Chicken soup for the geeky/nerdy soul

Lightmeup

Enlightened
TigerhawkT3 said:
There's action, drama, deep philosophical issues, and some amazingly funny parts. For example, in episode 1-11, "Haven," there's this dinner party between Troi's mother and Troi's future in-laws. They start arguing, and Troi leaves angrily, denouncing their "petty bickering." When she's gone, Data says, "Could you please continue the petty bickering? It's most intriguing." I laughed so hard I had to pause the DVD before I missed the next bit of the episode.
Yeah, Data could cut some hilarious one-liners. So could Worf. Remember the one where he growls at the hot chick in 10-Forward? I almost fell out of my chair. And Ensign Ro: Hotter than a firecracker on the 4th of July. I thought TNG was great, even if it did have that dweeb Wesley Crusher. The last couple of years of DS9 were the best though. It went from so-so to great. Never liked Voyager that much. Janeway and the holo-Doc ruined too many episodes.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Star Trek update here.

In a moment of weakness, I ordered all three season of ST: TOS. Barnes & Noble had the best price, and they take PayPal.

Why did I do this, you ask? I think it's because, while watching the special features in the ST: TNG DVD sets, there was a tiny clip of TOS, and I immediately decided that I had to have it. Captain Kirk, Spock, funny little background bleeps, and cheesy special effects. Mmmm... good soup.

Speaking of TNG's special features, they're actually really awesome. There are interviews with the cast and crew covering everything from the episodes to set design. I was surprised to find that the actor I least liked as himself was Brent Spiner ("Data"). He's always saying what he didn't like about the show, but he doesn't really have anything positive to say. He mentions how he signed on for the first season for money, how he didn't think it would last into a second season, how he hated getting into his (admittedly irritating) makeup every day... Everyone else talks about funny things that happened to them, or the first day that Majel Barrett-Roddenberry ("Lwaxana") came on set, or sitting down in the cottage with the wife and some tea, toast, marmalade, and Star Trek (that was Patrick Stewart, by the way).

Bottom line: the special features on the ST: TNG DVDs are as enjoyable as the episodes themselves.

carbine15

Flashlight Enthusiast
his makeup was pretty stupid. They could have made up the excuse that he fixed the pigment so he wouldnt have to look all shiny.