Collimating Laser Lens with Luxeon

Zinje

Newly Enlightened
Hi All!

I was wondering if it was possible to make a collimating Lens focused enough that it will make a beam like a laser pen using a 1watt luxeon? I am looking for the beam to be 3/4 or 1 inch in diameter. I am doing this for a project that i am working on.

Any ideas?

Thanks

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
I don't think it's possible. I am a little shaky about the underlying physics, but I do remember one of the key advantages of laser is its focusibility.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
an acrylic ball will make a tight beam (though not as tight as a laser). you can get them from dat2zips sandwhich shop.

may i ask what you are working on? (i'm nosey
grin.gif
)

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
Not without violating some basic laws of physics like the one that says BeamWidth is related to focusing system aperture, focal lenght and source size or why precision radars and telescopes are huge..

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Laser light is not simply highly focused light.

"The light released is coherent. It is "organized" -- each photon moves in step with the others. This means that all of the photons have wave fronts that launch in unison."

To learn more, go to How Suff Works - Lasers.

lessing

Newly Enlightened
Well, with the correct set of optics, most anything is possible. You could get a 1 watt ls to form a laser like beam, though the loss would be increadible. To do this is simple in concept, but troublesome to build. First off, the smaller the beam, the smaller the source has to be. Simplest way would be to put a pin hole aperature in front of the ls. Now that you have a 1mm source and have lost 95-99% of the total luminous output, simply use a thick plano convex with the round side toward the aperature to get the light to come to a point focus and place two more plano convex after. 1 to paralell out the light at the correct diameter and the second is optional to tighten up the focus. The second lens, if slidable, would allow you to set the convergance to a given distance to keep the spot as tight as possible.

This is the system High End Systems used in thier laser emulator. It was a light for clubs that wanted the look of lasers without the hassle of permits. It used a 1200watt arc lamp to throw a beam off of two digitally controlled mirrors on high speed stepper motors. It allowed for a spot about 3-5" in diameter at 100'to move fast enough to shape out a letter. If you had one unit for each letter you could spell out the name of the club.

lessing

Newly Enlightened
Thinking about it, this might work. I saw in another post that someone removed the dome off a ls. If you removed the dome and put the large lens almost or directly against the emitter, the die might be small enought to begin with that you could eliminate the aperature. Then you would just have a large 6 - 10" lens train to deal with so that the optics aligned correctly. Although long, with a sliding second lens, you could dial in from a pen beam to a moderate flood. Expensive glass though, I do not think platic would be coherrant enough for this.

Well I am rambling again.

Zinje

Newly Enlightened
Well I was thinking of using a luxeon star to build myself a home-made illuminator. The reason why i want to use an luxeon star is because i don't want to use a halide lamp which produces to much heat and energy.

I am going to run a sideglow fiberoptic to decorate my backyard.

I figure i don't need a wide area of light since it is just going to be running through the fiberoptic. So I was thinking that if there was a way for me to just focus all the light through with alot of intensity.

Any more ideas?

lessing

Newly Enlightened
This is a lot simpler. I run large fiber set ups for work all the time. You do not need a thin beam at all!!! This is the great part of fiber. You just want to get as much light from the source to focus on the diameter of the end of the fiber. Once inside the fiber, internal refraction keeps it in there. You need one lens in front of the source, a plano convex would be fine. Moving it forward and back would allow you to change the angle of the light. What diameter is the fiber. If it is a decent size like 1/4" or bigger, you could just but the ls right up to the fiber. Most fiber optic pick up light readily and even if some spills around the outside it will light. You problem now seems to be length to me. The longer the run, the more light that spills out. The ls will light the fiber and it will get darker as the run extends. You may want to use several sections so that the fiber is brighter. Ls's do not put out a ton of light for a long fiber run. This sounds like a 5 watt job to me.

lessing

Newly Enlightened
If you could bring the fibers to one center location, you may be better off using 12 volt mr-11 or mr 16 lamps. They put out a lot of light in a small package and they do not get too hot.

Zinje

Newly Enlightened
Hey Lessing!

Can you please email me. You are very knowledgeable in this field.

My email is [email protected]
My aol IM is trdtrucking

I am online alot.

Latest posts