Cavers - "White LED's Suck..."

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
jashhash said:
David and Joe... Please cool it and keep this thread civil. If you wana do some b*tching then use the PM feature.

The prob with that OSRAM LED is the DIE size is much too big for focusing a beam. I think our best alternative right now is to use a tri lux with red, blue, and green Luxeon III's.

If you want to do some serious cave exploring then you may have to invest in GPS reciever (or borrow one). The cheapest units cost around $50. You can find the GPS coordinates of uncharted caves in your location by doing some research online. Might I suggest going to www.Geocaching.com. Often people will hide cache containers in, or around the entrance of caves. Doing a caves search reveals 515 results when putting in the word "cave" into the key word search feature. Using this I have recieved information of multiple caves (including the origional bat cave from batman) within 50 miles of where I live...

THANKS HEAPS, got a gps, and never even occured to me to search the geocaches for caves , your weird :)

prolight makes a 3w rgb, it can have optics put on it, and i pulled off a rgb flashlight, mostly to prove that i can be done, and get mosly white from it.
prolight is one of the sponcers here, and they finally have a 6 wire emitter. hope that i am not the only one they made it for.

hank_moon

Newly Enlightened
You can find the GPS coordinates of uncharted caves in your location by doing some research online. Might I suggest going to www.Geocaching.com

The best info on caves is gleaned from cavers. Despite being made of rock, caves contain very fragile geological features and ecosystems that can be destroyed forever by careless visitors. Check out www.caves.org if you want to learn more about caves and caving in the U.S. Please inform yourself before visiting any cave and take care to avoid damaging this delicate and finite resource.

TNBPLNBFKNBT

Beaker

Newly Enlightened
Ditto on the caves.org recommendation.

Exploring caves is great fun, *but* can be very hazardous to both you and to the cave if you don't know what you are doing!

If you are in the USA, definitely go to caves.org and see if there is a local caving club (aka "grotto") -- that's by far your best way to learn the prudent and safe techniques.

jashhash

Enlightened
I want to go caving sometime myself but I still dont have enough money to invest in a GPS reciever. Another good reason for getting GPS locations from geocaching.com is that you know somone has already explored that particular cave (guinie pig). Maybe this christmass time I might happen on some extra cash... I dunno... As far as damaging ecosystems, try to walk softly and dont take home any souveniers such as stalagmites you find in caves.

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Cavers - "White LEDs Suck..."

jashhash said:
I assume the amber luxeon was not purely a monochromatic source of light. The Amber luxeon probably covered a good array of wave lengths from 525 - 675 nm.

Of course you are right. And I have to state that it is just one person doing it, not really statistically relevant.
But the result was that it worked better than expected. Maybe colour vision is not that important.

The prob with that OSRAM LED is the DIE size is much too big for focusing a beam.

I, for example, do not need any focusing for a caving light (we talk about caving lights, do we?).

jashhash

Enlightened
I took a look at caves.com. While there is some usefull statistical info and it is a good resource for finding caving gear, I just cant find any usefull information on caves in my area.

Beaker

Newly Enlightened
jashhash said:
I took a look at caves.com. While there is some usefull statistical info and it is a good resource for finding caving gear, I just cant find any usefull information on caves in my area.

Yep, and you won't find any such information there -- the National Speleological Society has a strong culture of never, ever, ever publishing cave locations in public forums. We feel it's far better to pass this information along person-to-person... it's not that we want to prevent folks from seeing the cave, it's that we think it's safer for caves and cavers this way.

For those of you who have no interest in an existing caving organization, may i respectfully suggest that, at a minimum, you read the "Guide to Responsible Caving":

http://www.caves.org/brochure/grc.pdf

which provides a lot of good information about how to keep yourself safe!

Latest posts