conservative throwy 18650 light

mickb

Enlightened
Hi Guys, just after a conservative 18650 light if such exists anymore. Would love something like the old armytek predator with the g2 at 560 lumens( which my brother owns) or even under 1000. Must have on full at high option at least, anything else not too fussy about. Im not a flashlight guy, just a duty user and I see lumens have gone even crazier than last time I had to buy a light.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight Polytac X is a decent 18650 duty light - 600 lumens, can be set to high only with the ten tap. Has a good throw for this type of light, but you can get more with the Polytac HP, which will only take a 16650, though you can run 18650's with the HP head on a X body.

I posted some info on this -

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends on your requirements & budget. What range are you likely to use the light at? Im usually quick to recommend Malkoff, in this case a MD2 w. M61T/M61HOT or a Hound Dog. With the hi/low switch they can come ON in high or low, since its selected by head twist. Dead simple & reliable really.

To my Knowledge Armytek still sells many of their older models, often at big discounts. Ive been quite happy with my predator pro v3. These also use a head twist interface with the option for high only & reach quite far.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I second the Malkoff MD2 with high/low ring, for a conservative 18650 light. I have used Malkoff's at work for years. They keep working after much rough treatment. Also, there are a lot of different drop in options. I have had good luck with Elzetta and Surefire also, but I don't have any of their lights that can use 18650 ,

mickb

Enlightened
Thanks fells well I got a Fenix PD32 V 2.0, top end at 1200 lumens is bit more than I like but its fairly light and its medium function 350 lumens still gets 12000cd or so, which has some use for me too. Malkoff are amazing but too expensive for me. As to convoy I got a s2 a while back for a shorter range weapon light, some kind of osram emitter from simon the alieexpress shop guy. Too many knowledge pitfalls for non-flashaholics like myself. Turns up and I learn they are not really waterproof, 1400lumens really sucks a battery, also has a glow in the dark ring around the head , not exactly great on a weapon light lol. I know there are probably options to get around the above issues but I dont have the expertise.

Last edited:

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
Nice to hear, hope the purchase makes you happy (y)

Only one thing you said is strange: all of my Convoy tube lights (S2, S2+ and S21A) have very good waterproofing, just not an official Ingress Protection (IPXX) rating. From my experience I'd comfortably say they're IP67, if not IP68.

mickb

Enlightened
the ingress protection is what I meant then, I sometimes cross or wade creeks when hunting.

There's a Convoy S21 for sale here.

Professionally modded with a monster emitter and 4500 lumens output and warranty through March 2023 backed by Vinh at SkyLumen.

It has a fully programmable VN4 driver with instructions here. It can do full blast 100% at power on, or other stepped levels.

mickb

Enlightened
You misunderstood, Mick. The Convoys do have ingress protection and quite a lot of it, it's just not OFFICIALLY rated.
My S2 didnt, and there are reports on budgetlighforums as well with water getting in for other users.

the c8's I agree have good protection, I owned a stock one and one modded by Plfexpro and both took whatever I could throw at them, or them into

mickb

Enlightened
There's a Convoy S21 for sale here.

Professionally modded with a monster emitter and 4500 lumens output and warranty through March 2023 backed by Vinh at SkyLumen.

It has a fully programmable VN4 driver with instructions here. It can do full blast 100% at power on, or other stepped levels.
Not sure if you read the opening post, after conservative lumens, preferably under 1000. Also I have already bought the light I need.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is just for conversation since you've found your light.
Waterproof is just a fancy way of saying orings at the lens and threads.
For the tailcap or sideswitch to be waterproof at the switch, the rubber switch button has to act as an oring and be sammiched between two surfaces, or expodied. Some of my lights have gaps for 2 orings on the threads.

I'd try to keep any light out of the water since the waterproofing of non-dive lights just depends on the O-ring fit.

Last edited:

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
My S2 didnt, and there are reports on budgetlighforums as well with water getting in for other users.

the c8's I agree have good protection, I owned a stock one and one modded by Plfexpro and both took whatever I could throw at them, or them into
Oh, I know those. Those are about the models with the stainless steel bezel that screws on the inside of the head, like the M2 or the S12. Those indeed are not waterproof, because the o-ring sits between the lens and the reflector and only stops the lens from rattling.

But the S2+, the S21A and the M1 models are different, they're waterproof in the same design as the C8. The bezel has a "lip" and the o-ring gets sandwiched between the "lip" and the lens, so it's compressed and seals against water ingress.

(I'd make a schematic, but my drawing skills sit between ATROCIOUS and NONEXISTENT :barf: )

As kerneldrop said, this is just for conversation, though.

At the risk of appearing crass and tooting my own horn, I have a new-in-box ArmyTek 18650 Doberman thrower weapon light for sale in the marketplace, at a significant discount from retail. Link below:

Ignore the first SkyLumen listing...the Doberman appears at the end of the thread.

DaveTheDude