Can't Live Without Household Items??

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm trying to get ideas on what kind of stuff to register for with this wedding deal. I mean, we're both a little bit older, both have a ton of stuff from our families, but we've never stocked a house before so I don't want to miss anything. I'm looking for ideas and suggestions of that stuff that you don't think about all the time but you can't do without, and I figure some of ya'll with more experience in this whole home-ownership thing would be able to give me some suggestions.

We're registered at Target and Bed,Bath&Beyond. Thoughts??? Suggestions?? Anything at all??

Thanks in advance :)

Coop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tilburg, the Netherlands (perfectly reachable by U
A waterheater and a big *** supply of rahmen noodles.... Oh wait, missed the married part :laughing:

Basic kitchen appliances, like a microwave, dishwasher, HID light, refrigerator, stove, flamethrower and a blender come to mind.

Also highly reccomend to abuse the situation to its furthest extent to get cool toys for yourself. You can have it go a long way if you use the emergency preparedness excuse. Ofcourse you will have to get a portable heater and boring but obviously useful stuff first, but after that, you're home free to a whole range of cool toys. Just be sure to have enough basic household appliances on the list to mask your new playthings :)

scott.cr

Flashlight Enthusiast
A good vacuum cleaner. If your house has all hardwood floors, one of those little cordless jobs is real nice to pickup the odd crumbs and hair that you don't see with carpet.

turbodog

Flashaholic
A thing called a spinscrub. It's a battery powered cleaned for tubs/sinks/etc. They are great. I could not have cleaned our 5'x6'x8' tile shower without it.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
One gift I remember was the little cordless vac for small jobs. Of all the gifts we received on that day, this ironically was one of the most memorable and useful ones. ;)

WNG

Enlightened
A great vacuum cleaner...preferably cannister style...also a shop vac.
toaster oven.
microwave oven.
dishes, flatware, glasses.
a good aluminum folding ladder, and one that can reach the roof.
quality garden hose and/or pressure washer.
snow blower if applicable.
lawn mower.
quality handtools and cordless toolset.
Home Depot/Lowes giftcard would cover a lot of things.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember these are to be wedding presents -- without going overboard on high end stuff, these are things couples can register for that they would not normally buy for themselves.

With that in mind:
- a good blender
- a good stand mixer (basically the one and only KitchenAid)
- dishes, flatware, and stemware that you'd use for "when company comes."
- good cutlery and cookbooks.
- a good vacuum cleaner (although that can be big bucks).
- good linens (tablecloth, towels, sheets, etc.)

BTW, has anyone ever used a fondue set more than once? Same thing for a cheeseboard.

Ideally a couple asks for stuff they will actually use and when they do, will have nice thoughts about the people who gave it to them. Skip the toaster, can opener, daily dishes/silverware. Most couples get that stuff for themselves or already have it. The thing to do is to look for things you'd like but wouldn't get for yourself and like I said before, to still keep the prices reasonable. That's what registering for gifts is about.

And, hey, Best Wishes and Congratulations!

leduk

Enlightened
Got married recently. We have most stuff. There are charity wedding lists where your friends family purchase donations. They get a card to send to you indicating the gift. i.e. Training a teacher. Building a toilet. Providing clean water for a villiage. There are others that give a cut of the donations to charity and store the rest in a pot for you to use to purchase a "honeymoon" or the like.

Having said that. After we got back we bought a food dehydrator. Making our own locally bought organic beef jerky, home grown dried tomatos, fruit leathers and apple rings etc etc. "l'equip 528".

If not that your own breadmaker. Don't make loaves though. Just use it to kneed the dough and make rolls/buns far quicker and less waste.

Cheers

paulr

Flashaholic
A handtruck, the serious warehouse type with inflatable tires, about 50 bucks, not a silly flimsy one. They're great for schlepping furniture around. I also just used mine to bring back 30 liters of bottled water from the supermarket (5 blocks away) which otherwise would have required a car trip (a big hassle in the city).

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gift certificate at Home Depot or some other such home improvement store. If you don't have some decent basic tools, and maybe a ladder already, trust me, you'll need them. It might also come in handy to be able to get nails, screws, wood, paint, etc. Don't forget lawn and garden tools come in really handy and it might be nice to plant some flowers next spring and a mower for the grass.

Nope, it aint glam stuff but you'll need it all and it isn't cheap.

Omega Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Toaster oven, modern vacuum cleaner, packs of CFL bulbs, decent clock radio/alarm, door alarm/motion sensor, nice desk chair, bed pillows to your taste (firm,soft,down,etc.) , down comforter and duvee, +1 to CSJ's well stocked First Aid Kit, bookshelves, a good tea/coffee mug.

RebelRAM

Enlightened
My wife and I are coming up on our 5 year anniversary.... we got a lot of wedding gifts, some of which we still haven't taken out of the boxes. I forget what all we got. One thing I do know, we got more glass bowls than we know what to do with! My wife took a few things back early on, but after that we just decided to keep the rest of the stuff as backups for when we break things. I think we ended up with 2 or 3 toasters and can openers. Ah well, we'll need the spares someday.

One thing I wish we would have gotten more of and that's gift certificates to Home Depot and Lowes. I find that being a home owner, I spend a good chunk of my paycheck there anyways just to keep things around the house running properly and also do to the various upgrades to the house that the wife wants.

alvin70

Newly Enlightened
Don't forget a tool box with complete set of tools, i know its a bit out of the scope but you'll never know when you need it, IMHO.

alvin :)

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geez, folks, am I wrong or isn't this about what items to put on a wedding registery?

If it's stuff they'll need for a household, then a toolbox and first aid kit are needed, and why didn't anyone mention a fire extinguisher? Housewarming gifts and just plain stuff for the couple need to stock a house with are one thing, and really necessary, but hardware as a wedding gift won't get you invited over for dinner anytime soon. Wait for the housewarming party.

Kinda like the same reason the first anniversary presents the husband gets for his wife probably shouldn't include a bowling ball, cigars, an ironing board, or leg shackles (although I have a few friends who... nope, never mind). Now jack stands, maybe, but only if they're for the bedroom and match the drapes. Waddaya mean she doesn't keep her Harley inside the house?!?

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good tips, everybody :) It's rather complete, I'd say, and there are a few things that I didn't think of putting on there that neither of us have.. thanks!!

Now, off to the store..

MoonRise

Enlightened
Big-box home improvement gift cards. HomeDepot, Lowes, etc. Pretty much everytime you go there, you can spend $100 before you realize it.

The KitchenAid stand mixer is a nice gift and appliance IF either of you cooks or could/would use a mixer. If you don't cook or would/could use it, then it just takes up a big chunk of space. If you do think you could/would use it, you can also put all the accessories that go -with- the mixer on your registry list(s). Like the cover, extra bowls, the food grinder, sausage stuffer, grain mill, etc, etc.

I second the decent hand truck with pneumatic (or semi-pneumatic) tires idea. It really does make life easier to use the wheels to roll things around than to have to lift-n-carry. Big boxes? Hand truck. Landscapes trees? Hand truck. Large rock? Hand truck.

If you like food/cooking, then things like the KitchenAid stand mixer (~$200+) or a good blender (~$100-$200) or a good food processor(~$200) would be nice. As well as good cookware. Well, even if you aren't a food nut good cookware is nice. As well as good cutlery, aka kitchen knives.

Some medium-sized decent capacity fire extinguishers, like 5 pound (fill) 3A-40BC class units. Those run ~$50 each. Putting a few in the house could run you $200+ easily, so that's a decent chunk 'o change but not overboard as a wedding gift per each extinguisher. The little 1A-10BC units are only ~$20.

Decent hand tools and some simple power tools (like a variable speed reversible drill, maybe cordless) as well, unless you really aren't handy or already have them. In which case you should find a handyman quickly.

Wet-dry vac aka shop-vac. But I would recommend a Craftsman 16 gallon detachable-blower wet-dry unit (~$100) over a Shop-Vac brand.

Oh, congratulations.

Latest posts