Coffee Thermos - Poured Epoxy Base

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
20+ Year computer programmer, my daily coffee thermos is my life blood.

I have a couple Thermos brand "Commuter" stainless coffee mugs. (they use to call it the Backpacker). Great mug except the fragile plastic base cracks and falls apart.

So, today's experiment/mod is a new solid epoxy base (with a few drops of black acrylic paint) using 2-part JB Weld brand epoxy.

It's upside down, taped to a 2x3 that I have chucked in the vise...

zFaW1wVb.jpg

Will post the results, as awesome or horrific as they may be. I'm fully expecting some Dremel work to shape it up.

Attachments

• zFaW1wV.jpg
    zFaW1wV.jpg
    474.4 KB · Views: 71

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
It resembles one I have, with a flip-top to drink from. I love mine, but yeah, they don't withstand hard knocks, especially parts of the flip top. Hard to clean thoroughly, and mold forms around the seals if you don't clean it regularly. I see they have an updated version, $25.

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Worked pretty well. It's rock solid and tough.

I hit the edges with a little sandpaper to square it up.
A little rough if you look real close, but otherwise you can't tell that the original
bottom was completely removed and the base is now a disk of epoxy.
This mug is good for another 20 years.

xil8zzj.jpg

PrxP4Ka.jpg

@louie This is top HqLCfLc.jpg

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's the one. Nice job keeping it going. My base is cracked, but serviceable. A second one also has a cracked but seviceable base, except another drop broke the top off. I hear you can buy replacement tops, but it may not be worth it. I may try the new design.

Otherwise, they are excellent, and they fit in my previous car's cup holders.

3_gun

Enlightened
Glad to see I'm not to only one who would rather repair a tested & true daily use item rather than toss it for a "new" like item. I still use a glass lined Thermos that was my Granddads the only update was a shot of expanding foam to improve temperature control & help protect the bottle. Worked better than my buddies Yeti hot or cold our last road trip