Canadian Eneloop sources

Mike G

Newly Enlightened
I'd like to see Carbon Zinc versus Lithium for say AA sized batteries.
If you go on that website, you can pick any two to compare. The guy has a pretty big catalogue of tested cells. If you're talking about the semi-recent USB-rechargeable 1.5v lithium cells, he's tested a few of those. Easy to find if you pull up the test index and ctrl + F for mWh (check the individual report to be sure, some other chemistries also list mWh instead of mAh). The 1.5v lithiums have a buck converter so the voltage is completely flat until they clock empty. That also means there's less internal space for the core of the cell, so they end up holding about as much energy as NiMH, and run shorter but at full voltage the whole time. An interesting idea, but I suspect the build quality on these of being suspect.

The ones I refer to are AA NiMH, 2-packs, didn't catch the price, probably $3.50-$4.00 per
pack. Not sure this affects you, some sort of Ont. gov't "environmental" charge is being tacked on to LED bulbs and batteries etc. at these stores (and Dollar Tree), amounts to an additional tax.

Dave
I'm quite a ways away from you, so we haven't got that here. But that's total insanity! Do they want people to go back to incandescents and CFLs or something!? In what universe is taxing the most sustainable option at all helpful? If anything they should make like Dubai and mandate increasingly more efficient and longer-lasting bulbs... and batteries, while we're at it.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm quite a ways away from you, so we haven't got that here. But that's total insanity! Do they want people to go back to incandescents and CFLs or something!? In what universe is taxing the most sustainable option at all helpful? If anything they should make like Dubai and mandate increasingly more efficient and longer-lasting bulbs... and batteries, while we're at it.
I agree, "taxing" LED bulbs and rechargeable batteries both of which save energy and waste, is regressive; but that's wandering into politics. I don't know where the money goes, as there is no provision to recycle LED bulbs here.

The 2-pack is $5 plus $0.23 "environmental" charge plus 13% tax so close to $6 which is not a hot deal for low capacity.

Dave

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well they must have Lithiums in CA as this packaging is for the Canadian market. For some reason a lot of Canadian market items get sold where I live also I have a pretty sweet source for Jap Energizers, N cells for cheap, Belgian Panasonics for cheap, red Duracells, and some other stuff. It is a local pharmacy but it has cheap pricing unlike CVS that has the highest on batteries.

Attachments

• C6F96D73-3C57-4CEF-8E76-7F508004A659.jpeg
    C6F96D73-3C57-4CEF-8E76-7F508004A659.jpeg
    727.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 97E62D96-0B68-43B5-95EA-62E13BD09D8E.jpeg
    97E62D96-0B68-43B5-95EA-62E13BD09D8E.jpeg
    848.7 KB · Views: 41

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well they must have Lithiums in CA as this packaging is for the Canadian market. For some reason a lot of Canadian market items get sold where I live also I have a pretty sweet source for Jap Energizers, N cells for cheap, Belgian Panasonics for cheap, red Duracells, and some other stuff. It is a local pharmacy but it has cheap pricing unlike CVS that has the highest on batteries.
Yes, energizer advanced lithium are available here, in Canada. They are expensive, though about five dollars each.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I agree, "taxing" LED bulbs and rechargeable batteries both of which save energy and waste, is regressive; but that's wandering into politics. I don't know where the money goes, as there is no provision to recycle LED bulbs here.

The 2-pack is $5 plus $0.23 "environmental" charge plus 13% tax so close to $6 which is not a hot deal for low capacity.

Dave
Into the pockets of the corrupt, greedy politicians.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, energizer advanced lithium are available here, in Canada. They are expensive, though about five dollars each.
If you buy them at Shopper's Drug Mart they are about that, in 8-packs. SDM used to have really
great sales on Duracell NiMH but that was 10-15 years ago.

Dave

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is what they have in Costco. But seeing as they're 2500mah, made in China, and good for 500 cycles, doubt they're eneloops
IMG_0364.jpeg
$23.99 not a bad price if ikea LADDA didn't exist

Mike G

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone checked Costco in Canada recently? I have not been a member for some time.

Dave
Good chickens, not so good batteries. I think I might've seen vicv's pack, but as mentioned, they ain't Duraloops. They're mostly a good source for Duracell alkalines, in the form of those giant Kirkland packs.

The cafeteria also stopped selling the chicken wings a little while ago, which in my opinion should be a federal offence...

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good chickens, not so good batteries. I think I might've seen vicv's pack, but as mentioned, they ain't Duraloops. They're mostly a good source for Duracell alkalines, in the form of those giant Kirkland packs.

The cafeteria also stopped selling the chicken wings a little while ago, which in my opinion should be a federal offence...
I always get the chicken fingers and fries. I eat all the chicken fingers, and then I bring the fries home for my kids. They seem to like this arrangement and I don't have to eat too much.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is what they have in Costco. But seeing as they're 2500mah, made in China, and good for 500 cycles, doubt they're eneloopsView attachment 54139 $23.99 not a bad price if ikea LADDA didn't exist
The problem with Costco is how they bundle stuff that you don't often need or want but overall it's at a good price so many end up buying it. Look at the bundled charger, and AAA's which is fine if you need them, but if you wanted all AA's you are out of luck.

Wondering how good is the charger, looks like a paired-cell type.

I've heard a number of times about people going in for Just a "few" items and emerging with $200-$300 worth of goods.

Supermarkets and pharmacies are usually the most expensive sources of OTC cells. I will continue to look.

Dave

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned PC Rechargeable AA/AAA cells (President's Choice) which were sold by (and may still be) Loblaws/Superstore, and possibly Your Independent Grocer (all Loblaws controlled). I can have a look in near future.

Mine are 2000mAh, white with blue marking, made in Japan, which sounds like rebranded Eneloops.

Dave

Mike G

Newly Enlightened
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned PC Rechargeable AA/AAA cells (President's Choice) which were sold by (and may still be) Loblaws/Superstore, and possibly Your Independent Grocer (all Loblaws controlled). I can have a look in near future.

Mine are 2000mAh, white with blue marking, made in Japan, which sounds like rebranded Eneloops.

Dave
Don't reckon I've ever seen 'em. Not at Shopper's, anyways - it's been a long time since I've been to a Superstore. There's one not too far from where I'm going tomorrow, so maybe I should have a look, too. I have seen PC alkalines... wonder who the OEM for those is?

Saw some Enerloops (Energizer) at Rona the other day, 4xAA 2300 mAh $24, 4xAAA 800maAh $22, both made in Japan. No idea what generation they'd be, that pricing suggests a more recent gen but could just as easily be the same as Laddas, just marked up. Not a good deal unless the AA are Eneloop Pros inside, which I doubt.

In a perfect world, Panasonic would stipulate that re-wraps indicate the cycle rating or even the actual generation of the cell outright, so that we know what we're getting.

Last edited:

ghostguy6

Enlightened
To the OP, I imagine the cost differential between the US and Canada is because you get *free* healthcare.

IE... nothing is free.
The cost difference is shipping outside the US is very expensive, then add dangerous good fee's on top of that so lots of added fee's by the shipping company. Then there are tariffs by both US and Canada so more fees. Then there is general taxes. Believe it or not but it is actually much cheaper to have the exact same item sent all the way from China to Canada than it is to bring in that item from the US. And we are supposed to have a free trade agreement with US:rolleyes:
Has anyone checked Costco in Canada recently? I have not been a member for some time.

Dave
My local Costco only has Duraleaks, Duraleak Red and the Costco brand cells. No rechargeable's last time I looked.
Lots of people on this forum said they found Energizer Lithium's at Canadian Costco's but we never had any in our area.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Today my boss treated me very well and took me to Sams Club. I only wanted some Lithium AAs because they are the lowest price locally. However they had advertised as made in USA CR123s, cheap USA D cells of a brand I don't know and more Japanese rebadged Eneloops. I didn't intend to spend so much but I only get a yearly trip. All this cost as much as a premium flashlight from Streamlight or Surefire though.

Attachments

• 73C593DA-EC24-4B74-A662-0D79C4B44932.jpeg
    73C593DA-EC24-4B74-A662-0D79C4B44932.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 36

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Today my boss treated me very well and took me to Sams Club. I only wanted some Lithium AAs because they are the lowest price locally. However they had advertised as made in USA CR123s, cheap USA D cells of a brand I don't know and more Japanese rebadged Eneloops. I didn't intend to spend so much but I only get a yearly trip. All this cost as much as a premium flashlight from Streamlight or Surefire though.
Hey, is your boss hiring? This cheap hobby has gotten expensive lately.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Confirming no sign of PC rechargeable NiMH at SDM as already reported. A bit OT, has anyone seen the prices on Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA and AAA at Shopper's? AA 8-pack for $40, AAA 8-pack $50, plus tax!

I may be able to check Superstore soon, but trying to minimize Christmas store crowds.

Dave