Flashlight Enthusiast
In no particular order, these are pretty darn good chocolates:

Perugina.
Guylian.
Milka.
Scharffen Berger.
Lindt.
Hachez.

If I want a snack, I might grab a Hershey bar, but if I want CHOCOLATE, I grab one of those. Hershey makes an OK snack, but there's no comparison.

It's kinda like Budweiser vs. Brewery Ommegang Rare Vos, or Mikey D's vs. buffalo burgers, or SoCo vs. Lagavulin. All have their own merits but there's no real comparison 'cause they are so different.

verbie

Enlightened
flashlight said:
I bet a lot of you folks who prefer dark chocolate do it because of the proclaimed health & aphrodisiac qualities. :D But don't forget there's still the high fat, sugar & calorie content. :p I do love chocolate too. :eek:
i like dark chocolate cuz i like the taste better. i've yet to see any health benefits or have any aphrodisia experiences :p

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
I don't know if I've ever had "good chocolate"! Cadburry is alright, Dove is ok, Hershey is alright...not a real dark chocolate fan at all.

Guess I've led a "sheltered chocolate life"! :awman:

verbie

Enlightened
binky: Lake Champlain--the site looks good enough. i may try it, but do you know how much is the shipping? as for the Belgium chocolates, any fine chocolates should be eaten w/in a week. they all should be eaten fresh. fine chocolates will taste like any other chocolates old. next time you're in Paris, try La Maison du Chocolat, it's one of the best. there's a La Maison du Chocolat in new york too. and yes, you should eat it fresh :grin2:

Godiva is bought out by Nestle?? eek! i would try it again to see how it tastes now, but i dont think it's worth wasting $3 for a piece.

as for Dove ice cream. those bars are yummy! and fattening too, like Haagen Daz :grin2:

i would love to try all the great chocolate brands mentioned here, except i would have to buy less lights in order to afford them. hmm....more chocolates or more flashlights....tough choice :sssh: :laughing:

verbie

Enlightened
Sigman said:
I don't know if I've ever had "good chocolate"! Cadburry is alright, Dove is ok, Hershey is alright...not a real dark chocolate fan at all.

Guess I've led a "sheltered chocolate life"! :awman:
Sigman, you should let loose. go wild! splurge on some fine chocolates!! :laughing:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I like Cadbury and Dove dark chocolate. It's a sinful treat for me so I only eat it in moderation.

When I was a child I used to like plain old nestle's milk chocolate. These days I really don't like milk chocolate. It's far too sweet.

GhostReaction

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried the Lindt Dark Chocolate yesterday, one with 70% coco. :green:
how do you guys eat this?
Its so bitter.:sick2:
I ll shall stick to those creamy milk choc.

Seth

Newly Enlightened
GhostReaction said:
Whats your favorite chocolate and how often do you take it?
Any chocohlic here?
COOKIES & CREAM CHOC

I usually go with the Milka, Alpia & Toblerone brands, milk or dark choc depending on my mood :)

Funny to hear about hershey´s chocolate...
Some years ago a friend from the U.S. sent me a bar of Hershey´s.
Man, this was totally awful... Tasted like fine, gritty sand with sugar mixed in... yuck!

I mean... Chocolate is supposed to melt in your mouth... This hershey´s bar was just like " Go to the nearest beach, mix some sugar into the sand, make a bar out of the mix and swallow the result " :sick2:

Seth

Donovan

Enlightened
GhostReaction said:
I tried the Lindt Dark Chocolate yesterday, one with 70% coco. :green:
how do you guys eat this?
Its so bitter.:sick2:
I ll shall stick to those creamy milk choc.
LOL... 70% is pretty strong, especially if your used to milk chocolate!

It is kinda like coffee. You start out light and mild but after a while your drinking Starbucks dark roast!

Last edited:

TorchMan

Enlightened
I'm reporting this thread and demanding it be shut down for Hershey's bashing! No, I'm just kidding about that! :lolsign:

I do like the original Hershey's bar and Kisses quite a bit. They are different, more raw that refined, and I appreciate that. Being raised on it maybe it's an acquired taste, like caviar? Have none of you that dislike Hershey's bars had the Pot Of Gold boxed set? I'd be interested to hear your take on that if you have.

I was a stocker at Needless Markup in my now dearly departed youth, and Epicurian was one of my departments. We ate much Godiva. I like it, but don't see it as being worth the cost. We did keep it in a cooler at 33 degrees F, a nice place to cool down from the summer heat on the loading docks.

Tried more than one kind of caviar as well. Blech! :sick2:

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
chmsam said:
In no particular order, these are pretty darn good chocolates:

Perugina.

Wasn't Perugina bought out by another company? I used to buy Gianduja from them. It was a creamy choc with finely ground Hazelnuts. They don't carry it anymore. :awman:

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's hard to savor something that tastes like sour milk. Just my opinion. I understand that some people love Hershey, just like many people love coffee and I can't stand it.

Greg

Donovan

Enlightened
Hershey's Special dark and extra dark are actually quite tasty for cheap dark chocolate. Better IMHO than Ghirardelli's dark (Yuk!)

Dove also makes great dark chocolate, but its much sweeter than Lindt or other higher end stuff so it may be a good choice for those accustomed to milk chocolate....

greenLED

Flashaholic
JonSidneyB said:
I think the hershey bashers have not sat down to a plain hershy bar lately to savor the chocholate
Oh, yes, I have! Trouble is, Hershey chocolate tastes so horrible I can't get past the first bite.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
the real thing

chocolate-ripe.jpg

coca beans are white, not what people expect.

chocolate-openpods.jpg

regards.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Only the aril (the fleshy outside) is white; it has a nice taste to it. The beans are bitter if you try to bite into them.

Lightraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I spent a little time researching "high end" chocolate, and learned a few interesting things.

I remember Hershey's being called, "barnyard chocolate." European chocolate, sold in Europe like Toblerone was supposedly very sweet compared to Hershey's. Godiva is owned by Campbell Soup company and is made in the United States (North Carolina, I think). Godiva gets poor marks because of its use of artificial vanilla (vanillin) and worse, vegetable oil. It is also considered wildly overpriced.

Hershey's Special Dark was considered popular, even among the snobs, but it contains milk, which technically makes it milk chocolate. I had a bar the other day, and it was fine.

I have been getting A. Slitti (Cafe and artisan chocolate in Tuscany) from Chocosphere.com. I have tried various bars--the Lattenero series (high cocoa content milk chocolate) is the best, for my tastes. The Gran Cacao dark is good for those who want the straight up stuff. I also tried the Coffee flavored chocolate bar--very good.

I just can't eat M&M's or Kisses or anything like that anymore. They are too much sugar and not enough chocolate.