Clicky vs. Twisty - which is really more reliable? + thoughts on new design

frasera

Newly Enlightened
twisting is a chore. something that is a chore will be avoided.

Gordov2

Enlightened
Non-reverse clickies work best for me. This depends, of course, on how the clickie is made. If it is of high quality and not easily turned on accidentally, then we're in business. If it's of low quality, that's an entirely different story.

As someone else mentioned, for the price of the high quality lights we're all buying (read: Surefire), clickies should work perfectly. The two clickies I have for my M3-CB are not as dependable as the twisty. Reason: The clickie tends not to work properly when tightened all the way down. Therefore to fix, I have to exert quite a bit of manual pressure on the clickie spring with my thumb, compressing it for a while so that the spring begins to "take a set" that is less tight. Then it begins to work as intended.

GreySave

Enlightened
Reliability aside......

Personally, I think it is a good idea to have a little of both types of switches. As I learned this week, twisties are a pain to use (literally) when you smash a finger on the favored hand with a 3 pound sledge hammer. Clickies are much easier to use and are easier to use in either hand if the favored hand is disabled.