Collimator - narrow, small size aprox 16mm.

besik33

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

i'm using the commercial headlights for binocular loupes.

First headlight:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dental-LED-...Binocular-Loupe-7-DAYS-USA-USPS-/110920692823
These tiny headlights consist of the Cree XR-E Q5 + narrow beam Collimator (16mmx 11mm).

I'm trying to improve this small headlight to get more lumens per area.
- I changed the original led for new ones (CREE XP-G, XP-E R3, XM-L U2 etc.)
- I experimented with different collimators (angles approx. 6-12° ---> CREE LXP optic 6°, Gaggione LLS12N, Gaggione LLS01N).

While the new leds (CREE XP-G, XP-E R3, XM-L U2 etc.) are more lumen effective, the main problem is collimator.
I can not find collimator of the following parameters - width=16 mm, angle=5° or less.
Can you help me to find similar collimator? I need collimator which will make tight light circle – diameter approx. 4cm or less at the distance approx. 30 cm.

On the following pictures:
- LEFT side: the original led + original colimator
- RIGHT side: CREE XML U2 (strongest led) + CREE LXP optic 6° (tight light beam, but not enough) - the best combination I have found so far

Second headlight is combination of collimator and acrylic lens.
Can you recommend me the type of lens (approx 24 mm) which will concentrate the light?
I need to concentrate the light circle from 4 cm (original) to 2 cm (new).

RIGHT side - original second headlight weak and diffused light
MIDDLE - light from the first headlight
LEFT side - second headlight with collimator from the first one (however I need a little more tight circle)

Last edited:

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you talked to opticians about this project? Catch them at a slow moment; they have tons of lenses to play with. Find a combination that works, then order. Or, just ask your option to "make a monocle for your light."

Also, member ahorton is, I believe, an expert with aspheric lenses, you might contact him...

Last edited:

MikeAusC

Enlightened
To keep the lamp small, you need the lens close to the LED, this also helps to collect as much light as possible from the LED. i.e. a short focal length.

You need a lens which is very thick - at least half as thick as its diameter.