Can anybody tell me the limit about Lasers in different countries?

qcgoods2006

Newly Enlightened
As I know, more than 5 mW is NOT LEGAL in the United States.

thank you!

Hua

rohtw

Newly Enlightened
In South Korea, over 1 mW is illegal.
Kids often play with laser pointers, so government restricts to sell and buy over-1mW-powered lasers.

luvlasers

Enlightened
In Australia, anything over 1mW is only legal in N.S.W, Queensland and Northern Territory.

Laws for lasers are in the process of change so there is a lot of uncertainty.

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast
They had a MUCH better laser show at the Voov Festival in Germany
than any I have seen in the USA.
The consensus was that you couldn't do a laser show like that in the USA.

evlspcmk

Newly Enlightened
as far as i was aware there was no restrictions on high powerd lasers in NSW this has been discusd a few times and apparently as long as you are not using it in an illegal manner they are perfectly legal here in NSW ... victoria is the hardass state if you want a high powerd laser there you legally need a reason as to why and it needs to be kept in a gun cabinet as anything over 1mw is considered a weapon

Trunch

Newly Enlightened
I have 175mw on it's way to me at the moment. Package tracking tells me It passed through Aussie customs this morning. I am assuming from that little action it's ok for me to own it here in NSW.

qcgoods2006

Newly Enlightened
Many thanks for your quote, these are very useful for my business.
But do you know the limit about Lasers in Europe?

Best regards
Hua

comozo

Enlightened
qcgoods2006 said:
As I know, more than 5 mW is NOT LEGAL in the United States.

thank you!

Hua

You misunderstood what you've either read or have heard. Laser pointers can not exceed 5mw output.
There is nothing illegal about lasers that output more than 5mw, but those lasers are required by law to incorporate certain safety features. Lasers built by hobbiests are exempt. You can find this info at the FDA website.

Hemlock Mike

Enlightened
I just got my Edmund's Scientific cataloge today --- Surprise -- They are shootin' green - even BLUE for $999 !!!

Those pointers for sale which are over 5 mW have switches, indicators and caps.

Imagine ------ a Leadlight 110 for only $149.00 !!!!

Mike

SirSyko

Newly Enlightened
I bought a 150mw green laser from a uk seller on ebay. It shipped on the 18 with royel mail international signed for. The traking # says it has been passed on to usa but it only tracks it that far. So its been 18 shipping days and I still dont have my laser.

Is this because a 150mw laser is illegel in usa or is it just taking a long time to ship because of christmas?

qcgoods2006

Newly Enlightened
Many thanks for comozo's information, but as I know, In the United states, when the Lasers more than 5 mv, it will be held by customs, and buyer can't receive their Lasers from other countries.

comozo

Enlightened
qcgoods2006 said:
Many thanks for comozo's information, but as I know, In the United states, when the Lasers more than 5 mv, it will be held by customs, and buyer can't receive their Lasers from other countries.

Yes, that is a very real possibility but the reality seems that there are not enough customs inspectors around to inspect every item that comes into this country so nearly all pointers get to their end destination. I've only heard of one incidence where a pointer was maybe delayed by customs.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
My blue DPSS laser pointer was delayed by customs in mid-2005 (I think it was delayed in Anchorage AK), but was allowed to proceed after CNI faxed the appropriate paperwork certifying that it was under 5mW.

qcgoods2006

Newly Enlightened
comozo said:
Yes, that is a very real possibility but the reality seems that there are not enough customs inspectors around to inspect every item that comes into this country so nearly all pointers get to their end destination. I've only heard of one incidence where a pointer was maybe delayed by customs.

Many thanks
Yes, more buyers in United States buy flashlight, batteries, charger form our web site, but we can't sell them Lasers more than 5 mw, because our pruducts have been held by Amercan customs more than one times.
would you please me? are there good idea?
thank you very much!!

nero_design

Enlightened
The UK has a restriction on laser pointers not being able to exceed a Milliwatt or two.

Remember that a pointer is usually a description of any handheld laser. Not a laser module that runs from an AC outlet. The main restrictions for handheld lasers are to reduce accidents. In cases where a laser is seized, Customs will send you a letter telling you why it was seized and that you have a certain number of weeks to show them why you believe it should be released (eg, permit or documents allowing its use)

Europe is going to be complex. I believe Sweden and/or Finland and the UK have stong rules in place to restrict handheld lasers. Not sure what individual countries demand.

qcgoods2006

Newly Enlightened
Many thanks for your help!!
but I don't know the limit about Lasers in France, Germany, Spain yet.
Best regard

Last edited: