complete list of all LED PR flange drop-in bulbs

Skibane

Enlightened
Re: all LED PR flange drop-in bulbs.....?

I just bought the Nite-Ize PR bulb last week from Walmart so i assume it is the new version. I was disappointed how dim it was. It had a terrible beam in a fixed focus light. It was OK in a maglite due to the ability to focus the beam. I guess that's why the package claims it to be a replacement for 2-6 cell C & D maglites not for generic lights. If i had last years older version i would have been really upset.
BTW, i got the Tektite LPR-10 bulb, it is IDENTICAL to the Nite-Ize bulb. It looks the same & the beam is exactly the same. I guess they both get them from the same Chinese supplier.

Interesting...

I've had one of the "old" ones for over a year, and just bought the "new" one last week (also at Wal-Mart). The performance difference is like day and night - literally! Perhaps both versions are still being sold?

BTW, the "new" one does have some slight cosmetic differences:

1. The text "Nite Ize 2-6 Cell C-D PR L.E.D." is stamped on the base of the bulb (whereas the "old" one has no text whatsoever),
2. The LED die appears to be slightly larger, and
3. The die now has 3+3 wires bonded to it (as opposed to 2+2 on the "old" one).

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast

Actually the 2 bulbs works differently for me:

1 works better than the niteize or tektite 2 cell in my 2AA host

1 works great in the 2C host, but not in the 2AA host.

all that's been mentioned on the web page is that it's CREE 1W, 2 cell

OK, i've added it to the list. Being that they don't say who makes it or provide any other info doesn't help. Being it is a Cree 1 watt & a 2 cell only bulb does it look like this one? http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/lunaled_2cell.htm

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast

Regarding the TerraLux TLE-1F bulb --

Any idea of the current draw ?

With 2 cells ?

Or . . . . with ANY number of cells ?

BTW, the TerraLux website sez that this is a NEW item.

Is it really New ? Or is that simply an older listing ?

Hey TerraLux, how about a Cree version ? :party:

_

Burgess,

The TLE-1F was introduced in Feb. 2007.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast

it looks different, I'll see if I can take a photo or find one similar.

Oh well, that theory go out the window then. I only thought of that because they were 1) both 1 watt CREE bulbs & 2) both 2 cell only bulbs.
The Nite-Ize & Tektite LPR-10 are both the same in every way.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast

Interesting...

I've had one of the "old" ones for over a year, and just bought the "new" one last week (also at Wal-Mart). The performance difference is like day and night - literally! Perhaps both versions are still being sold?

BTW, the "new" one does have some slight cosmetic differences:

1. The text "Nite Ize 2-6 Cell C-D PR L.E.D." is stamped on the base of the bulb (whereas the "old" one has no text whatsoever),
2. The LED die appears to be slightly larger, and
3. The die now has 3+3 wires bonded to it (as opposed to 2+2 on the "old" one).

I didn't notice anything stamped on the base so i must have gotten a old version bulb. I was so disappointed in the bulb & gave it to a neighbor who had a 3D Maglite with an incan bulb. He thought it was great because he never had a drop-in before.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast

John2551/LEDninja

Wow, keep it up on your findings guys, it could stimulate a group buy. We've all got some oldies waiting for the day new bulbs can breathe fire into them. Are there any useful bulbs for experimenting from those Asian online dealers? The right LED bulbs will recycle some of mine for sure. The stubbies are the 4AA Dorcy re-branded to Reactor at Home Hardware Canada? Formerly True Blue/Turtle light? Kudos for this sticky! (Please)

Many thanks.
marlite

Marlite,

The LunaLEDs is an Asian online dealer for the CREE drop-in. Nobody has chimed in as of yet to say they have one. If you want to experiment with that one & report back, that will help us all.

Thanks,

John

mkrabach

Newly Enlightened
I kept the packaging from the old Nite Ize PR bulb.The mfg number is on the bottom of the back side. The old is LRB-07-PR, whereas the new packaging mentioned on a previous post is LRB-07-PRSC. I am going to check at my local Walmart for the new package.

Update: Just purchased the new Nite Ize LRB-07-PRSC PR bulb from Walmart. Yes, the mfg number is PRSC for new one and the blister pack is smaller than the old packaging. Measurements from a lux meter (dealextreme) thru a tube to keep the distance and reflectance constant, give the following for an old PR vs the new PRSC bulb. With 2 AA, old/new, 95/125 ma, 25,800/51,000 lux. With 4AA, old/new, 55/118 ma, 22,300/69,500 lux. I have slightly different values from other old versions of the bulb, and had one fail in the regulator circuit. So the new one is at least twice as bright as the old version.

.wysiwyg { background-attachment: scroll; background-repeat: repeat; background-position: 0% 0%; background-color: #f5f5ff; background-image: none; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal } p { margin: 0px; }

Last edited:

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
mkrabach,

Well then i SURELY had the old version because it was very dim & don't remember any engraving on the bulb sleeve.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast

Regarding the TerraLux TLE-1F bulb --
Any idea of the current draw ?
With 2 cells ?_

With 2D cells I ahve measured it a 0.48 A

I amy take my mag4D to measure when i return home, but I will have some drinks shortly so I may forget:D:devil:

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast

I only tried the TLE-1F in a 2 cell light & it was the brightest of all the ones i tested. It may be even brighter in a 3 or 4 cell light.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast

By the way, has anyone tried any of these PR bulbs in a 1 cell light?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
The superbrightleds PR2-WVR works as well on 1 cell as on 4. I have one in a skinny Dorcy AAA.
The SMJLED PR (lighthound) and Tectite LPR-2 glow dimly.
The Terralux TLE-1F does not work at all.
I only tried with a 1.2V NiMH and a dummy cell.

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEDninja,

Can you send me some links to some 1AA hosts or that 1AAA dorcy you mentioned.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not know of any 1AA light that uses a PR based bulb.

My skinny Dorcy AAA is a Gen 3 Dorcy with the head removed. The tailcap of another Dorcy minus the button and hang ring is used as the new bezel.
Here is Robocop's mod. Robocop filed down his reflector & lens so his unit is protected from the rain. The rest of us do not have the patience and the LED just sticks out the hole in the bezel and exposed to the elements.
I tried the superbrightleds bulb (have to file down the flange a bit) and it worked. For the PR2 bulb you need the optic version. The bodies of the older reflector version is too long.

That was 2005. Now it is just a matter of browsing through DX or Kai to find a light that suits my needs.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
These say they have a "krypton bulb" but don't know if that means PR or bi-pin?
http://www.dorcy.com/products.aspx?p=464001
Bi-pin,
Threading feels very coarse. Very soft rear clicky. Very long for an AAA light.

It has a very small bulb that looks like this one:
http://www.lighthound.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1360

Have not come across this one.

Remember some of these small flashlights use a screw based bulb.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
Greetings all!

I have measured almost all the PR bulb drop-ins I have and the figures are a killer.

First these measurements prove the value of a good focusing reflector. You will understand it when you reach the Xenon figures.
BTW "tight focus" means as tight hotspot as can be. Otherwise the spot is set to the widest possible WITHOUT getting a dark center

Read on…

Flashlight -----------------Bulb-----------------------------Lux Box--Lux Hotspot---Lux Spill
Fulton Anglehead 2D HPR52 Bulb (Halogen) -55 -----------1263 --------------21---
----------------------------------SS SMJLED------------------26 ------------238 ---------------14
----------------------------------TerraLUX TL-1F------------32------------186-----------------15
Mag 4D--------------------- TLE-6EX Medium Focus--275 ---------1665 --------------39
------------------------------------------------Tight Focus -----292 ---------7360 --------------56
---------------------------------Xenon ---Tight Focus------205 ---------13028 -------------49
---------------------------------TL-1F ----Medium Focus---79 -----------912 ----------------16
-----------------------------------------------Tight Focus ------76 ----------2490 ---------------21

Now compare the TLE-6EX performance when changing flashlight…
ALSO here is a list of the Modules current draw

TLE-6EX - 0.54A
TLE-1F - 0.48A (2D maglite)
TLE-1F - 0.19A (4D maglite)
SMJLED - 0.19A (the new Sandwich Shoppe one)

I was thinking.....does it worth installing the TLF-1 in a low end flashlight?

john2551

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kostas,

You are right. The TLE-1F isn't worth installing in a low end flashlight because most low end flashlights are 2AA or 2D. The TLE-1F is made for lights with 2-6 cells. The SMJLED is a 2 cell only bulb & most cheap lights are 2 cell anyways. So my conclusion is if you need a bulb for a cheap 2 cell light buy the SMJLED. If you need a bulb for different size lights & lanterns(+voltage) buy the TLE-1F. I've ordered the Dorcy bulb & will write back after i've had a chance to test it.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm...I do not know about the point you make....Has I had a 2C/D maglite to test it...

But my poiunt was made on a different basis. You need a good adjustable focusing reflector to take full advantage of it. Something cheap lights usually do not have.

well things ARE clearing up aren't they?

Last edited: