries are not considered to be good, and *may* be contributing to your concerns.)

2/ One or two low output/floodier lights, either a headlamp or AAA/AA light with clip that can be used on a hat - Fenix E01, LD01, or the three mode ITP A3 EOS (has a true low as well as moderately high output), Zebralight, PT EOS Rebel headlamp, etc.

3/ Area lantern when group/car camping - Rayovac Sportsman Extreme 300 lumen lantern (Available @ Rona - it's too big to carry when traveling light).

Also consider how long you go camping and what sort of batteries you prefer... AA & AAA lights mean you can get batteries anywhere, anytime if you run short.

Sanyo Eneloops are excellent rechargeables in AA & AAA and Shopper's Drug Mart periodically puts them on sale in the white-topped Duracell version @ $7.00 for four. There is an acceptable Duracell slow charger that terminates well that also goes on sale @7.00 with two batteries, although it's most often packaged with the less-desirable black-topped non-Eneloop Duracell LSD batteries. Canadian Tire sells the very well regarded Duracell Mobile Charger (check for white topped batteries if you can find them) and it periodically is on sale too (which is good because the charger is overpriced locally). There is a lot of info here about these batteries.

The lights that run from 18650 Li-ion batteries are often excellent performers - the question is will you have enough charged batteries to cover the time required? Using only enough light for the task at hand helps to preserve both batteries and night vision. Of course, you may want to light up the night at times for entertainment or safety reasons too!

AW sells excellent protected 18650s in the marketplace. His batteries are also available through many good on-line retailers. If you look at the Solarforce L2, you could get a Solarforce charger and batteries with it. There's even a lantern attachment for the L2, which is kind of neat, but not cheap.

I've got everything I've mentioned except the Solarforce batteries and charger, and my suggestion is to start out conservatively. Stick with AA & AAA formats for now, and after reading CPF for a few months, you'll be lusting after lots of high-powered lights, but you'll have a much better idea of what differentiates the different lights.

Read Woods Walker's posts about real-world use of lights in the woods. I concur with his suggested TK20 (the tint is important as well as output) and PT Rebel EOS headlamp. I'd add an ITP A3 EOS three-mode AAA light. That should cover it for now, and respect your budget. The alternative is to go for a higher output light and use it in combination with your E01. Don't forget to factor in the cost of batteries and a charger if needed.

If you still want lots more light then it'll mean considering some of the very high output lights like the new ITP A6 Polestar or other (more expensive) quad-die lights.

Some suggested sources (others are good too - check out the CPF Marketplace for dealer and deal info, including discount codes):

www.shiningbeam.com (ITP & others)
www.sbflashlights.com (SolarForce)
www.4sevens.ca (or .com) (4Sevens/Quark)

Local brick & morter stores (watch for sales - often noted in the CANADA - Good Deals thread in the CPF Marketplace):

Rona - selected Rayovac, Dorcy, and Maglite
Canadian Tire -Maglite & Duracell Mobile Charger
Mountain Equipment Co-op - Princeton Tec headlamps, Nite-Ize headstraps
Shopper's Drug Mart - Duracell pre-charged LSD NiMh batteries

Regards,

Syncytial

chewbroccoli

Newly Enlightened
is there a noticeable difference between using a 18650 vs 2xCR123's? I'm not sure I could afford the AW 18650 setup. Deal extreme has "TrustFire" 18650's for a lot cheaper. would that be a noticeable difference vs the AW's? has anyone used the trustfire batteries before?

I'm quite leaning towards the olight M20. I'll probably pick up a TK20 sometime later.

Egsise

Banned
is there a noticeable difference between using a 18650 vs 2xCR123's? I'm not sure I could afford the AW 18650 setup. Deal extreme has "TrustFire" 18650's for a lot cheaper. would that be a noticeable difference vs the AW's? has anyone used the trustfire batteries before?

I'm quite leaning towards the olight M20. I'll probably pick up a TK20 sometime later.
Some people say that there is a reason why the TrustFire Li-ions are cheap.