CHINA & FAR EAST MARKETS

Status
Not open for further replies.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow talk about going off topic - that's what The Cafe is for..

Anyway - back to the original topic on hand.

Having been to markets in China - it's not unlike going to "Trader's World" Flea Market just down Interstate 75 from Touchdown Jesus (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_of_Kings_(statue)).

In a word - Junk - you wouldn't buy any of it. Stick to dealers on this forum & take a look at the cheers & jeers section. If the price is too good to be true....

fareast

Enlightened
I tread carefully...

A few numbers:
1) The U.S. is paying $1.2 billion each month on interest alone on the debt to China.
2) China is holding $776 billion in U.S. Treasury Securities.
3) The Obama Administration is borrowing $5 billion each day just to keep the US economy afloat.

http://www.seraphicpress.com/archives/2009/08/us_borrowing_5.php
http://www.wired.com/beyond_the_beyond/2008/07/were-borrowing/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_public_debt

mightysparrow has made a very good point (post #17).

And I think everyone should decide for themselves what to purchase. And, as advised, check out the CPFMP for some good dealers.

If I look at my lights, they are from the UK, Hong Kong and the USA and I like every single one of them! Not because they are from the afore-mentioned countries but because of each lights' features :D.

Niconical

Enlightened
In this discussion, and others like it, the common themes are often that too much low quality/cheap goods are sold in the USA, thus making it hard if not impossible for USA factories to sell their goods, and also that foreigners took the manufacturing and jobs to their own country, making US workers unemployed.

This is true of course, but where I think it goes wrong is that it then gets angled towards blaming the foreign elements for all this. If a US factory is making product X and selling it just fine in the USA, then a foreign company comes along, offers to sell it for half the price, putting the workers in that USA factory on the unemployment line, then that's bad for the US workers but it's not the fault of the foreign company, it's the fault of the millions of Americans who bought the foreign made items for a quick saving (which they'll most likely pay for anyway when they need to replace item X again, and again....).

Americans seem to see foreign made items on the shelves and blame the country they came from for somehow infiltrating the US economy and destroying US industry. The reason there are so many cheap imports on American shelves is because Americans keep buying them.

The same applies on a larger scale. No foreign company has "stolen" US jobs. There were not elite squads of foreign factory foremen sneaking in at night, dismantling factories and shipping them off overseas. US jobs and factories that used to be in the USA were not taken, they were sold, or given away, or moved to make things cheaper for Americans, by Americans.

I've often thought on this forum that it is an admirable quality that so many US members specifically want to support their own economy. That attitude is very impressive and quite rare in many other countries. However, I have to assume that you are in an unfortunate minority because someone in the USA is buying the imports, and they're buying a lot of them.

I think the guts of what I'm saying is this. If you want to blame someone for anything along these lines, USA manufacturing, foreign imports etc, don't blame the country they came from or the people that live there, blame the collective millions of Americans waiting right now at the checkout to hand over their USD for the latest shiny thing that they probably don't need anyway.

scottshad

Newly Enlightened
I am so glad to see that so many of you took interest in this, but I would begin to think that the mods made be upset with all us for this type of conversation here.

I really do thank all of you....It make me feel real good that so many of you really care!

bkumanski

Enlightened
I disagree with you 100%. You seem to believe that stereotypes are valid, when applied to a segment of the population one is commenting about. That is false. By definition, a stereotype is inaccurate. Stereotypes are generalizations about a group that are applied to individuals in that group-- regardless of the true characteristics of those individuals.

In the example you gave about avoiding the group in the alley in Russia, you are stereotyping individuals. You might feel that you are justified in doing so to reduce your risk of physical injury, but the stereotype itself is without merit - it is not accurate.

There is another point to be made here. You can take any population and say that generalizations about one or more characteristics are true for a certain segment of that population. That is misleading. Think of all of the stereotypes we encouter relating to people of certain minority racial and religious groups. Certainly there are a few people who fit those characteristics in each group. However, the stereotypes are still inaccurate. They are not true for most of the individuals in those groups. Moreover, the same characteristics are also found in the majority group that is NOT stereotyped. So, one must ask oneself, when using a stereotype, "why am I applying a stereotype to this group in the first place that I do not apply to my own group?" The answer is prejudice-- we tend to stereotype people we think of as "the other," or not like us to begin with, thereby reinforcing our pre-existing prejudices with regard to those people, regardless of their individual characteristics.

No, I do agree with you, please don't misunderstand me. I'm just saying (staying on topic;)) that a "stereotype" would be all chinese lights are junk. Now while a huge portion are (where the stereotype came from) many are of wonderfull quality. I never meant my comments to suggest there is any validity to a stereotypes accuracy, merely a significant (noticeable) portion of a subgroup (product, culture, or otherwise) has a particular trait and some may make an association based on this. Besides, I dislike everyone equally:rolleyes:. J/K I suppose I am guilty of over analyzing peoples comments and behavior. For that, I apologize.

Back to the lights!

DM51

Flashaholic
Threads about dealers belong in the MarketPlace.
General off-topic threads belong in the Cafe.
Politically controversial threads belong in the Underground.

None of those topics/discussions belong here in LED Flashlights, so this thread is closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.