• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired *Closed* Programmable Incandescent Regulator 1 sales thread

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
cnjl3 said:
Just want to let you know that i received the "goods".
I am not sure if you will be checking in to this thread during your
five weeks or longer off time.
I can see that you fixed one of my PIRs but the other one is
obviously a "new replacement" because it has no mounting holes.
I will try and drill the mounting holes my self.
So as long as i keep to the same areas as the drilled out PIR -
I should be OKAY?
I seem to remember that you told Andrew that your PIR was
five layers thick - so that is why I am asking.
Thanks again- Winny!
popcorn.gif

Hi cnjl3

There should be little pilot holes where you can drill for a KIU socket (etc.) - The one you have pre-drilled is the best guide - I drilled using a 2mm drill first then a 3mm and if necessary open up a bit with a Dremel type thing

Tools that are useful - Tool #4 (from the left) is just right for opening screw holes a tiny amount

AND

Doing any fitting of the PIR in anything and Robban's http://theintarweb.net/PIR1_drill_guide_thingy.pdf is mighty useful

I found it printed out slightly small with my setup so I put the photos into Corel Draw and resized them to 30mm to get pretty perfect alignments made easy -

Thanks Robban

ALSO

Beware the Cammed reflector - The Cam hit my Neg wire and cut it a bit ! so either use a Non-Cammed reflector or you can Dremel out a channel back to the middle a bit to accommodate the Neg wire closer to the middle. Like this . . .

Cheers Pete

Last edited:

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
cnjl3 said:
I can see that you fixed one of my PIRs but the other one is
obviously a "new replacement" because it has no mounting holes.

Crud! I just took a new PCB from the box and didn't have a single thought about them not having holes. My apologies!
petrev is correct. The small holes are the ones we used for centering (or should "aligning" be a better word for it?) the drill. I don't recall how big margins we had but at least a 1 or 2 mm more than the standard hole. Just use common sense and you should be ok. :)

cnjl3 said:
I seem to remember that you told Andrew that your PIR was
five layers thick - so that is why I am asking.

It's actually four but you got it right. You can't see the two middle ones unless you have an x-ray machine or a powerful flashlight. :)

cnjl3

Enlightened
Thank you Winny for the data:) also thank you Petrev for the info regarding the re-routing of the lamp wires(been there-done that) It looks like you are having fun with your new Dremel:) i will be having some fun this weekend - i already had my M*G switches pre wired like Andrew recommends so that you can always have access to the vbat under load and now i just have to connect all the dots.

naughty.gif

cnjl3

Enlightened
Hello! Winny!

Just wanted to let you know that i installed my PIR in a tri-bored M*G 3D host and with the IRC 35 w bulb loaded with 15 IB1400s it has a fantastic beam. I will post some beam shots later on. I still havent had a chance to drill out the other PIR but as soon as i get some time i will tackle that project with equal eagerness. I am so happy with my fine tuned PIR:)

thank you so much.

naughty.gif

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
cnjl3 said:
Hello! Winny!

Just wanted to let you know that i installed my PIR in a tri-bored M*G 3D host and with the IRC 35 w bulb loaded with 15 IB1400s it has a fantastic beam. I will post some beam shots later on. I still havent had a chance to drill out the other PIR but as soon as i get some time i will tackle that project with equal eagerness. I am so happy with my fine tuned PIR:)

thank you so much.

naughty.gif

Hi cnjl3

Posted some beamshots over here
for my 2.5D PIR1 6s17670 IRC35 running at 17.2V (until informed otherwise)

These bulbs are pretty damn fine - waiting to see your shots

Cheers Pete

cnjl3

Enlightened
Hola, Petrev:
wink2.gif

I just kicked the voltage up to 18.9volts on my 35w IRC. I LOVE IT! I will get around to the beam shots later- i just finished drilling the mounting holes on my second PIR and and i hope to wire it and test it tomorrow. I want to be able to compare side by side 18.6v and maybe 19.0v on my IRC bulbs:) I have one question if i insta-flash an IRC will it behave like other bulbs? (no damage i am hoping just the filament blows -right?)

thinking.gif

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
cnjl3 said:
Hola, Petrev:
wink2.gif

I just kicked the voltage up to 18.9volts on my 35w IRC. I LOVE IT! I will get around to the beam shots later- i just finished drilling the mounting holes on my second PIR and and i hope to wire it and test it tomorrow. I want to be able to compare side by side 18.6v and maybe 19.0v on my IRC bulbs:) I have one question if i insta-flash an IRC will it behave like other bulbs? (no damage i am hoping just the filament blows -right?)

thinking.gif

Hi cnjl3

Super Stuff - They really are great bulbs ! ! !

In case you haven't spotted - all my exprimenting is to find out how far we can push Li-Ions so that the possibility of a super mod for the M6XTN using 6x17670+PIR. My test at 17.2V is running them at 2C. NiMh for the same volts is 15-IB1400. The pack you have is just too big but if you made a special pack with an up and down arrangement of cells so no need for the extra PCB at the neg end and just a centre rod as per AWR-M6 packs then you could direct drive (maybe?) the IRC35 in the M6XTN36. The hope is the Li-Ions will take the punishment so we can have the equivalent voltage in a smaller pack with longer (?) runtime - regulated equivalent of 18NiMh. Or you could just go bigger using one of the competitors M6-52mm products but we won't mention that ! Oops

The other problems with running these Super Bulbs is Heat ! The M6 uses a rubber ring to suspend the mirror and I'm wondering how far it can be pushed before it just melts ! ? ! My Mag2.5D tester gets way hot after about 5-7 minutes ! Might all be moot for an M6 mod anyway. Still lots of fun finding out about these bulbs - thanks to winny for mine and introducing them to me way back . . .

Keep up the good work cnjl3
Pete

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
cnjl3,

If you fix your flashlight to something and lock the exposure on your camera as well, you should be able to change drive voltage and take addiional photos for comparison.
The four or five IRC bulbs I have blown behaved just like any other bulb. I think I still have the pictures of it when the fillament melted. We simply keept shooting at 3 or 4 fps and manage to capture the fillament breaking up.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
one of the benefits of IRC lamps.. low pressure compared to typical halogen/xenon fill.. they actually don't need to be enclosed, at least in european standards, so they must be a lot less hazardous.. when one of mine burn out i'll pop one to get an idea of how bad it 'bangs'.

-awr

cnjl3

Enlightened
petrev said:
The other problems with running these Super Bulbs is Heat ! The M6 uses a rubber ring to suspend the mirror and I'm wondering how far it can be pushed before it just melts ! ? ! My Mag2.5D tester gets way hot after about 5-7 minutes ! Might all be moot for an M6 mod anyway. Still lots of fun finding out about these bulbs - thanks to winny for mine and introducing them to me way back . . .

Keep up the good work cnjl3
Pete

IIRC i have seen this question pop up before and some CPF member mentioned that the type of rubber used in these O-rings was special and probably wouldnt melt- I know that i have heated up my M*G bezels to the point that i cant hold them in my hand and the O-rings didn't suffer plus they still look fine. I would imagine that Surefire would also use premium O-rings and plus there is also the fact that Andrews M6HD will ensure that the heat usually generated by the stock battery pack will be converted into extra "lumens" so it sounds like "less" heat to deal with.

Ditto on the big thanks to Winny & Andrew for making all these projects possible.

Can you imagine ever going back to a stock M*G light--NO WAY!

CYL!

Carlos

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Carlos

Agreed - No Way ! Imagine a stock, out of the blister pack, 2D - Mag - Hmmm

The M6 ring I'm worried about is not the O-Ring but the Shock Isolating Ring between the lens and the mirror - if you take off the M6 head and look in the front - press the mirror in and out and you can see the rubber mount deforming as it does its job - trouble is it is right there for the lumens to hit and its also Black ! ! !

Cheers Pete

On the Surefire site the official title is 5. Compressive Recoil-Damping Sleeve

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
hord and Lunarmodule,
Your money have been retuned for the regulators and the USB-kits you guys have ordered. I'm very sorry for the long delay! I got my first paycheck a couple of days ago so I simply didn't have the money until now.

pyro, please see PM!

If I owe anyone else any money at this point, please do tell me.

hord

Newly Enlightened
Cheers Winny, your customer service has been first class! Definatelly put me on the waiting list for either PIR1.B or PIR2!! :grin2:

Harvey

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
hord,

Well, for lending me your money for two months and then getting them back with no interest and say how great is was, I would say you are a first class customer. :naughty: Thanks!

NewBie,

Yes, the downside of not using mechanical switches in order to turn stuff on and off. Greasing it with epoxy and put a warning sign saying "WARNING! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MODIFY, CHANGE, IMPROVE, ADD OR IN ANY WAY MAKE IT FIT YOUR NEEDS AS IT MIGHT CAUSE SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH" is just too American for me, especially considering the experimental nature of this project. So although it would have saved Robban his TV, I leave those decisions to my users. I know Robban is a stand up guy so this should be a good memory for life...

CroMAGnet,

Sure thing!

Robban,

You know you can always come over and watch my TV in case you do the same with a 400 W 6D instead. I could probably lend you a couch as well as your department might have burnt down then... :dedhorse:

ktronik

Enlightened
Too many flashlights not enough PIR's!!! :)

I built mine as a 'remote' a inline regulator w all LED visable...I plan to use it on my stubby M@g11 Bike & a stubby handheld Minimini M85 w remote battery pack...+ maybe a Minimini M@g625 or 623... HHHmmmm 4000lm...

Its easy to program & setup, a joy to use....

I just LOVE it, its so kool watching it ramp up & stuff... My Fav @ the Mo... :grin2:

Many thanks for all your late nights!!

Regards

Ktronik

aosty

Enlightened
Oooh, got pix?

I haven't had time to put my two PIR1s to use yet! :thumbsdow

ktronik said:
Too many flashlights not enough PIR's!!! :)

I built mine as a 'remote' a inline regulator w all LED visable...I plan to use it on my stubby M@g11 Bike & a stubby handheld Minimini M85 w remote battery pack...+ maybe a Minimini M@g625 or 623... HHHmmmm 4000lm...

Its easy to program & setup, a joy to use....

I just LOVE it, its so kool watching it ramp up & stuff... My Fav @ the Mo... :grin2:

Many thanks for all your late nights!!

Regards

Ktronik

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast
ktronic,

I have the same problem myself. Plenty of hosts and NO PIRs at all! :rant:

A regulated bike light? Post pictures, now! :)
You are the first to say it is easy to use and program! Many thanks for that!
I know the feeling about late nights when you really want something to work now. By the time you are done, it's pitch black outside and the darkness is just waiting for you... You are very welcome!