Contemplating SST-90 build! wacha think?

h22

Newly Enlightened
Was thinking of building a SST-90 ( or possibly 50 ) using this head http://www.lighthound.com/Lumens-Factory-P7-M-Head-Assembly_p_3248.html (A P7 surefire "M" replacement ) and a leef body.

This would be more expencive than a Mag-mod, but far more robust!

So.... questions are:

Is there a huge physical differance between the P7 and SST-90?

What driver board would be recomended? (if I recall, The P7 is a sieries multi emmitter and requires more voltage.... am I correct here?).

If anyone has played with swapping out a P7 for the either of the SST's could you give me some insight?

If I have remember all the specs correctly, the SSt-50 would be roughly ths same output as the P7, just a single die pattern.

If a SST-90 could be built to pump out 2000+lm :devil:, That would be a sweet yet portable CANNON!!

h22

Newly Enlightened
Well according to the chart on here, it can put out 2250 lumens at 9.0 A:

http://www.luminus.com/stuff/conten...3_sst_90_w_product_datasheet_illumination.pdf

From what I read about the SST-50, it's capable of 1250+ lumens when driven to 5.0 A:

http://www.luminus.com/stuff/conten...2_sst_50_w_product_datasheet_illumination.pdf

Thanks, was just looking at the 90 spec sheet, And found a few threads on Mag-mods that are pushing well past 9 amps...:faint: :poof:

The 50 would be alright, but as far as an " upgrade" to the P7 already mounted in the head, its not as sexy. A P7 will do almost what the 50 will, granted the 50 should have a better patern, being a single die.

If a SST-90 were put in and powered by 3 Nmh cells, ( providing adequate current and low voltage drop ) it would make for a super simple direct drive....
If i read the specs on the Leef tubes correctly, they will fit a C sized battery. I've seen C sized NmH cells advertizing 6000mah, so at 1.5C that would be ~30-45min of massive light output. providing the temp stayed down, wich i highly doubt!

Nightray

Newly Enlightened
Just got my SST-90 (W57S-F11-GN200) from Avnet. Tried it direct drive with a few battery configurations to see what would happen before deciding which host it would live in. Here's the subjective results with only eyeball to judge brightness.

1 CR123A = no light (edit - dim light)

1 gray Trustfire protected 16340 = bright light
2 gray Trustfire protected 16340 parallel = very slightly brighter than single cell

1 blue Trustfire protected 18650 = bright light, slightly brighter than 16340
2 blue Trustfire protected 18650 parallel = very slightly brighter than single cell

2 Eneloop in series = no light
3 Eneloop in series = slight flicker
4 Eneloop in series = brightest of all tested

Last edited:

h22

Newly Enlightened
Just got my SST-90 (W57S-F11-GN200) from Avnet. Tried it direct drive with a few battery configurations to see what would happen before deciding which host it would live in. Here's the subjective results with only eyeball to judge brightness.

1 CR123A = no light

1 16340 = bright light
2 16340 parallel = very slightly brighter than single cell

1 18650 = bright light, slightly brighter than 16340
2 18650 parallel = very slightly brighter than single cell

2 Eneloop in series = no light
3 Eneloop in series = slight flicker

4 Eneloop in series = brightest of all tested

Very usefull, thanks.
I am wondering if the li-pos were protected? it would be good to see amp draw as well!

My thought's are that C sized NMh might do the trick, 3 @ 3.6v is right in there as far as the 90's voltage range, however I'm pretty sure there would be some voltage drop! 4 in series would definatly do it in DD but would it :poof: the emmitter hitting it with 4.8+v?
The Leef bodies are designed to carry 26mm ( C sized?) batteries, and this would allow nice long run times. While a MAGmod is cheeper and offers more flexibility, I want mine to be built like a tank!

h22

Newly Enlightened
What 18650 cells were you using? last I read the best cells for high C were the AW2600ma, but they were <6 amps....

in any case please keep me informed on your progress! thanks

Nightray

Newly Enlightened
Edited original post with specifics.

2.5A measured with the 4S Eneloop.

Now, my question is, what's the ideal serial/parallel configuration to drive it harder? Will this bring it to 7.5A?

3 Parallel of (4 Serial) like this...

|-----------------------(SST-90)---------------------|
|+(Eneloop)-+(Eneloop)-+(Eneloop)-+(Eneloop)-|

Or, 4 Serial of (3 Parallel) like this...

|--------------------------------(SST-90)-------------------------------|
| |+(Eneloop)-| |+(Eneloop)-| |+(Eneloop)-| |+(Eneloop)-| |
|+|+(Eneloop)-|-+|+(Eneloop)-|-+|+(Eneloop)-|-+|+(Eneloop)-|-|
| |+(Eneloop)-| |+(Eneloop)-| |+(Eneloop)-| |+(Eneloop)-| |

Futile attempt to do ASCII art when the spaces get automatically removed.

I guess the first question is how to indicate serial/parallel configurations with text : )

Last edited:

Nightray

Newly Enlightened
Shortened test lead and now I'm getting some light out of the CR123.

Looks like voltage drop across even short sections of wire are making a difference.

Airsick

Newly Enlightened
I am running 3 sub C /Elite 5000 in a Mag direct drive and seeing 11 amps just off the charger. After they sit a while it will hit 9.5 amps and taper down from there. NiMH hobby cells are cheap and hold up to the amp draw very well.

h22

Newly Enlightened
Shortened test lead and now I'm getting some light out of the CR123.

Looks like voltage drop across even short sections of wire are making a difference.

Yea, We are dealing with a lot of amps and low voltage, So standard test leads are probly going to give you trouble when attempting real world tests.
I have seen others have issues with this as well. So when in doubt, use BIG 'olmshort wires.

there is another guy who has a C Mag with 26650's ( I think ) puttong 11 amps to an SST-90. Think It would be wise to study his efforts!