Can alcohol damage emitter PCB?

KatherineNies12

Newly Enlightened
I gave my wife an Olight I3E EOS Copper, w/Eneloop inside.
Eneloop died and she put a duracell in it w/o my knowledge.

NOW …. alki leaked inside – blackened & somewhat gaulded the threads.
O ring save the PCB!

Emitter still working but threads gritty, clunky and light flickering due to poor contact.

So I clean the threads with denatured alcohol on swab, polish the tube threads with Sunshine cloth, to removed acid blackening.
Clean again with denatured alcohol.
Pop in an Eneloop …. NADA

Damned shame, light had turned a beautiful patina … now its dead.

Did the alcohol kill my emitter?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Try scuffing inside the barrel with sandpaper rolled up like a drill bit. Perhaps there is a bit of oxidation inside that breaks the circuit.

Unless alcohol ran down into the head portion that shouldn't be the issue.

Also place the light in a window on the sunny side of your home. Perhaps the heat will dry out inside the head if that did happen.

I dry out drowned stuff by sticking the object in a ziplock with uncooked rice then stick that in a window. That has gotten a few items like drowned celphones working again.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I gave my wife an Olight I3E EOS Copper, w/Eneloop inside.
Eneloop died and she put a duracell in it w/o my knowledge.

NOW …. alki leaked inside – blackened & somewhat gaulded the threads.
O ring save the PCB!

Emitter still working but threads gritty, clunky and light flickering due to poor contact.

So I clean the threads with denatured alcohol on swab, polish the tube threads with Sunshine cloth, to removed acid blackening.
Clean again with denatured alcohol.
Pop in an Eneloop …. NADA

Damned shame, light had turned a beautiful patina … now its dead.

Did the alcohol kill my emitter?
Alkaline isn't acidic and alcohol probably won't completely neutralize the alkaline substance it takes a more acidic substance like lemon juice or vinegar. Try and direct connect the battery to the circuit board bypassing the body of the light as alkaline damage tends to be more contact oriented.