CMG Infinity- the Next Generation

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
or "To Infinity and Beyond"- your choice of thread title!

Well I got my Infinity lights today much sooner than expected- top marks to Triple Aught Design! I got 2 of the original ones (green and teal) and 2 of the "gen-2" ones (green and white). Yes I did actually manage to get the same colour in original and Gen.2. I thought it would be good to post a comparison of the 2 types for the interest of potential future Infinity owners so here goes....

<center>
infinitys.jpg
</center>

Presenting the Infinity Task Lights by CMG Equipment. On the left is the original black painted version, the middle and right are the new generation anodised versions. First observation- the packaging. The original infinity comes in a cardboard box-sleeve-thing whereas the new one comes on a plastic card which in my opinion doesn`t look so good, though others may disagree. The lights themselves are physically the same size, weight and construction, and the back of the little PCBs look the same too. The black anodised versions look very similar to the painted ones but the finish is much tougher and will resist scratches. The new blue one looks really good and has a mettalic look to it- very attractive.

So what do you get then besides the lights?

<center>
infinitysaccessories.jpg
</center>

Well (depending on where you get them), no batteries with either! You provide your own choice of AA cell unless your store has decided to be nice and provide you one with the light. The orignal version comes with a high visibility green lanyard which has a glow in the dark thread woven into it so you can find it when everything suddenly goes dark. The new version has a slightly longer black lanyard which still has the glow in the dark thread, but it is finished a little better with a plastic "toggle" instead of just a knot. It`s also a little thinner and a bit stretchy too. You also get a black anodised spring-steel clip that is a little tricky to attach, and it feels like you`re scratching that coating off when you clip it on, but don`t worry- you won`t. And once on it stays on and clips firmly to pockets, etc, so you`re not going to lose your light very easilly.

infinitysgreenoldandnewbeams.jpg
Now, to some, the important bit- are they any brighter? Well not really. OK a bit, but only a teeny bit. This beam photo shows the original on the right and the gen.2 on the left, you can sort of make out the brighter beam of the gen.2. Comparing my 2 green ones the gen.2 seems to be a touch brighter but the beam is a degree or 2 wider as well. Its colour is ever so slightly whiter or less yellow than the original too, but it`s hardly noticeable and doesn`t really show in this picture (you can sort of see it though?)- also remember that often LED colours don`t render properly with CCD cameras. It looks like they are using a slightly better rank LED but the same inverter/stepup circuit. Your AA cell will probably still last the 41 hours that it did in the originals.

So are they better then? I would say yes they are. The extra cost gets you more accessories and a finish that will last as long as the light does, plus the LED colour may be more consistent and even. The new body colours look great too though I havn`t seen the smoke one yet, and also can`t say whether or not the lighter mettalic colours make the "reflector" area more effective or not. If it does then it would be only a few percent brighter because of it I would guess.
I like these lights alot, though they still aren`t Photons. But, if you want a CMG light that is that bright, get their new "04"- very nice light indeed, but that`s another thread.

grin.gif
shocked.gif
rolleyes.gif
tongue.gif

Thanks for the pic`s Chris. I like the looks of the blue one best. Infinity`s might not be the brightest, but there`s something about 40 plus hours of light from one AA you just gotta love. Like Guy, I`m setting my sights on an E-2 next (with a Brad-Blaster convert) but it might take a week or two (wallet). I have one of the Bison LED`s on order (I hope it comes tomorrow) as well as a Photon III.
tongue.gif

Thanks for the review Chris. I like the looks of that new blue one. I might have to get one of those.
smile.gif

Any time guys! Glad to be of use round here (Craig- if all those reviews ever get too much to cope with.....
wink.gif
grin.gif
tongue.gif
).

I have re-taken the beam comparison picture now it is night and there`s no ambient light in here. I hope you can kind of make out the slightly brighter beam of the gen.2? Just out of curiosity, even though they are brand new batteries I swapped them round between the 2 greens and it made no difference.

I want an e2 nowas well and will try Brad`s LED idea too when I finally get one. Can`t wait
shocked.gif
smile.gif

Thanks for the pics and analysis, Chris. Looks like they're on the right track with their improvements, but of course we could suggest others. I'm afraid that "Brad blaster" has really caught my attention. I think I'll be turning my gaze to an E1 or E2 next. It seems as if a good reflector can really make the light. Only one problem - money.

I saw a new Infinity display at Eastern Mountain Sports. They had the new Infinity as well as the key chain lights.
I gave in and bought a new white light, and in comparing it to the original: the 2nd generation light is listed as waterproof to 10 feet.
Further, I've always been bothered by the solder pad on the circuit board that contacts the anode of the battery.
Since there is no spring, the pressure on it is unregulated, and the battery slowly wears away the solder which is very thin.
The new Infinity has a black resinous coating on top of the solder. It doesn't look conductive, but it is. I'm wondering what this is, and whether I can apply it to my Gen 1 lights to keep the solder from wearing out.

I had intermittent problems with my Infinity, where it wouldn't turn on, or come on with reduced brightness unless I rotated the switch back and forth, as if to wipe the contacts. I couldn't see any problems at the battery or the threading, where the connection is made, so I measured the PCB for continuity to the case. Turns out the intermittent is from the casing to the outer edge of the PCB, which is used for the power return. Since it appeared that the outer edge of the head has a lip, and the PCB appears uncoated and conductive, I made a circlip out of a small paperclip, and put it against the outer ring.
This restored full continuity, and it's consistently bright now- There's still the Infinity characteristic of a variable brightness dependent on how much it's screwed in, unlike the Arc AAA, which is on or off, with no soft transition zone, but it's fully predictable now-
Much better-

fdcd08a4.jpg