Can you read analog measuring devices?

• Venier scale yes; analog clock no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I can neither read analog clock nor vernier scale

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
wow - missed the extra space before the 0 - never seen a caliper like that!! I just read the 2 scales - between 8 and 9, and the .7 = 8.7 (missed the add 1)

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
KC2IXE, actually, most Vernier calipers I know look like this.

I made the same error at first. However, I only make this error when presented with a drawing (like in a written exam I once had to do), not when confronted with a photo or an actual caliper. Must have something to do with the scale and the edge of the caliper looking identical in drawings...

savumaki

Enlightened
PhotonBoy said:
The vernier is easy; try multiplying 4 decimal numbers using a slide rule. :ohgeez:
Nobody misses the slide rule except as a museum piece.

I still prefer analog clocks, but I wear a digital wristwatch since I like its stopwatch function.

No prob. :laughing:; People have phones sticking out of their ear now but I had a slide rule growing out of my wrist when I was in school (please don't ask when)
I own 4 vernier calipers and NONE have a scale set-up like that (awfull big ZERO)

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
elgarak said:
KC2IXE, actually, most Vernier calipers I know look like this.

...snip...

Heh - just checked my no name Verniers, my depth gage (A B&S 600) and my import height gage/scriber - all start at 0 at the jaw line...

I'm glad someone pointed this out to me!

Sigh, I'm still sad Sobel's is out of business - ditto Meridian Machine - particularly when they were here on Long Island. No places to get used machine tools around. One day, I'll buy a Starrett Master Vernier - not to use so much - but to look at

For day to day use, my Mitutyo digital Calipers will work - but, believe it or not, no digital mics (well, one of the old mechanical digitals) - read the verniers there all the time

VWTim

Enlightened
I've been temped to learn how to use a slide rule just because. In all my calc and engineering courses now we just use our TI-89's Although we do have at least one prof a term that makes us test w/o a calculater and only gives simple integrals and derivatives. It's always interesting because there are lots of small calculation and sign errors. :)

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Is anyone else amazed that so many of us can read a vernier scale? I only learned (probably re-learned) how to read a vernier caliper few years ago.

I did not realize till recently that my thimble micrometer can read to .0001 thanks to the vernier markings.

Daniel

drizzle

Enlightened
gadget_lover, I was amazed at first but now I think that most people that didn't know how never even looked at the thread. :shrug:

yuandrew, that is a hilarious clock. I had to stare at it for a while to get it all.

Handlobraesing, my favorite quote from that article was
The fastest code is code that doesn't run.
That should be the Windows motto. :)

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Handlobraesing,

Are you going to step in to resolve the question of whether this measuring device is reading 8.7 mm or 9.7 mm?

It seems obvious to me that it is 9.7 mm, but perhaps I am wrong. Can we have the definitely answer and explanation, please? Either 8.7 mm is correct, OR 9.7 mm, not both. One set of people is wrong and the other is right.

Let's have the answer now, please.

savumaki

Enlightened
The scale reads 8.7 but that doesn't explain where the scale starts; I can feel a definite tug on my leg :laughing:

Julian Holtz

Enlightened
It is definitely 9.7. It does not matter where the edge on the right side lines up with the scale; it matters where the zero lines up with the scale. And it lines up between 9 and 10, therefore 9.7mm.

vernierus4.png

Cheers,

Julez <--- toolmaker

Last edited:

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Julian's right.

Oh yeah, can anyone post a pic of a decent vernier mic with a 0 that starts at the jaw's surface? I have four, just bought a nice Japanese decimal finally, and all of them are like the picture. I've never even seen one that starts at the jaw.

savumaki

Enlightened
:oops: My bad; you are onviously correct. It's funny how it works OK when you're using it but a picture of same :thinking:.

Julian Holtz said:
It is definitely 9.7. It does not matter where the edge on the right side lines up with the scale; it matters where the zero lines up with the scale. And it lines up between 9 and 10, therefore 9.7mm.

vernierus4.png

Cheers,

Julez <--- toolmaker