Camping flashlights - Streamlight Night-Com, TwinTask (or something else?)

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
You definitely first need a headlamp for camping, then maybe a flashlight with good throw. You need both hands for most of work arround the camp. You go searching for some wood for the fire - you need both hands to pick it up and split it into smaller parts (you would need a third hand for the flashlight), or you need to setup a shelter in the night, cook, search for something in the bag... Things go really easier with a headlamp.
I am using a Petzl Tikka XP (waiting for Zebralight H50 to replace it).

spoonrobot

Enlightened
I'd second the Streamlight Sidewinder.

It's got 4 colors with 5 levels each and has very good runtime. It's near the top of your budget at 49.95$ before shipping but I think it has more utility than a regular round-body flashlight.

Gatsby

Enlightened
Thanks for all the good suggestions thus far!

I've definitely got a headlamp on the list. Even tinkering around the house I've had to hold my flashlight in my mouth often enough to do something that while they don't seem to have the same appeal to us as handheld lights in terms of discussion topics, it is pretty clear they may be the most useful thing you can have in your backpack, bug out bag, emergency supply kit, etc... I've been looking at the PT Aurora but will check out the Tikka as well.

As for what I'll be using it for - mostly tasks around the campground. I don't anticipate navigating at night as a routine activity - although I'll pack the Strion since it is small and light as a just in case light (and I can keep it topped off with the car charger on the way to camp site/trail).

At first we'll be doing more campground, car camping, but I'd like to keep going enough to eventually start hiking a short distance off the trail so weight is a factor.

I'll check out the lights metioned, particularly ones I'm less familiar with like the Lumapowers, the VB-16 and the Proton (which I've never had a reason to really look at one since I have most of the bases covered with the HDS) - although it sounds like a better clip/lanyard and sheath for teh HDS might be the easiest solution across the board.

Katdaddy

Enlightened
Surefire A2, keep reading, for just 80 dollars I won one on ebay. White leds. Might be worth a try, I have fallen in love with this light. I just got back from fishing with it, and I really think I used it more than my spotlight for catfish floats. It will be with me for my camping trip next week!

+1 on the A2! This is a bit higher than you said you wanted to spend, but if you make the leap you will not be disappointed. This is my favorite camping light. The LEDs are great when just a little light is needed and the incan bulb when you need to reach out and see what made that noise in the dark.

stevedenver

Newly Enlightened
gatsby
youve been given good advice-get a good headlamp-get ones that use AA's
or
the tikka

all this presumes youre carrying your stuff-then 7-8 ozs does make a difference with all the other things you need-

admittedly nothing more fun than a bright light in the woods-but it isnt necessary around camp-if your actuall hiking at night youll want more throw-

i like petzl and i like princeton tech-durable, waterprrof, and easy to monkey with in the field and reliable-simple and easy to avoid accidental discharge in your pack-

i tried a cheapy rayovac headlamp recommended by a cheapskate friend -sold at walmart-3aaa-red and white leds and a tiny incandescent-

novel but worthless-very short burn time-drinks batteries

-cheap yes-dont go too cheap-you probably dont need much light-but you want to be able to have things run a long time-ie just be able to leave it on while doing things and not worry about conserving batteries too much -imho-red leds arent bad for reading and close in work - as would be a red filter-

this is my first post here -l love flashlights but have nothing of the expertise -

however i do a lot of camping and climbing and have been doing so around the world and in colorado for over forty years

-heres an overview and my non-techno experience

first as mentioned most of what you do may require both hands

second weight is a huge factor if you backpack and climb
most camp tasks are close-soft even light is plenty and preferable to a hot spot

the only time you might need real power is a down climb or a bad trail etc -at night-i hope you never are in this situation-and then too youll need both hands -
i use the first version -ancient - princeton tech Matrix-goes from 3 dimmish leds to a more powerful krypton bulb assembly-not the best but excellent for reading and cooking and setting up camp-burns for 120 hours i think-lasted me three weeks every night while climbing in Nepal at temps under 20 and less - great to read by-plenty of light for around camp

brighter and heavier and requireing twice as many batteries (4AA) is my petzl duo with a bright incandescent and a second 5 led low power lamp-expensive and battery pack at the back of your head-but good for long useage -like caving or a very long night walk

the tikka and other small lamps are typically ALL you really need-around camp-NOT adequate IMHO for a hike on anything other than a very clear and well marked path

-face it-unless youre in a mess -most of us are set up by dark and staying put

hand held lights really dont make sense to me-consider the mid -night relief in 20 degrees- or 50 , or rain or snow or wind etc., for that matter -do you really want to be holding something in your teeth while using your hands?

lithium batteries are lighter and seem to work better at low temps too-easy to carry a spare set

i dont bother with lanterns unless i know ill be setting up late and cooking and organizing in the dark-and im in the car-they are a nice luxury convenience and add comfort to young ones-but if you have to carry your stuff-not worth it IMHO-and if im not carrying my gear - i use a butane lantern (GAZ cartridge) lots of light-too bright -like a 80 watt bulb in the darkness-weighs about the same as my little ridgerock lanterns with 3 AA's -but a bit bigger and alot more delicate-

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Every year I go camping and the light that gets the most use is the gerber sonic aaa. It's small and has just enough light. I like a light with a little throw to see into the woods, and my gerber FIRECRACKER is good enough for that.

Anything else is overkill unless you need to do some night surgery.

We don't even take lanterns, because it's so nice to enjoy the natural darkness, or to just have a campfire for some lighting.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
When camping (and this is just my personal preferences) I always have lights in these categories.

1) Something with a lot of throw power
2) Something that won't blind me up close
3) Something "hands free" that illuminates an area (especially for after dark cooking)
4) Something tiny that is always with me.

I've condensed it to three lights and have stuck to this group for a while now....

Night-Ops Gladius for powerhouse throw while still having the ability to dim down really low.

Princeton Tec Aurora headlamp. I've tried several lamps and keep coming back to the bright and even area illumination of the Aurora for the up close "hands free" tasks. It also has variable power to avoid torturing dark-adapted eyes.

I usually also have at least one tiny little photon or similar light on a neck lanyard so that it's handy at all times.

Last edited:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I camp my wife and I use those candle lanterns from REI. We use a 3 candle model and 2 one candle models. Perfect soft illumination. And once again the Tikka headlamps get the most use. If you don't have a headlamp a Arc AAA-P or simular on a neck lanyard works in a pinch.

A white mini-mag traffic cone will fit perfectly on your HDS B42 and makes a great tent light on the primary setting.

I'm camping again next weekend and my primary handheld will be my NovaTac 85P.

kelmo

Last edited:

Benjammin22250

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest a princeton tec EOS headlamp. I really like mine I have had it for years. I have also had an apex which I like a lot ,but for under fifty bucks i dont think you can beat it.

Hawaiian

Newly Enlightened
I have a headlamp. On a camping trip last month I got up in the night to go to the can and my Surefire E2e was too bright. The dot on the ground when I was walking was so bright that it dilated my pupils and I could not see anything else when I looked up. I decided I needed a variable output light. One that I could turn down for trips like this, but one that also had other fun settings. For camping, the variable settings is the way to go.

The mailman just dropped off a Fenix P3D Rebel. Seems to work great so far. Waiting for it to get dark so I can go outside and play. Going camping again in two weeks and I can try out all the settings.

peteybaby

Newly Enlightened
+1 to all those who said a headlamp is best for camping.

To all those who suggested various handheld lights, have you tried a headlamp? If so, I'm curious why you'd recommend a handheld over a headlamp for camping. To me, it's a no-brainer. I'd rather have a $5 headlamp than a $500 handheld for any camping trip.

If you recommended a handheld but you've never tried a headlamp, I say try a headlamp and then repost your opinion here. I'll bet your opinion will change.

To the guy who said his 3D Maglite is good for pee breaks, how do you, uhh... hold it, without accidentally peeing or splashing on your Maglite sometimes? I sure ain't gonna ever borrow YOUR Maglite. :)

I just returned from a week-long camping trip to Arches National Park and Yellowstone Nat. Park. Awesome places, especially Arches. But there's no way I'd go camping with just a handheld, or 2 or 3 or 10. You MUST have a headlamp. I use a Princeton Tec Apex+ (stock + Seoul). Some might find that too bulky or heavy, but I never do. Once it's on my head I don't notice it, except that I feel confident having it on. Dim enough for reading, and bright enough to make other campers say "holy cow" (as one did as I passed his RV while walking on the road to the bathroom, just playing with the headlight to see what I could illuminate).

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Peteybaby,

Let me start off by saying that I love headlamps...

Years ago I learned the art of flashlight use from my dad. At the time, headlamps were not as available as they are now. We used 2 D cell lights most of the time, but I also had a couple of penlights.

I learned the art of working in the dark and how to cradle a light so you could free up your other hand. Since the lights we were using were D cell lights, this did not involve mouth holding. I also learned that you really don't need much light to get around at night, but you need a lot if you are trying to hike out. We would generally hike with a destination in mind. If we didn't make it to the destination, we would hike until dark, set up camp in the dark, then leave at first light to make it to where we were going.

When I joined the Boy Scouts, my dad gave me a 2 D angle head light. I still have it and it still works. This light had a hook on it and it became very easy to hook it in your pants or on a belt for hand free use. It also didn't roll when you set it on a table. Reading at night involved sipping a sock or shirt over the light and you ended up with a nice diffused reading beam.

Now if we skip ahead to when headlamps are readily available and I have some money to spend on them, I pick up a headlamp to try out. Wow, there are some things that a headlamp is great for, but it isn't the solution for everything. Its flat diffused beam is good for reading and general area lighting, but I often found myself removing it from my head to shine it at an angle to find things dropped on the ground.

I gave my first headlamp away, favoring my angle head 2 D light that I used in Boy Scouts.

When Mag Light introduced the 2 AA Mini Mag, I thought I was in heaven. You could pull the head off and use it in lantern mode while playing cards or reading inside the tent. It is dim enough that you really don't loose your night vision, yet still have some light to see what is going on.

Moving ahead to LED headlamps. I decided that I wanted a headlamp for use in my car. Picked one up and tried using it. It worked great for checking the oil and making sure the fan belt was still on, but when working on the car, I often found my head was not in the right place to let the light shine on what I was working on. In this case I ended up with a magnetic light.

I find it interesting that in our Boy Scout troop, several of the boys have headlamps. The boys with headlamps tend to fall down more when tearing around the camp at night. The dads and I have thought that it had to do with the spectrum differences with LED lighting, but I also speculate that the angle of the light also has something to do with this. Mountain bike riders have noticed a similar thing. If they only have a helmet mounted light, they find themselves having problems identifying how deep holes and ruts are. If they add a handlebar mounted light, the problem seems to diminish.

Another "issue" I have with headlamps around camp is that when you sit down to chat or play cards, you end up with lights flashing in your face. This destroys your night vision and seems to take away from the cosiness of camp. For playing cards we usually get the boys to lower their light and wear it around their neck, but I don't have this problem with the boys that are using hand held lights.

All in all I think it comes down to a preference. If I had to choose between a headlamp and a hand held light for camping, I would go with the hand held light. As it is, I carry both and use both, but tend to favor the hand held over the headlamp.

Tom

bigfoot

Enlightened
Around the campground a few weeks ago the light I reached for the most was my Arc AAA-P.

Also along was a Surefire E1L (non-Cree), a Petzl Tikka Plus, a couple of Photon Freedom lights, and a GE fluorescent lantern.

The E1L was plenty bright enough -- in fact, too bright for routine campsite stuff. Putting on a beam diffuser did help.

The Tikka Plus was nice for keeping both hands free. What a great tool. The fact that it runs on normal AAA batteries is a bonus.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
To all those who suggested various handheld lights, have you tried a headlamp? If so, I'm curious why you'd recommend a handheld over a headlamp for camping.

As I said in my earlier post I use both but I've found that I dislike a headlight for actual trail walking where I prefer to have the light held at an increased angle from my eyes to enhance the shadows (and my depth perception). Yeah I could take my headlamp off and hold it in my hand but I just prefer a handheld light for that application.

Pax et Lux

Enlightened
My suggestions (which say more about me, than anything else).

Headlamp: Petzl Tikka+ (for task lighting)
EDC: Gerber IU (again, task lighting - and childproof!)
For night hiking: SL PP 4AA Lux (you ain't gonna need any more throw)

The IU is my first choice to lend to my kids (two and four years). The last thing I'd ever lend a child is a Maglite. I never knew Mags had two 'O' rings till I left my oldest with one, unattended, and she decided to see what made it tick. Ahh, she's going to be modding lights before I do!

BlackDecker

Enlightened
The basic question of this thread is what each of us classifies as 'camping'. For some, several bright (but bulky) lights are acceptable as the car is but only a few steps away.

My idea of 'camping' is cutting weight down as much as possible as I will be miles away from my car. Anything above a 2AA sized light is too much weight for me to carry.

And also like said in this thread, the only reason I would be doing a long distance hike at night would be in the event of some emergency. I'm usually setup in camp long before sundown. The lights I need for campside use don't need a lot of throw, they need a lot of spill.

For a typical 5 night 'camping' trip, I would carry: 1) Fenix L2D CE (decent throw), 2) Fenix L0P SE (pocket light), 3) Inova X1 (awesome run time) 4)Zebralight H50 headlamp (hopefully great spill), 5) backup headlamp - currently a Eddie Bauer 1AAA headlamp. I rarely camp in sub freezing temps, so I never carry a CR123-based light.

LK5GB7

Newly Enlightened
My idea of 'camping' is cutting weight down as much as possible as I will be miles away from my car. Anything above a 2AA sized light is too much weight for me to carry.

For a typical 5 night 'camping' trip, I would carry: 1) Fenix L2D CE (decent throw), 2) Fenix L0P SE (pocket light), 3) Inova X1 (awesome run time) 4)Zebralight H50 headlamp (hopefully great spill), 5) backup headlamp - currently a Eddie Bauer 1AAA headlamp. I rarely camp in sub freezing temps, so I never carry a CR123-based light.

not to point out the obvious contradiction here, but if 'anything above a 2aa sized light' is too much weight for you why on earth carry 5? i hope your carrying those for other people!

Last edited:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually go camping for a week at a time and find that I only use my Gerber sonic (aaa). When you're out in the wilderness it's nice to experience the darkness.