Compact headlamp + 18650 power pack

northtothefuture

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I have looked at some of the posts about headlamp recommendations but still having trouble finding exactly what I'm looking for. Currently, I have a fenix hl55 with 3400 mah 18650 battery. I've also been known to run some of the ebay specials, but build quality and safety are more important to me now. Basically, what I'm looking for is something like a Lupine lights system, but with the ability to use my own batteries instead of their closed-system. While I think its great they are doing that and opening up high powered headlamps in a foolproof way, I prefer to have more control as I'm sure many of you do :cool:

What I want
-relatively small headlamp
-external power pack, powered by 2-3 18650s, that I can put in my coat pocket to keep it warm.

Seems pretty simple right? Just can't find the right one. I like fenix build quality, but they don't have what I like. I'm not a big fan of the zebralights I've used; I just don't like their "system"

I'm running lights for outdoor activities in interior alaska, so think bitter cold and lots and lots of darkness. I'd like something in the 1000 lumen range.

Thanks everyone, and I really apologize if this has been covered to death, I just couldn't really find something that works for me!

Boko

Newly Enlightened
What about the Fenix HP30, which uses 2x18650 in a separate power pack for 900 lumens? I was going to suggest the Silva Trail Speed Elite, which has a really tiny head torch and an external battery pack, but then you'd be tied in to its own battery system, the same as Lupine.

xcandrew

Newly Enlightened
Check out the Gemini Lights Duo, Gloworm X2, and the Ituo Wiz XP2. They all use the standard Magicshine size connectors, so batteries and extension cables are compatible. The Ituo is the newest and has a lot of buzz on it in the mtbr.com lights and night riding forum. I like the looks of the 18 awg cable on it, the efficiency of the drivers, and the very responsive heat throttling behavior (though that part won't matter for you and me).

northtothefuture

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys, really liking the look of the Gemini and gloworm lights. The ituo looks pretty sweet too but it's sold out for now at least. I've considered the Demi count before but the torch part looks so huge to me and that's what I hate the most about my hl55. Seems most of these are using Panasonic protected cells, yes?

northtothefuture

Newly Enlightened
Check out the Gemini Lights Duo, Gloworm X2, and the Ituo Wiz XP2. They all use the standard Magicshine size connectors, so batteries and extension cables are compatible. The Ituo is the newest and has a lot of buzz on it in the mtbr.com lights and night riding forum. I like the looks of the 18 awg cable on it, the efficiency of the drivers, and the very responsive heat throttling behavior (though that part won't matter for you and me).

So another question that you might be able to help me with is who has the best cords for cold weather? Cables have a tendency to shatter at -40

WigglyTheGreat

Newly Enlightened
I Have several headlamps, three Zebralights, two Gloworm X2 lights, Two Lupines, and a few cheaper ones. I've used both the Gloworm and Lupine in the Winter here, but only down to about -10F so I have no idea how they would do in -40! That is a very harsh environment for most anything. The Lupine and Gloworm lights did well in my uses, but the Lupines definitely have the sturdier cable. I have no how either one would operate in extreme cold, but given the choice of course I would go with Lupine.

Though Lupine makes high quality packs, I'm not a fan of the proprietary battery packs either. I like how I can use other battery packs with the Gloworms. Magicshines, Gemini, and others should work fine with the Gloworms. I bought a 2 cell magicshine pack that works on my X2 and had the emitters swapped out to neutral white and it really has made a big improvement. The cool white is a little to sterile looking.

northtothefuture

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, yeah -40 is when things tend to go wrong. Everything wants to break when its that cold (or colder), even steel gets brittle. I know a lot of the iditarod and yukon quest mushers use the lupine systems, and they are often running in temps that can dip down to -50 or so. I think I am going to go with the gloworm or gemini, and if I have cables break then I will start making my own arctic grade cables. Do you know of any battery cases (not battery packs) for your gloworms? Im interested in using high capacity 18650 cells I already have, and want the ability to use cr123s when out in the backcountry for extended time periods.

kgrant

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, yeah -40 is when things tend to go wrong. Everything wants to break when its that cold (or colder), even steel gets brittle. I know a lot of the iditarod and yukon quest mushers use the lupine systems, and they are often running in temps that can dip down to -50 or so. I think I am going to go with the gloworm or gemini, and if I have cables break then I will start making my own arctic grade cables. Do you know of any battery cases (not battery packs) for your gloworms? Im interested in using high capacity 18650 cells I already have, and want the ability to use cr123s when out in the backcountry for extended time periods.

Any updates? Thanks

northtothefuture

Newly Enlightened
hi kgrant no updates on this yet, but I did recently order a few things and can let you know. My fenix hl55 did great in that cold snap were coming out of now, but it has no external cables to get brittle.

Szemhazai

Enlightened
I know it does not have 1000lumens, but I did some long distance races (i.e. Night Massacre in Poland - over 100 km by foot in a longest night of the year) with the Petzl NAO modified to accept the standard unprotected 18650 cells, using Panasonic NCR18650B cells. The temperatures were not too extreme (only -23*C) and the headlamp did well, 2 spare cells were just enough for the whole night.

xcandrew

Newly Enlightened
So another question that you might be able to help me with is who has the best cords for cold weather? Cables have a tendency to shatter at -40

Can't help much there, except replace when necessary. Cords are a weak point for sure. When the first Magicshine P7 came out that popularized really bright LEDs for the mountain bike crowd, the cord on that would last me only 2 weeks of runs before I'd need to put in a new one. The breaks were more from fatigue from flex cycles and poor casing material than cold temperatures. I've heard from Action LED lights that Magicshine has improved in that area and the cords on Magicshine, Gemini, and Gloworm are all about the same. My Gemini only need one cord replacement in 3 years, and that was due to my dog chewing through it (along with the battery pack, and the headstrap). I had to fix the cords my GF's Gemini a couple times, but she is less careful about not flexing the cords unnecessarily.

The driver on my Gemini Duo failed a couple months ago, and I got an inexpensive, but well liked/reviewed (on mtbr.com lights and night riding forum) copy. The Yinding XM L2 neutral white is better than my Duo was because it's 3 years newer and has neutral white LEDs. http://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_133573.html?wid=21 The downside is the month long wait for shipping from China and non-adjustability of the light levels - not a problem because I like the light levels just fine. It is actually underrated at 900 lumens - its been tested at 1200 lumens (the same as the 3 year old Gemini Duo that I had) by mtbr forum people. It's sold lighthead only at that link. You need to add a headstrap, an O-ring for mounting it, a battery pack/charger, and a strap to attach the battery pack to the headstrap (or an extension to keep the strap on your body). I use it with my Gemini headstrap and battery. Here's a video I made recently of the Yinding: https://youtu.be/RKj0zs9IbdY

Last edited: